Monday, May 27th, 2019 @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Age of Enlightenment, Freemasonry and the Jewish Connection

In this video the Israeli man talks about "Judification", the consept of chooseness in the Jewish ideology, Jewish Supremacism and its relation with the sons and daughters of enlightment but he doesn't goes deep enough about the origins of the connection between Judaism and Enlightment and i suspect the answer is in Freemasonry.

Freemasonry and Judaism : Vicomte Leon de Poncins : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Freemasonry & Judaism: Secret Powers Behind Revolution

The Age of Enlightenment (or simply the Enlightenment) is the era in Western philosophy, intellectual, scientific and cultural life, centered upon the 18th century, in which reason was advocated as the primary source for legitimacy and authority. It is also known as the Age of Reason.

Developing simultaneously in France, Great Britain, Germany, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Portugal and the American colonies, the movement culminated in the Atlantic Revolutions, especially the success of the American Revolution, which resulted in independence from the British Empire.

The authors of the American Declaration of Independence, the United States Bill of Rights, the French Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen, and the Polish–Lithuanian Constitution of May 3, 1791, were motivated by Enlightenment principles.

Age of Enlightenment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Historians have recently been debating the extent to which Freemasonry was part of, or even a main factor in the Enlightenment. On the one hand, historians agree that the famous leaders of the Enlightenment included Freemasons such as Montesquieu, Voltaire, Pope, Horace Walpole, Sir Robert Walpole, Mozart, Goethe, Frederick the Great, Benjamin Franklin, and George Washington.

Freemasonry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moses Mendelssohn (1729–1786) German Jewish Philosopher of Jewish Enlightenment in Prussia (Haskalah), honoured by his friend Lessing in his drama as Nathan the Wise.

Moses Mendelssohn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Baruch Spinoza (1632–1677) Dutch Jewish philosopher who is considered to have laid the groundwork for the 18th-century Enlightenment.

Baruch Spinoza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society."

~Aristotle

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, July 25th, 2011 @ 05:36 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Franco-American
    Ancestry
    Frankish, Langobard, Scots, Norman, Goth, Bretagne, Bavarian, English.
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Happily married
    Politics
    Meritocracy
    Religion
    Unusual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    First, I'd like to say that the so-called Sephardic Jews who have moved back to Israel have recently been shown, in genetic testing, to have little in common with Jews from elsewhere (just like Ashkenazi Jews) and are quite distinctive, genetically, from Jews who stayed in and around the Eastern Mediterranean al this time.

So I guess Spinoza is Jewish, but I bet his DNA would show a fair injection Portuguese genes. At any rate, I always have a hard time with this question of whether someone who promotes rationality over religion can really be a member of a religion.

The Wikipedia article emphasizes his Jewishness, but actual scholars throw some doubt on whether he was Jewish.

I'm just curious - if a good thinker is Jewish, or of Jewish descent (even if they explicitly reject the religious parts of Judaism or even if they have demonstrably non-Jewish ancestry as well) - how do Skadi members think about this?

One of my favorite thinkers had Jewish ancestors, but I see absolutely nothing in his thinking that relates to Judaism - quite the opposite. He ended up with Catholic rites and was buried in a Catholic ceremony. But some of his ancestors identified as Jewish.

The person I'm speaking of downplayed his Jewishness, that's for sure - and there are some things I feel might sound anti-Semitic if I said any more, and I'm not anti-Semitic (I'm just not happy when people are called Jewish if 1) they themselves don't see themselves as Jewish or 2) they are of such mixed ancestry that the claim to Judaism may be merely a way of associating with highly successful enclaves of Jews - usually through marriage, because such enclaves did/do exist.

I believe Spinoza also downplayed his Jewishness, especially after his ideas brought him into direct conflict with the teachings of the Yeshiva. He was apparently excommunicated from Judaism, or at least they tried to get rid of him.

Being rational, Spinoza wasn't popular with most religious groups of his day.

For me, Descartes is the most important founder of the Enlightenment, but Spinoza certainly took up the mantle and without Spinoza, very little rational work would have been done in the late 17th century.
    Always recognize that human individuals are ends, and do not use them as means to your end.
    ~~Immanuel Kant~~

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, February 1st, 2019 @ 12:04 AM
    Ethnicity
    Old Prussian / English
    Ancestry
    Baltic Prussian, English, German
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Pommerania Pommerania
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    Anti-Globalist
    Religion
    Early pre-trinitarian Christiani
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
    I'm just curious - if a good thinker is Jewish, or of Jewish descent (even if they explicitly reject the religious parts of Judaism or even if they have demonstrably non-Jewish ancestry as well) - how do Skadi members think about this?
    Ive got nothing against Jews as such, without Jewish money I wonder if the West would ever have achieved the industrial greatness it has.
    And the Jews do make a lot of interesting movies, and some of thier music is lovely.

