Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Question How Germanic is France?

Did France surrender it's Germanicism with the rise of Napoleon or was it the defeat of the Vichy government? You'll probably say during Mediaeval times, so let's here it...

Last Online
    Sunday, February 15th, 2009 @ 07:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    75%German-25%Polish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Varied
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shame that no one responded

I would like someone to explain to me just how Germanic or un-Germanic France is.

Last Online
    Wednesday, May 18th, 2016 @ 02:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Country
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Politics
    Old Stock Nativism
    Religion
    Heathen Theosophy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    I would like someone to explain to me just how Germanic or un-Germanic France is.
    Here's my opinion, based on my family's history. I am Acadian, which means I'm a descendant of the French settlers that settled in the Canadian province of Acadia in the 16th century. Pretty much all of my ancestors since the colonization were French. My family has always been very interested in genealogy, so I had a lot of material to start with when I began doing serious investigations. Most Acadian ancestry stems from Normandie or Alsace-Lorraine. Quite a few of my Norman lines go back far enough for me to see the transition from French names back to Germanic names. The same is true for the Frankish ancestors in Alsace. Outside of these two areas, there is (in my experience) quite a bit of Germanic ancestry in the French Alps. My fathers family comes from the Alps and traces directly back to the Burgundian nobles that preceded the Hundred Years War. Outside of these three areas, however, I don't have any personal genealogical knowledge. I would imagine that Southern France, particularly Aquitaine, has more Roman influence, as would the provinces in the Pyrenees. Central France, eapecially Paris, is probably a cross section of all of these. Sorry for the rambling, but I just wanted to make clear that these are my personal observations from my own genealogy, not stuff I pulled out of a hat.
    "Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time."
    -H.P. Lovecraft

Last Online
    Sunday, February 15th, 2009 @ 07:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    75%German-25%Polish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Varied
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not rambling at all

Thanks for the info. Sometimes personal genealogy can explain things better than longwinded texts. I appreciate it.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Utrecht Utrecht
    Family
    Single adult
    Religion
    Germanic Heathendom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    You got a Flemisch part in Northern France, Frans Vlaanderen. However my knowledge of the history of that region is very minimal.

[IMG][/IMG]

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ullr View Post
    Did France surrender it's Germanicism with the rise of Napoleon or was it the defeat of the Vichy government?
    With the French revolution. Which eventually replaced Germanic-Nordic aristocracy with Romanic-Alpinid plebeian rule.
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Last Online
    16 Hours Ago @ 02:49 AM
    Ethnicity
    Deutsch
    Ancestry
    Alemanni-Suebi/Irish
    Subrace
    Dalophælid-Nordid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Hessen-Darmstadt Hessen-Darmstadt
    Hagestolz
    Politics
    Advocatus Diaboli
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ullr View Post
    Did France surrender it's Germanicism with the rise of Napoleon or was it the defeat of the Vichy government? You'll probably say during Mediaeval times, so let's here it...
    There never was a French Germanicism - there was a Frankish aristocracy rulng for a while, and some Germanic settlements, but France overall is what it has been - a Gallo-Romanic nation.
    When men cease to fight — they cease to be — Men.
    “Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.” Brendan Behan

Last Online
    Saturday, August 4th, 2018 @ 03:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid/Atlantid
    Country
    Dominion of Canada Dominion of Canada
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Traditionalist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptrgangr View Post
    There never was a French Germanicism - there was a Frankish aristocracy rulng for a while, and some Germanic settlements, but France overall is what it has been - a Gallo-Romanic nation.
    You're underestimating the presence of Germanic genes amongst the French. The main progenitors of the ethnic group today are the Franks and Gauls, Germanics and Celts respectively. One must then factor in Norse influence from inter-marriage in Normandy and the surrounding area, German input from Alsace-Lorraine, and Brythonic presence in Brittany. Of course it is true that Romance blood is present in French, but it is mostly isolated in the south of the nation. Even in this case, a good portion of that likely stems from Spanish and Italian migration long after the other aforementioned peoples came together to form what, today, is recognized as the French ethnicity. The fact that Latin culture prevailed in the nation over its Germanic and Celtic rivals tends to corrupt opinion of the country on an ethnic level. The French are thus, in my opinion, a Celtogermanic people, admittedly with various levels of Romance influence, the latter depending largely on region.

Last Online
    16 Hours Ago @ 02:49 AM
    Ethnicity
    Deutsch
    Ancestry
    Alemanni-Suebi/Irish
    Subrace
    Dalophælid-Nordid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Hessen-Darmstadt Hessen-Darmstadt
    Hagestolz
    Politics
    Advocatus Diaboli
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loyalist View Post
    You're underestimating the presence of Germanic genes amongst the French. The main progenitors of the ethnic group today are the Franks and Gauls, Germanics and Celts respectively. One must then factor in Norse influence from inter-marriage in Normandy and the surrounding area, German input from Alsace-Lorraine, and Brythonic presence in Brittany. Of course it is true that Romance blood is present in French, but it is mostly isolated in the south of the nation. Even in this case, a good portion of that likely stems from Spanish and Italian migration long after the other aforementioned peoples came together to form what, today, is recognized as the French ethnicity. The fact that Latin culture prevailed in the nation over its Germanic and Celtic rivals tends to corrupt opinion of the country on an ethnic level. The French are thus, in my opinion, a Celtogermanic people, admittedly with various levels of Romance influence, the latter depending largely on region.

No, France is a Gallo-Romanic nation. The conquest of Germanic Alsace and Moselle-Lorraine happened to a late date, so they can't be counted as native French like the people of core-France, Germanics like the Normans and Franks were Romanized long ago.
    France has her name from the Frankish empire, that's why many think it was once a Germanic empire.
    I am a link to Wiki
    When men cease to fight — they cease to be — Men.
    “Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.” Brendan Behan

Last Online
    Saturday, August 4th, 2018 @ 03:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid/Atlantid
    Country
    Dominion of Canada Dominion of Canada
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Traditionalist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptrgangr View Post
    No, France is a Gallo-Romanic nation.
    According to you, wheras I make no concrete (and in your case, false) assertions that my opinion is entirely correct and without error.

The conquest of Germanic Alsace and Moselle-Lorraine happened to a late date, so they can't be counted as native French like the people of core-France,
    On the same note, many Italians and Spaniards are not such, as they descend from Moors and Semitic converts. The Portuguese are not Portuguese, as, aside from Moorish influence, there was a large injection of Negro blood from inter-mixture with slaves. The English simply don't exist, since they're an amalgamation of at least half a dozen major ethnic groups who arrived on the island in the last two thousand years, and don't even get me started on those Hungarians, being the descendants of a people who migrated from the Asian Far East which, by your connection of chronology to ethnicity, occured in relatively contemporary times (a few centuries isn't equal to a millenia when it comes to ethnic matters, after all).

Of course, this is all based off of Aptrgangr's personal view on time and the effect it has on matters of blood, integration, etc.

What a joke.

Germanics like the Normans and Franks were Romanized long ago.
    Romanized by culture? Yes. Romanized by blood? No. The latter is far more important in determining the identity of a people; a Negro could be Romanized in a cultural sense.

France has her name from the Frankish empire, that's why many think it was once a Germanic empire.
    I am a link to Wiki
    France at the time wasn't Germanic simply by name, and saying their effect on the genepool of the people was either miniscule or entirely non-existent is supremely ignorant.

Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast