Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Feel About Psychedelic Drug Use?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 05:13 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Canadian
    Ancestry
    Friesland, Norway, Denmark
    Subrace
    Trønder
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Carpenter/ Craftsman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    After witnessing myriads of negative short-term and long-term effects on drug users, I would say that I have no desire to ever use drugs.

I have plenty of 'spiritual' experiences in life without them and I don't need drugs to inspire or fuel the imagination. To me...simple things like hearing the wind through pines, watching the Aurora Borealis on a frigid winter night, or having a campfire in the forest are far better 'highs' then any drug.

Keep your shrooms. I enjoy life in the nature.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 05:28 PM
    Ethnicity
    Frisian
    Ancestry
    Frisian, Saxon
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Frisia Frisia
    Politics
    Frisian nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post
    I have plenty of 'spiritual' experiences in life without them and I don't need drugs to inspire or fuel the imagination. To me...simple things like hearing the wind through pines, watching the Aurora Borealis on a frigid winter night, or having a campfire in the forest are far better 'highs' then any drug.
    And you know this because you actually tried any such drugs?

Keep your shrooms. I enjoy life in the nature.
    Shrooms are a nature kind of drug. The one doesn't rule out the other.

I've had plenty of amazing 'spiritual' experiences in nature (best ones in Norway) without drugs as well. They still pale in comparison to the experience of being in nature under the influence of shrooms. By the way, i should add that lastnamed was only in a (beautiful nonetheless) backyard of a friend of mine.

I don't have anything against it if people just never want to try any kind of drug, that is a choice. But why make such statements about things that you don't know about?
    Bûter, brea en griene tsiis
    Wa't dat net sizze kin is gjin oprjochte Fries!

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Canadian
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Trønder
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Carpenter/ Craftsman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sybren View Post
    And you know this because you actually tried any such drugs?

Shrooms are a nature kind of drug. The one doesn't rule out the other.

I've had plenty of amazing 'spiritual' experiences in nature (best ones in Norway) without drugs as well. They still pale in comparison to the experience of being in nature under the influence of shrooms.

I don't have anything against it if people just never want to try any kind of drug, that is a choice. But why make such statements about things that you don't know about?
    I haven't tried drugs, and I never will. I am sure Psilocybin mushrooms bring about insane hallucinations and are unlike anything else you can experience.

This matters little to me. I do not care for this sort of experience. My choice is right for me, and I am content with it.

I have no problem with people using shrooms and psychedelic drugs, but I do not pity those who abuse drugs and destroy themselves.

Remember Sybren, this thread was supposed to ask us about our opinions on this type of drug use. I made a clear response saying that for ME, I do not find psychedelic drug use necessary for MY life. I don't know what shrooms do to the mind...but I have no desire to find out.

Other people can do what they want.

Perhaps you could explain the benefits of using these drugs. What (if anything) is gained?

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 05:28 PM
    Ethnicity
    Frisian
    Ancestry
    Frisian, Saxon
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Frisia Frisia
    Politics
    Frisian nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post
    This matters little to me. I do not care for this sort of experience. My choice is right for me, and I am content with it.
    Fair enough

By the way, i'm not trying to defend drugs in general. And i'm not even promoting shrooms, since this indeed is a very personal choice and where the one has a pleasant or even enlightening trip, the other has a bad/terrifying one.
    Bûter, brea en griene tsiis
    Wa't dat net sizze kin is gjin oprjochte Fries!

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 01:59 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    liberal in spirit not politics
    Religion
    Questioning
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I am not intrinsically opposed but I think that the main problem with drugs and our society is that the use of drugs is not ritualised enough. Were it ritualised it would be controlled, but because it is not people can send themselves far too far down the rabbit hole and they themselves not being the best judge of when they are too far are unable to make the choice to stop before they get there.
    Denn das Schöne ist nichts
 als des Schrecklichen Anfang, den wir noch grade ertragen,
 und wir bewundern es so, weil es gelassen verschmäht, uns zu zerstören.

Love Conquers All
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think that Sybren brings up a really great point about psychedelics not needing to be lumped in with things like heroin or cocaine. When people think about drugs, they think about things that are 1.) harmful and 2.) addictive. Psychedelic substances are neither. When substances are being tested, there is something called an "LD50" or a median lethal dose. What that refers to is the dosage at which half of the test subjects are killed. The higher the LD50, the potentially "less dangerous" a substance. The LD50s for the majority of psychedelics are very high, much higher than alcohol especially LSD and psilocybin ( the compound inside "magic mushrooms").