It is the Jewish ideology I detest, the promotion of the "master race", the parasitic control of other cultures, thier wars and murders. If a Jew is honest and condemns what his people are doing, hats off to him!

Two of my hero Jews and from which I glean a great deal of inside information about what is really going on in the world.
    http://www.rense.com/
    http://www.realzionistnews.com/?cat=152

Regarding Jews and Freemasonry, as allways I like to remind people what the Protocols of Zion say on any given subject.
    They state that Freemasonry was taken over by the Jews in order to get the Goyim Elite to do thier bidding.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    FREEMASONRY AS A SOURCE OF JEWISH CIVIC RIGHTS IN LATE EIGHTEENTH-CENTURY VIENNA AND PHILADELPHIA: A STUDY IN ATLANTIC HISTORY.

I. INTRODUCTION: FREEMASONRY, THE ENLIGHTENMENT, AND ATLANTIC HISTORY

Separated by thousands of miles, Vienna and Philadelphia during the early 1780s developed into major centers for the promotion of Jewish civic rights.(1) Moreover, at this time, high degree Freemasonry, that conferred degrees beyond the third, flourished as well in both urban environments. More importantly, Freemasonry, whose rituals embodied salient secular and ethical tenets of the Enlightenment, helped to advance the cause of Jews in numerous ways. This essay examines and contrasts the thinking and activities of Viennese Josephinian Masonic enlighteners and Philadelphia republican Masons concerning Jewish civic rights during the late eighteenth century. Such an analysis is warranted, for it reveals much in the comparative sense about Freemasonry's role in Atlantic history. That is to say, Freemasonry, in various ways, assisted in diffusing pertinent Enlightenment ideologies in these two urban hubs located on both sides of the Atlantic.

Several central theses are developed in this article. In striving to uplift the status of Jews, Masons connected with the True Harmony Lodge of Vienna supported major Josephinian reform proposals, while those in the Lodge of Perfection of Philadelphia espoused liberal and republican ideologies.(2) The second thesis is that to improve the plight of Jews, Masons in both urban settings favored the implementation of Enlightenment and Masonic doctrines concerning state building, natural liberties, economic and business incentive, and social assimilation. The third thesis is that these principles and other moral tenets of the Enlightenment would constitute the basis of Masonic civil religions in both cities and would be embraced in efforts to further the cause of Jews.(3) The last thesis is that Viennese and Philadelphia Masons often operated within the institutional structure of high degree Masonry to promote Jewish civic rights.

II. THE ENLIGHTENMENT REFORM PROGRAM OF JOSEPH II AND THE JEWS OF VIENNA

After becoming Habsburg emperor in 1780, Joseph II for several reasons did institute measures to ameliorate the status of some propertied Jews in Vienna. There certainly were ideological motives. Tenets in literature evidently helped to shape Joseph's thinking about Jews in the Habsburg Empire; concepts regarding religious toleration and civic betterment for Jews appeared in major treatises by Moses Mendelssohn and in Nathan the Wise (1779) by Gotthold Ephraim Lessing.(4) Joseph became a proponent of civic liberties for Jews and other minority groups within his empire. He also was a strong advocate of cameralist and utilitarian ideologies; the emperor realized that to improve Habsburg banking, industrial, and business life, he would be required to extend civic liberties to important minority and religious groups within the empire. As part of his embracing imperial reform program, Joseph issued on October 20, 1781 an Edict of Toleration to abolish disabilities imposed on Lutherans and Calvinists within the empire.(5) The emperor also realized that similar to these Protestant sects, Jews constituted an important component for the economic viability of his empire. Consequently, the next year, he provided help especially to wealthy Viennese Jewish families, who had been expelled in 1670 from the imperial capital by Leopold I, but who gradually during the next hundred years were allowed to return to it.(6)

The measures of Joseph in 1782 to assist Jews in the imperial capital reflected major recommendations of the Staatsrat. In endorsing most of the proposals of this body, the emperor on January 2 of that year promulgated a patent with rather moderate provisions relating to the civic and economic activities of Jews in Vienna and in other Austrian provinces. This edict, among other things, stipulated that to participate in civic life, Jews in Vienna were required to purchase from the government letters of toleration; it also stipulated that Jews with a tolerated status were allowed to attend state schools and universities. According to this Josephinian patent, tolerated Jews could engage in trade and in business and could serve as moneylenders. Finally, tolerated Jews were no longer required to pay the Leibmaut, a tax levied on livestock.(7)

This Josephinian patent concerning Jewish civic rights in Vienna and in Austrian lands produced several major effects. The emperor's edict was to be pretty much restricted to the economic realm; it was intended to encourage tolerated Court Jews to participate in business, in industry, in finance, and especially in military contracting. The Josephinian patent as well did help to produce some economic and social assimilation. A few upper middle-class Jewish Viennese families did benefit from this patent: namely, the Oppenheimers, who were financiers and military contractors, and the Wertheimers and Arnsteins, who were wholesale merchants. This edict, however, failed to grant wealthy Viennese Jews religious toleration, political privileges, and other citizenship rights.(8) The last significant effect concerned the thinking of Josephinian enlighteners about this edict. Some moderate enlighteners, who were in many instances actively involved in Viennese Freemasonry, praised Joseph for his efforts to improve the status of Jews in that city. Other radical Josephinian writers, who also were associated with the Craft in the imperial capital, felt that the emperor had not gone far enough in granting Jews their civic rights.(9)

III. HIGH DEGREE MASONRY, THE VIENNESE TRUE HARMONY LODGE, AND JOSEPH II's JEWISH REFORMS

As a result of the Masonic Patent of January 1781, which demonstrated that Joseph would permit the operations of the Craft in the Empire, Vienna developed into a center of Freemasonry.(10) The imperial capital became the home first of the Austrian Provincial Grand Lodge between 1777 and 1783 and then of the Grand Lodge of Austria between 1784 and 1787. Aristocratic leadership as well surfaced in Viennese Masonry at this time. Prince Dietrichstein between 1777 and 1787 headed both high degree grand lodge bodies and governed a huge Masonic empire which consisted of lodges in Austria, Croatia, Hungary, and Transylvania. More importantly, he succeeded in recruiting Josephinian enlighteners to administrative offices in the grand lodge and to leadership positions in Viennese local lodges.(11) Consequently, under Dietrichstein, Zinnendorf Freemasonry was perceived by Viennese enlighteners as a valuable institution involved with the implementation of the emperor's reform program. Paradoxically, Zinnendorf Freemasonry, which never recognized in Vienna the Jewish-dominated secret Order of the Asiatic Brethren, consisted practically of no Jewish members. However, prominent Josephinians associated with Zinnendorf lodges in the imperial capital solidly backed the cause of improving the civil status of Jews in Vienna.(12)

Another major reason for the appeal of Zinnendorf Masonry to Josephinian advocates of imperial reforms and Jewish civic rights concerned the operations of the Viennese True Harmony. Organized in March of 1781 by Ignatz von Born, who served as its first master, this lodge was empowered to function as a Viennese learned society and filled a cultural void in a city that lacked such institutions. Recognized as the most significant learned society in the history of the Masonic order, the True Harmony Lodge promoted a variety of cultural activities; it served as a locus for scientific research and encouraged the study of literature and philosophy. Moreover, this lodge especially developed into a center for Josephinian Masons who embraced the cause of state reforms. In addition to issuing a scientific journal which was edited by the geologist Ignatz von Born, the lodge also published a literary journal which was edited by the eminent writer Alois Blumauer.(13) The Journal fur Freymaurer proved to be of special importance, for some articles appearing in this Masonic literary organ focused on issues relating to Jewish rights in Vienna and to other reforms of the emperor.(14) Blumauer succinctly explains how members of the True Harmony should strive to abolish religious inequities and civic injustices and to foster the cause of the Enlightenment in the imperial capital.

Masonry is dedicated to the advancement of the arts, sciences, and
    humanity.... Members of the Eintracht have been assigned to determine the
    laws of Nature and to work for the improvement of society; they are members
    of the cultural nobility, writing poetry, philosophizing about society, and
    opposing fanaticism and intolerance directed against religious groups....
    Dedicated to the advancement of wisdom and virtue, lodge members have
    probed Nature and have attempted to apply her laws for the improvement of
    the state. Similar to the ancients, the modern Masons of the Eintracht are
    striving to end the injustices of contemporary society....(15)

Members of the cultural nobility of the True Harmony Lodge perceived significant ethical teachings and legends of Zinnendorf Masonry as being meaningful; these aristocratic and middle-class enlighteners seemed to associate moral tenets of this nine degree ritual system with a civil religion based on state reform. Zinnendorf Masonry consisted of a Templar Degree. This degree emphasized medieval legends and tenets relating to the powers of the monarchy and to the role and virtues of the nobility; this degree and others of Zinnendorf Masonry also embodied doctrines concerning courage, honor, charity, civil obedience, justice, and religious toleration. Moreover, these tenets seemed to appeal to leaders and members of the True Harmony who lauded Joseph for trying to abolish civic injustices and for introducing measures to extend toleration to wealthy Jews in Vienna.(16)

