NS
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Moral Dilemma With Father's Estate

Just a week after returning from holiday I received the dreaded call that my father passed away as result of a massive heart attack. The funeral went by without incident but now the estate have to be divided. The dilemma is that my parents recently went through a messy divorce and my mother took what she could (plus more) from my father. The court also granted her maintenance(Alimony) for the rest of her life. There is a large life insurance policy to be paid out to her as well which will last for the rest of her life is managed wisely.

My fathers will stated that everything must be divided under us children. All that my father had left after the divorce were a little furniture, some sheep, a few cattle and a share in a farm. We divided the furniture and small things with sentimental value under us siblings and the rest have to go into the estate. Now my mother is claiming against the estate for the Alimony as well as fees for the divorce, and to top things of the lawyer handling the estate is my uncle (her brother). There will be nothing left for any of us if her claim is granted. So we spoke to her and she promised several times not to claim anything against our part of the estate. Now we received letters from the lawyer stating that such a claim has been made. I confronted her and now she claims that I am greedy and that I am only in it for the money not thinking about her future. Was I wrong in reacting this way? Is there another way that I should handle this as the last thing I want is more stress and fighting in the family!

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, July 25th, 2011 @ 06:36 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Franco-American
    Ancestry
    Frankish, Langobard, Scots, Norman, Goth, Bretagne, Bavarian, English.
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Happily married
    Politics
    Meritocracy
    Religion
    Unusual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    What a dear person you are to be worrying about this, right now. Condolences.

No, you are not wrong. Each adult human stands on their own - and when they decide to mate and have children, the children come first. Always. That's the commitment everyone makes when they have children.

I feel very badly for you and hope your mother drops her claim. Make it better for her to drop it than to sustain it.