View Poll Results: Members, Do you dislike science?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, Science is truth.

36 46.15%
  • Yes, science can´t explain everything. There´s more than this.

14 17.95%
  • I believe in a mix of both. Science and Belief go hand in hand.

21 26.92%
  • Other

7 8.97%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Some Members on Here Dislike Science/Reason?

Eala Freia Fresena
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 5th, 2019 @ 03:10 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Friese
    Ancestry
    Friesland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Montana Montana
    Married
    Occupation
    selfemployed
    Politics
    rightwing
    Religion
    none/pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Science works with 'terms' but never defined what a term is, nor what its features are.

Terms can have very exact borders, are non-changable, are movable around etc like boxes. They are most pure in mathematical science.

Another way to look at terms is that they have no defined borders but a strong kernel and then feather out to its edges, they are constantly changing and not interchangeable at all. That is the opposite end which applies more to spirituell things. If you want to term 'human spirit' there is nothing you can put in the box, you won't be able to define strict borders of what is human spirit and what is not, beside it is pretty much changing all the time.

Science is only using the first type of terms which are closest to a material world (like an apple, it has defined borders and doesn't change etc).

Science then is trying to use type 1 terms for everything and that doesn't work. Because of that they say whatever doesn't fit our understanding of terms doesn't exist because it is not scientifically provable, as you can't prove a thing which changes and has no definite borders.

There is also a differnt type of rationality:

Type 1 terms can be used with prescribed logical connections like in a mathematical equation. That logic is basically a mechanical operation. (based on common science this logic alone doesn't create correct or truthful statements by itself but have to be tested by experiments)

Type 2 terms require a different rationality: you have one term, soaked with experience, sensations etc and mentally you put a second term beside it equally soaked with experiences, sensations etc. Then you observe in your mind of what kind relationsships come out of it. As the terms can change what ever comes out is most likely new, different but still rational.

For me it looks like scientists lock themselfs into a box whose borders are presumptions and only study what is inside this box and deny any reality what is outside the box.

That childish attitude is buffered with 'positive' things one subscribes to oneself which are meant to impress anybody else and silence any critic.

Allright, but I am definetely not impressed by those things trompeted out with fanfares, and drums and pompous behaviour.

So my worldview encompasses way more than just science, and that is the natural state of everybody, whether they are delusional about it or not.
    weel nich will dieken dej mot wieken

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 3rd, 2012 @ 09:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly Yorkshire
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    People like to consider themselves more profound than they are. The usual way that people of lesser cognitive ability try to place themselves on a level with rational, learned people is to pretend that they have some special insight into the true nature of the world that scientific minds 'just can't see'. Of course, their ideas are completely unsupportable and collapse under scrutiny (and most of the time without scrutiny), but this doesn't matter, since irrational people never subject their ideas to rational scrutiny -- they even reject rationality to prevent this from happening.

So then you have 'New Age' idiots talking about how meditation can cure cancer, and how copulating with trees fuses our life-force with Gaia's. It doesn't matter how obviously false these claims are, since they reject logic and the scientific method -- even incorporate a rejection of these things into the fabric of their 'philosophy'. They just want to preserve that warm feeling of 'knowing' the true nature of the universe.

What annoys me, though, isn't that they believe what they believe; it's that they demand respect and equal treatment. It's like a drunken fratboy bursting into a lecture by Stephen Hawking yelling, "Woo, spring break!!" and a bunch of other fratboys in the audience saying "Hold security, let's listen to what he has to say." I just can't abide the idea of giving equal respect to unequal ideas.

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    The great strength of science is that it can tell you how to do it, the great weakness is that it cannot tell you what you should to do.
    Life is more than science, this is what shouldn't be forgotten.
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Donauschwaben
    Subrace
    Keltic nordid/Alpinid
    State
    Danube Swabian Community Danube Swabian Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Aquarius
    Family
    Single parent
    Occupation
    Mad scientist
    Politics
    Politically incorrect
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Science is what makes this conversation possible. Try communicating on this topic with using just magic. You will find out that magic does not work

Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    The previous poll options were insufficient and suggestive. I had to adjust them and added two more options.

Well, I believe in a mix of both forms. Science is important and a blessing for humanity but science knows borders. There´re some scientists who stated, at the very end of their scientific working life, that at the end of all science comes the unexplainable and indescribable. For example, science can explain the development of the universe and the four universal powers but science can´t explain what has happened before and what lead to the "development" of the four universal powers. The Big Bang? How? From nothing to everything? Science is completely unable to explain some things or to find reasons. That´s where I think that belief can help.

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, February 12th, 2012 @ 04:38 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Irish, Norse.
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    In a relationship
    Occupation
    Checkout operator, Morrisons
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I believe that science cannot explain everything. In my experience, science can't explain everything, which is why when something can't be explained, I turn to my belief in the supernatural.

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Donauschwaben
    Subrace
    Keltic nordid/Alpinid
    State
    Danube Swabian Community Danube Swabian Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Aquarius
    Family
    Single parent
    Occupation
    Mad scientist
    Politics
    Politically incorrect
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    But it can. What cannot be explained today, will be explained tomorrow. It is people who have boundaries in how much can day accomplish during they're lifetime (and whether they missed something important that was under their nose the whole time) not science it self.

Beliefs are good for ones morale!

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 3rd, 2012 @ 09:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly Yorkshire
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrid Runa View Post
    I believe that science cannot explain everything. In my experience, science can't explain everything, which is why when something can't be explained, I turn to my belief in the supernatural.
    So you're saying when the human mind's attempts to understand something rationally fail, then the human mind's pure guesswork is much more likely to be correct?

Reality is so complex that scientific explanations are often inaccurate, and human guesswork is always inaccurate.

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 3rd, 2011 @ 12:33 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Scotland
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Married
    Occupation
    IT Security
    Politics
    Technocrat
    Religion
    Buddhist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thusnelda View Post
    Science is completely unable to explain some things or to find reasons...
    ...yet! You might not have these answers now or in your lifetime, it doesn't mean that it cannot be explained. Like I said previously, all the knowledge we have today was not acquired overnight.

Eala Freia Fresena
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 5th, 2019 @ 03:10 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Friese
    Ancestry
    Friesland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Montana Montana
    Married
    Occupation
    selfemployed
    Politics
    rightwing
    Religion
    none/pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Science is not a set of truths but it is a method to establish a (temporary) truth.

Materialistic science occupies our universities and they claim only they know what science is. But as science is a method anybody can use it and there is a whole group of people who do that already.

Healing with alternative method work and often better than 'scientific' methods. Those methods are done on certain presumptions and then tested and modified until they work.

Pretty similar to materialistic healthcare which describes medications found by people in the ancient times without what profs and whatnot call science.

People had insight into plants which 'science' is now using and then claiming they found a 'scientific' truth which has been known before for centuries. they belief it is a certain combination of molecules which are effective. It simply often shows that it is not that but something which is behind the plant.

If the academic authorities do not accept those findings (and there is ample prove of it) it does not mean it is not scientific. It might simply be monetary interests which makes people ignore those things. ('science' is a dirty business, I have been there and know how it works).

Science is only one method to find truth but by no means it is the only one. Just proof to me that this is the only way and then look backwards into history where people found many 'truths' which are older than 'science'.
    weel nich will dieken dej mot wieken

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast