Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What's the Scariest Experience You've Ever Had?

Last Online
    Saturday, April 28th, 2012 @ 07:02 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Ancestry
    Nordic
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Designer
    Politics
    urban shaman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Surfing and being spooked by a shark. I was surfing with some buddies on the mid NSW coast of Australia. I had noticed a few times larger fish behind the breakers jumping out of the water...that can sometimes mean they are being chased by something bigger but could also mean they are chasing smaller bait fish themselves. It was perfect late morning glassy conditions, not murky or in the early morning or evening. Between a set I was waiting for a wave idling in the water looking back to shore at my buddy who had just fallen off his board. I turned sideways in the water on my board (which remember is half submerged and my legs dangling down off it) and looked back to see the next sets coming in and literally right in front of me swam a large shark, its dorsel fin tip just barely poking out of the water. It wasn't massive but still about 3m - enough to do some serious damage. It just kept swimming by me as if I wasn't even there or like it was in an aquarium but it was still a gut wrenching/curdling experience. I couldnt do anything, I just watched it cruise past frozen - a dark brown/grey fat shadow - and then caught the next wave back into shore yelling out to my mates there's a shark my body full of sickening adrenaline. I suspect it was a bronze whaler shark. Growing up in Australia you know about sharks - especially great whites - but I've never seen one in the water other than small sharks darting around a wharf. There's probably lots of times they are right in the vacinity with you but you'd never know.

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 11:15 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German, Danish, English
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Diver
    Politics
    Libertarian/Anarchicst
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I had a military parachuting accident, that left my right leg broken in 5 places. Had some dreams about that one for awhile. I guess it could have been worse.

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 11:52 PM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Being shot at and returning fire.

Flying through a storm in a Robinson 44 helicopter

Nearly running over a pedestrian with my car

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 08:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Wellenkamp View Post
    I had a military parachuting accident, that left my right leg broken in 5 places. Had some dreams about that one for awhile. I guess it could have been worse.
    I've done few parachute jumps myself. Parachuting accidents tend to fall into one of two categories; the relatively minor and the very serious.
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, April 27th, 2012 @ 05:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Lowlands
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I too like to take a lot of risks, which naturally entails rather a lot of scares. Just a few hours ago I decided to have a biscuit with my evening tea. Now, I could have played it safe and chosen an easy-to-dunk nice biscuit or a custard cream. But no: I went for the McVities digestive -- a biscuit which, as all soggied biscuit connoisseurs know, demands to be dunked with care lest it disintegrate under its own tea-logged weight. There was a point at which I was sure that the worst was about to happen. See, the digestive had been dipped in too far; one half started to waver in the air, hinting dangerously at an imminent carpetward trajectory. By a stroke of pure luck though I just managed to catch it with a dull 'slop' in a saucer that was nearby. Phew!

But I was really scared for a moment.

Last Online
    Sunday, July 29th, 2012 @ 04:47 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Saxon & Celtic
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Family
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Watching my younger brother nearly drown when I was 13 and being unable to do anything about it.

Single scariest moment of my life by far.

Last Online
    Sunday, July 29th, 2012 @ 04:47 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Saxon & Celtic
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Family
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudAS View Post
    Watching my younger brother nearly drown when I was 13 and being unable to do anything about it.

Single scariest moment of my life by far.
    For those of you who want to know a little more about this story, here's what happened:

It happened 3 or 4 years ago when I was 13, my family was on holiday in Antigua, we were at the beach and my and my brother (9 at the time) were in a mini kayak/rowing boat sailing around. We started getting confident with it and we were both messing around, I'm not sure how but it capsized (not too far from the beach), my instinct was to get to the shore ASAP so I swam as hard as I could (I wasn't a strong swimmer) and got there, then my stomach sank when I realised my brother was still out there (he could hardly swim) and I saw him and he looked really far back and he was screaming and he was barely staying above the water...