There was a prominent lodge administrator who had …

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-69372507.html

~Aristotle

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, July 25th, 2011 @ 05:36 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Franco-American
    Ancestry
    Frankish, Langobard, Scots, Norman, Goth, Bretagne, Bavarian, English.
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Happily married
    Politics
    Meritocracy
    Religion
    Unusual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It's hard to figure out how Jews managed to make so much money without simultaneously believing in themselves as an exclusive, chosen group. The two really work well together. If that's what it takes to get a group to create capital, then all groups that are tightly knit through bonds of both kinship and religion are going to continue making money more easily (I'm thinking of oil cartels, drug cartels and the Mormons, too - not that I think Mormons or Jews or oil cartels are evil like drug cartels, but it's the same set of principles).

Most Americans do not think about patronizing a business because of the religion or the ethnicity of its owners (but Jews and Mormons frequently do - and it helps those businesses, that's for sure).

But, wasn't the Enlightenment about ending all forms of prejudice based on irrational dislike? If the Masons came to believe (if I'm following all this properly and I may not be) that Jews were being treated unjustly and that the cause of the treatment was not rational, then it would make sense for Masons to promote civil liberties for Jews.

I was just reading again today about Hitler's treatment of the Wittgenstein family (what a bizarre story the whole thing is, in the end, I think) who were exempted from being treated like regular Jews (due to their great wealth - which was largely confiscated by Hitler in return for allowing them to remain outside the camps). I am collapsing the story a little, but it was interesting to read about the proclamations that allowed a very small number of Jews to be treated very differently than all the rest. I think in most cases the very rich Jews could also claim some noble German ancestry if they looked back far enough (but I'm not sure that was always true - I need to research that).
    Always recognize that human individuals are ends, and do not use them as means to your end.
    ~~Immanuel Kant~~

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Haskalah

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/.../Haskalah.html

Haskalah (Hebrew: השכלה‎; "enlightenment," "education" from sekhel "intellect", "mind"), the Jewish Enlightenment, was a movement among European Jews in the 18th–19th centuries that advocated adopting enlightenment values, pressing for better integration into European society, and increasing education in secular studies, Hebrew language, and Jewish history. Haskalah in this sense marked the beginning of the wider engagement of European Jews with the secular world, ultimately resulting in the first Jewish political movements and the struggle for Jewish emancipation. The division of Ashkenazi Jewry into religious movements or denominations, especially in North America and anglophone countries, began historically as a reaction to Haskalah. Leaders of the Haskalah movement were called Maskilim (משכילים).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haskalah

Jewish emancipation

Jewish emancipation was the external and internal process of freeing the Jewish people of Europe, including recognition of their rights as equal citizens, and the formal granting of citizenship as individuals; it occurred gradually between the late 18th century and the early 20th century. Jewish emancipation followed the Age of Enlightenment and the concurrent Jewish enlightenment and grew by the abolition of discriminatory laws applied specifically against Jews in their various countries. Before the emancipation, most Jews were isolated in residential areas from the rest of the society; thus, emancipation was a major goal of European Jews of that time and internally stressed integration and broader education. This led to their active participation within wider European civil society and recognition of Jews as citizens. Jews emigrated to countries offering better opportunities, such as Britain and the Americas. Later, European Jews turned to revolutionary movements, especially when faced with oppressive regimes such as the Russian Empire, or specifically Jewish political movements such as Zionism, when faced with continuing anti-Semitism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_and_the_Jews

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_emancipation

The Age of Reason gave Jews civil rights, but its emphasis on a Godless society was bound to backfire.

http://www.aish.com/jl/h/48955286.html

Judaism and Enlightenment

Judaism and Enlightenment (Ideas in Context): Amazon.co.uk: Adam Sutcliffe: Books

The Enlightenment, Freemasonry, and The Illuminati

by Conrad Goeringer

http://www.atheists.org/The_Enlighte...The_Illuminati

What is the connection between Judaism and Freemasonry?

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/judaism/FAQ...section-8.html

http://www.bessel.org/masjud.htm

Jewish History, 1700 to 1914

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/hist...700-1914.shtml

Jewish Emancipation and Enlightenment

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/hist...htenment.shtml

Moses Mendelssohn

Herald of the Jewish Enlightenment

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/beli...delssohn.shtml

~Aristotle