Ethnicity
    Germanic American
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I just noticed it was a rusty car bolt, that is probably torqued in there pretty good.
    He will probably need to use some WD-40, or a blow torch or something to help it.
    Perhaps even the largest size Phillips screw driver may not be enough.

Eala Freia Fresena
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 5th, 2019 @ 03:10 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Friese
    Ancestry
    Friesland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Montana Montana
    Married
    Occupation
    selfemployed
    Politics
    rightwing
    Religion
    none/pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Seems to me too that if you couldn't open it with a wrench/nut you might not be able to open it with a screwdriver type tool.

Don't know whether you have the space to drill it to put an easy out in, but that worked fine the times I had to use it. As the easy out turn in the opposite direction a screw turns in, you can use it well with lots of force. the only problem is that there is a leverage between the impact of the easy-out (basically the screw) and the end of the easy-out (usually a four cornered end for some tool to turn the easy out). So be careful not to put the easy-out into an angle but keep in in line with the screw. Wear heavy gloves because it might break loose and your hands may hit some metal.

WD40 is universal and a good method, I tried it and was helpful often but not always.

To loosen the screw you can also hammer it (not full force but with 'feeling').

If you can take the caliper off than put the screw into the vise-grip and turn as heavy as you can, than use the caliper to turn, when you don't have enough force use a leverage like a crowfoot.

Hammer an impact nut on it and then give short shots on the gun, might work or not.

the ultimae ratio is to drill the screw out and put a new thread into it, slightly bigger than the one which was in there before.
    weel nich will dieken dej mot wieken

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Monday, May 9th, 2016 @ 04:50 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German (7/16), Norvegian from Telemark (1/4), Irish (1/8), French (1/8), Flemish? (1/16)
    Subrace
    Alpine/Nordish/Faelid
    Country
    State
    Minnesota Minnesota
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    German supremacist
    Religion
    Holy Bible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralf Rossa View Post
    I thought the bolt had siezed?
    How on earth do you think you are going to achieve the torque to unscrew using a screwdriver?
    Even if you could get some leverage to twist the screwdriver enough, you would probably find the screwdriver blade bends before the both will break free.
    Hehe. I guess you're right about that. Yes the bolt is seized in there pretty good. I'd probably just end up busting the screwdriver in the process. If you cannot get it with a wrench or socket, then a screwdriver ain't going to do jack.

Probably the next method to try would be the vice grip locked on tightly as a means of turning the nut as Leonhardt recommended. And of course, industrial amounts of penetrating oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocko View Post
    If you can take the caliper off than put the screw into the vise-grip and turn as heavy as you can, than use the caliper to turn, when you don't have enough force use a leverage like a crowfoot.
    Wouldn't a handheld vice grip pliers that would work just as well without having to remove the caliper?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, February 1st, 2019 @ 12:04 AM
    Ethnicity
    Old Prussian / English
    Ancestry
    Baltic Prussian, English, German
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Pommerania Pommerania
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    Anti-Globalist
    Religion
    Early pre-trinitarian Christiani
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Wallflower, have you not tried the idea I mentioned in my first post?
    Get a 6 sided socket http://www.google.co.uk/search?clien...w=1141&bih=666 or get a socket thats marginally too tight to fit the bolt, then hammer that socket onto the bolt, it will even slightly reform the deformed hex back into the shape of a hex.

Nothing will give you as much grip as the above, vice grips will just round your hex off even more, belive me, I was a mechanic for many years.

AS for WD 40, whilst it does have some penetrating properties, its primary purpose was as a water dispersant, it used to be called Rocket WD40, and was used by the war department to prevent water damage on rockets.
    The best product for this application is, funnily enough, called penetraiting oil.

Last Online
    Wednesday, June 27th, 2012 @ 08:58 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    England England
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wallflower View Post
    I ended up rounding off the corners of a hex bolt head I have been trying to loosen from mistakenly using the wrong size socket to begin with, and looking to see if anyone here is familiar with rounded out bolt ends and has any suggestions for removing or repairing the hex end once it's corners have been rounded if its possible to do so.

The other day while attempting to remove a stuck on, rusty bolt on the brake caliper of an oldcar (it is rusted in there like Helheim, not an easy removal)., I ended up rounding off the corners of the hex bolt, and no size socket will turn the head, since the tool cannot grip the rounded head and hence loosen it. Actually I thought I had some success turning it when really the all the tool was doing was stripping the corners and not loosening it at all!

Anyway, the corners of the bolts are rounded and no size socket will grip them.

Can someone please advise/recommend what to do here? Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.
    My advice is to weld two pieces of steel together as in the picture below and then weld the bottom of the tool to the head of the nut,and then having more room to move the bolt should come off.
    Coca cola is pretty good at loosening the bolt.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Monday, May 9th, 2016 @ 04:50 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German (7/16), Norvegian from Telemark (1/4), Irish (1/8), French (1/8), Flemish? (1/16)
    Subrace
    Alpine/Nordish/Faelid
    Country
    State
    Minnesota Minnesota
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    German supremacist
    Religion
    Holy Bible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Thank you guys for offering your ideas, I was finally able to remove the bolts, but they had to be torched out. No socket could be hammered into the nut, and just as Ralf Rossa indicated, the vise grip method only further rounded the hex. Torching was the only successful method of removal. This was accomplished by heating the bolts with the torch, then using a ratchet, socket and extention with a pipe at the handle end to torque them out. And of course, industrial amounts of penetrating oil.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12