Thankfully, then, I saw a guy and his son in another kayak who must have seen wha happened going over to help him, they brought him back to the shore and we were both totally traumatised.

I am certain that if that guy wouldn't have helped him, he would have drowned.

Last Online
    Monday, January 2nd, 2012 @ 12:51 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Ibero-Germanic
    Country
    Other Other
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have a close relationship with blood loss.

One event was when I got in a car crash. With the impact, and the action of inertia against the seat belt, I had a rupture of a big arteria in my lower belly. I lost like 2 litres of blood in an internal hemorrage.

The scary part was slipping slowly into circulatory shock. My consciente would fade, and then come back. I felt cold (hypothermia begun at some point). I knew I would die, and I didnt, but I was very close.

I woke up the other day high on morphine, and GLAD to be alive.

It wasnt the only episode though.

I also had a procedure in my heart. They would introduce a catheter in the femoral, and kill an extra nerve in my heart that was causing it to speed ocasionally. Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome, its called.

In one of the three procedures, I was in recovery room, when I happened to sneeze.

What I didnt know is that I wasnt suposed to do that. Soon I fet a searing pain in my leg, and raised the hospital blanked to see: blood was coming out like it was a little garden fountain.

I looked at the monitor, and my beat rate and pressure were falling quick.

I managed to shout the name of one nurse (always learn theyr names, always)... and blacked out. Probably for being too scared, as I didnt lose a relevant amount of blood.

A couple minutes later I wake up with 5 pairs of hands covering the little hole in my leg. 1 nurse and four resident doctors.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 02:02 AM
    Ethnicity
    English/German combo
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Sagittarius
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Edie View Post
    I too like to take a lot of risks, which naturally entails rather a lot of scares. Just a few hours ago I decided to have a biscuit with my evening tea. Now, I could have played it safe and chosen an easy-to-dunk nice biscuit or a custard cream. But no: I went for the McVities digestive -- a biscuit which, as all soggied biscuit connoisseurs know, demands to be dunked with care lest it disintegrate under its own tea-logged weight. There was a point at which I was sure that the worst was about to happen. See, the digestive had been dipped in too far; one half started to waver in the air, hinting dangerously at an imminent carpetward trajectory. By a stroke of pure luck though I just managed to catch it with a dull 'slop' in a saucer that was nearby. Phew!

But I was really scared for a moment.
    Now that's truly frightening. I was dropping bricks reading the above description of a near catastrophe. The soggy digestive falling carpetwards!!! Almost too frightening to contemplate! By God that was lucky there was a saucer nearby.

But it was instructive. I now know to go with the custard cream in any future situation.

Thanks, Edie

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 8th, 2012 @ 02:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Afrikaner
    Ancestry
    Western Germany, Holland and Britain
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    South Africa South Africa
    State
    Transvaal Transvaal
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Consultant
    Politics
    Afrikaner nationalist
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In 2005 my wife and our two older girls then about 5 months and 20 months old returned home from a rugby match.

When we drove into our yard two black thugs followed us in with guns and we were robbed.

They wanted the car but I just stayed very calm and told them they could not take the car until I took my kids out. One became pretty angry and stuck his firearm down my throat chipping one of my teeth ...

The other however then took my wife inside and made her open the jewelry box. I have a motion sensor light in the front yard and kept moving to make it go on... this made my neighbour look through his window... and he then saw what was going on and shouted at the criminals...

This spooked them and they hared off down the street...

The worst was having to stand still while this animal held a gun to my head while my awake two year old kept calling me "Pappa! Pappa!"

I swore she would never have to go through that again.

She was scared confused alone and in the dark... luckily my other girlie slept though the whole thing.

I took a a number of steps to avoid similar things from happening, including Krav Maga (I am now an instructor's assistant), firearm training, and a number of security measures.

Two years ago some black decided to try and rob me at an isolated ATM while I was drawing money and ended up running down the road squealing with his own knife protruding from his buttocks...

The scariest thing was the thought these things would take my car with my babies inside...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast