View Poll Results: Members, Do you dislike science?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, Science is truth.

36 46.15%
  • Yes, science can´t explain everything. There´s more than this.

14 17.95%
  • I believe in a mix of both. Science and Belief go hand in hand.

21 26.92%
  • Other

7 8.97%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Do Some Members on Here Dislike Science/Reason?

Last Online
    Saturday, February 9th, 2019 @ 02:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Nordish Preservationist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    I like Science but it cannot explain everything

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Science will always have it's limits.

Last Online
    Monday, July 18th, 2011 @ 10:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English, Irish, German, Swiss, Austrian
    Country
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Engineer
    Politics
    Pragmatic Pluralist
    Religion
    Christian Deist, Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Science & Faith

Science goes a long way in explaining the Natural Order. Yet, there are somethings which transcend this order that Science has yet to come to grips with and may never be able to come to grips with.

As Kurt Vonnegut put it, "It's doubtful that Science will ever be able to take a Polaroid of the face of God"...

Last Online
    Monday, October 24th, 2016 @ 07:43 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Donauschwabe
    Ancestry
    german, austro-hungarian
    Subrace
    pred. Nordid
    Country
    Austrian Empire Austrian Empire
    State
    Danube Swabian Community Danube Swabian Community
    Family
    Searching for nordic girl
    Occupation
    Engineer
    Politics
    Preservationist
    Religion
    Theist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Although I work as an engineer - what is strongly science-related -, I dislike "scientific" argument of groups which consider themselves "rational" and "enlightened", and support globalisation, multiculturalism, antireligion, and such anti-Germanic things.
    Geitarborg í Árhnjárlandi | Kämpft gegen die Einwanderung! | Aufnordung

Senior Administrator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    In a steady relationship
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    I think that both people who turn to science and religion or supernatural explanations are essentially after the same thing, finding answers to their questions.

Centuries ago people attempted to understand and clarify the what was then believed to be unexplainable by attributing a supernatural or religious explanation to it. Yet centuries later scientists found a logical explanation behind it and proved their theories. So I think that just cause something doesn't appear to have a rational explanation now, it doesn't necessarily mean it's supernatural.

Science hasn't explained everything but that does not necessarily mean it can't. Scientists have always known some limitations. Knowledge has been accumulated gradually and the process is yet to have been completed. At the moment for example it's not possible to travel far enough in space and explore the possibility of other lifeforms. The existence of alien lifeforms is theoretically possible since we are the proof that a planet can harbor life. It's just a question of finding if another such planet exists.

The way I see it though, scientific truth has no universal positive or negative value, it can be quite cold and difficult to handle depending on the kind of mentality we grow up with so I therefore sometimes wonder if it really always benefits us to find it/know it.

Religion to me poses more questions than answers and my personal choice is not to follow a certain one. Nonetheless I think it has some merits. The efficacy of prayer regarding recovery from illnesses has been observed and explained by psychology. Many beliefs and superstitions have been handed down as tradition without much questioning or despite questioning, e.g Christmas becoming more cultural than religious. As a child I would still receive presents from Santa despite my parents not being religious, simply cause it was something that made kids happy.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 04:38 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian-Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    My known ancestry is Norwegian
    State
    Nordic Union Nordic Union
    Politics
    Identitarian
    Religion
    Germanic & Indo-European Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't have any problem with science, I actually often find it quite interesting.
    I'm not an atheist, though; I believe in the Gods, and don't need any material "proofs" from the scientists to do that, as I believe the experience of a god or the sacred is not belonging to the realms of what can be proved to be "true" or "false".
    And neither am I a pure materialist just because I can value the benefits of science in some areas of life.
    It somewhat surprises me how most 'scientific rationalists' I have talked to almost without exception have dismissed the possibility that some part of our being can survive the physical death of our bodies, mostly because they take it as "hard fact" that our consciousness is completely limited to brain-activity alone, so that every kind of experience would cease to exist when our brain stoppes working.
    There are absolutely no solid proofs for this assumption, so it's pure speculation - a theory, nothing else.
    In fact, if we take into consideration the great number of documented cases of phenomena such as Near-Death-Experiences (often occurring when someone, i.e., a patient in a hospital, is clinically dead) - and also a lot of cases which easily could point to reincarnation - you could say that the chances for death not being the Absolute End are significantly higher than the chances of the purely materialist standpoint (of denying this possibility) being Scientific Truth.
    And, this is, as we know, what most belief-systems throughout the ages have been saying all the time.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 06:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordic + some Atlantid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbaon View Post
    Although I work as an engineer - what is strongly science-related -, I dislike "scientific" argument of groups which consider themselves "rational" and "enlightened", and support globalisation, multiculturalism, antireligion, and such anti-Germanic things.
    Scientific argumentation is always based on a model. A model, as we all know, is not reality but a representation of reality—exaggerating certain aspects, ignoring others as is necessary for its purpose. In such an argumentation, if it is carried out properly and according to logic, everything flows from the basic assumptions of the model to their logical conclusions. You enter the state of the world and the values that you have, and out comes a recipe for the realisation of those values.

As a concept it is very, very simple. But the accuracy of the logical reasoning depends on getting the model specification right. In most models you will find one or a few pivotal assumptions upon which the whole reasoning will rest, the smallest variation in which will generate vastly different results. Thus, in most cases it is possible for me to construct a representative model of reality that will show that (surprise!) what is in your best interest just happens to be what I want you to do.

If you assume that race is only skin deep, multiculturalism is where you will end up. It is the rational outcome of that assumption.

The crux of rationality is to have a clear view of reality. If you are mistaken in your assumptions about the world there is no way to tell where you may end up in your search for the rational outcome. This is why I am such a big proponent for trial and error.

Last Online
    Sunday, January 22nd, 2017 @ 09:52 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    America
    Country
    State
    California California
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Presbyterian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I could have said yes to all three of the options. While I'm a hardline Calvinist, at the same time how could you for example interpret the Bible without reason?

Aka GermanischerAdler Herefugol's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, November 13th, 2016 @ 07:06 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Ancestry
    British Isles, Germany, Norway
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I don't see why science and reason can't be combined with spirituality.

Believing in, for example, a god or gods or some sort of divinity doesn't necessarily rule out the biological reality of evolution and natural selection. One could even take the position that life was simply a seed sown by a creator, and has the ability to grow and develop organically.

I think it is important to have some sort of deeper spiritual connection with our lives, to give meaning to our existence. If you excessively rationalise human life with biology, you are simply left with a piece of meat that has the desire to prosper through eating, drinking and reproducing. What a pointless, superficial and materialistic existence.

Having a spiritual connection to one's ancestry, kin and soil is a healthy mindset to support the preservation of our people and our soul. If we reduce our lives to being a walking, breathing piece of organic material, the world really becomes a glum, pointless place.

Every day I sit outside and soak up the sun's warmth and admire the beauty of the birds, the trees and the sky. Sure, I could rationalise everything I see and reduce it to science, but why would I want to take away from its profound beauty? I'd rather see it as a piece of art, masterfully crafted.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678