There are many false urban legends about psychedelics, most of which got their start in the 60's when chemists were just beginning to realize the valuable medical opportunities that psychedelics can potentially offer. The thing is, though, that these substances have been around since pre-history and people have only recently begun to feel like they are something bad or disgusting. I've heard the monotony of arguments against them about a million times and not one stands up to any actual logic. There is just too much "baggage" attached to psychedelics for some people and they can't get over that.

It's hard for me to say what I personally believe. Reality is too abstract and too esoteric of a term. I don't believe someone can simply say "this is real" or "this is not real" when it comes to some experiences. If someone is intelligent and well grounded then I believe it can be a very positive thing, especially if taken with the best of intentions.
    Im Holderstrauch, im Holderstrauch.
    Der blühte schön im Mai,
    Da sang ein kleines Vögelein
    Ein Lied von Lieb und Treu...

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Canadian
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Trønder
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Carpenter/ Craftsman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I stated my opinion on this topic. I have a question for people who do support psychedelic drug use and have used such substances:

"What is gained?"

Its a very simple question

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago @ 08:58 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ancestry
    British Isles, Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Judaist
    Religion
    Logos
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I think it's wrong to compare alcohol to drugs in certain respects.

Sure marijuana is not always as harmful as alcohol, but alcohol is a cultural thing. For millennia it has been a part of our people's culture, and I'm not talking about using it for intoxication. Used to purify water, the Spartans were the healthiest of the Hellenes because they diluted their water with wine, their women were also famed for their beauty. Wine in moderation has many health benefits, and I appreciate the vineyards that have been making wine for hundreds, and sometimes a thousand or more years.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 06:45 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Austria
    Subrace
    Nordic-Alpine mix I believe
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Student
    Politics
    Radical Traditionalist
    Religion
    Transcendental Naturalism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sybren View Post

People who say 'i don't need psychedelic drugs because i have a vivid imagination'. Ok, i respect your decision, but you haven't got a clue. As The Horned God pointed out, with for example hallucinative drugs like magic mushrooms, certain restraints in your brain shut off. If your own imagination would be the same, you couldn't function as a human being. I've always had a big imagination myself, but dear god i would be scared to daydream ever again if my imagination was thát good.
    It's not just for creative purposes, they can also have theraputic value: we have found that Psilocybin mushrooms are effective in treating depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, as has MDMA (note; MDMA is not the same as Ecstasy. MDMA is made by a trained chemist, Ecstasy is made by joe blow in his garage, and contains MDMA combined with God knows what else), and LSD has been proven as a treatment against cluster headaches, which is a horribly, horribly debilitating disease that has driven many of its sufferers to suicide.
    In the case of disorders like PTSD, people with it have immense, immense trouble opening up about their experiences to others, and themselves, and identifying their emotions and what is causing them pain; psychedelics can very easily lift these veils. Of course, given this is a controlled circumstance; an uncontrolled circumstance will, as some have said, have undesirable consequences.

Sure marijuana is not always as harmful as alcohol, but alcohol is a cultural thing. For millennia it has been a part of our people's culture, and I'm not talking about using it for intoxication
    From Wikipedia:
    In ancient Germanic paganism, cannabis was associated with the Norse love goddess, Freya.[29][30] The harvesting of the plant was connected with an erotic high festival.[29] It was believed that Freya lived as a fertile force in the plant's feminine flowers and by ingesting them one became influenced by this divine force.[31] Linguistics offers further evidence of prehistoric use of cannabis by Germanic peoples: The word hemp derives from Old English hænep, from Proto-Germanic *hanapiz, from the same Scythian word that cannabis derives from.[32] The etymology of this word follows Grimm's Law by which Proto-Indo-European initial *k- becomes *h- in Germanic. The shift of *k→h indicates it was a loanword into the Germanic parent language at a time depth no later than the separation of Common Germanic from Proto-Indo-European, about 500 BC.
    There is clear evidence that our ancestors had, indeed, smoked cannabis, if that's what you meant by "It's not part of our culture!"
    Let truth and falsehood grapple...truth is strong-
    John Milton

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago @ 08:58 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ancestry
    British Isles, Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Judaist
    Religion
    Logos
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOvGermania View Post
    From Wikipedia:
    Any examples of the Catholic clergy smoking dope for me?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast