Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    607 Posts
    I....
    1. lift fork
    2. shove fork in mouth
    3. remove fork
    4. repeat process until satisfied
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpearBrave For This Useful Post:

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, January 6th, 2019 @ 05:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    Aryo-Germanic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 3/8 English, 1/8 Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    V10b
    Country
    England England
    State
    Northumberland Northumberland
    Scorpio
    Family
    Parent,Co-habiting
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    Exposing idiocy
    Religion
    Wodenist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    254 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stimme View Post
    props for the dead lift weight - I tried that once with much less weight and had such severe pain in my back that I'm too afraid of doing it again.

That's my workout:

as many good pull-ups as possible (last time its been 12)

those abs exercises

as many good pull-ups as possible

half an hour jogging

3*6-8 Squats

3*6-8 Military Presses (or overhead presses, as you call them)

those abs exercises

3*10-12 Bicepscurls

those abs exercises

and, at last, an exercise I don't know the name of. I hold my body weight on my underarms and toes for at least a minute.
    All that exercise is not good for you. Why put yourself through the agony? You will regret it when you are older, racked with arthritis and needing a false hip!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wuotans Krieger For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago @ 08:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    556 Posts
    I usually cut my workout routine up into 'biceps&chest' and 'shoulders&triceps', and alternate between the two different focus groups, divided between 4 or 5 workout days a week. I don't like giving my different muscles too much rest time throughout the week, so I avoid having strictly a chest-day, or strictly a shoulder-day. And I also try to avoid engaging secondary and primary muscle groups on the same day. Like, for instance on a day I'm training the chest, I don't want to train triceps and shoulders as well, as it would impede my bench press capacity (due to triceps and shoulders being secondary muscle groups for that exercise). I don't know if that makes sense, but it seems logical to me.

Other muscle groups, like legs, back and stomach are trained in between the sets of either 'biceps&chest' or 'shoulders&triceps'. I also do a kind of superset between to two different muscles groups I'm focusing on on a given day, with around one minute rest in between.

So a typical 'biceps&chest' work-out normally looks like this:

- 3-4 minutes warm-up on treadmill or rowing machine
    - 3-4 sets of alternating biceps curls and bench presses (with approx. 1 minute rest in between sets)
    - 3 sets of weighted sit-ups (1 minute rest in between sets)
    - 3-4 sets of alternating standing rows and flys (1 min. rest in between sets)
    - 3 sets of back or front squats (1 min. rest in between sets)
    - 3-4 sets of alternating preacher curls and incline bench press (1 min. rest in between sets)

That usually takes a little over 60 minutes, and if I have anything more in me after that, I finish with a couple of sets of cable flys and incline biceps curls.

I don't see a lot of other people working out the way I do, as in doing these types of superset, or trying to focusing on muscles groups not connected to each other on the same day, but I feel it is more time efficient and gives me more potential to lift heavier on each workout day.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice to change up my routine, please share your thoughts.
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago @ 09:04 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Swiss
    Ancestry
    Switzerland
    Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Žoreišar View Post
    I usually cut my workout routine up into 'biceps&chest' and 'shoulders&triceps', and alternate between the two different focus groups, divided between 4 or 5 workout days a week. I don't like giving my different muscles too much rest time throughout the week, so I avoid having strictly a chest-day, or strictly a shoulder-day. And I also try to avoid engaging secondary and primary muscle groups on the same day. Like, for instance on a day I'm training the chest, I don't want to train triceps and shoulders as well, as it would impede my bench press capacity (due to triceps and shoulders being secondary muscle groups for that exercise). I don't know if that makes sense, but it seems logical to me.

Other muscle groups, like legs, back and stomach are trained in between the sets of either 'biceps&chest' or 'shoulders&triceps'. I also do a kind of superset between to two different muscles groups I'm focusing on on a given day, with around one minute rest in between.

So a typical 'biceps&chest' work-out normally looks like this:

- 3-4 minutes warm-up on treadmill or rowing machine
    - 3-4 sets of alternating biceps curls and bench presses (with approx. 1 minute rest in between sets)
    - 3 sets of weighted sit-ups (1 minute rest in between sets)
    - 3-4 sets of alternating standing rows and flys (1 min. rest in between sets)
    - 3 sets of back or front squats (1 min. rest in between sets)
    - 3-4 sets of alternating preacher curls and incline bench press (1 min. rest in between sets)

That usually takes a little over 60 minutes, and if I have anything more in me after that, I finish with a couple of sets of cable flys and incline biceps curls.

I don't see a lot of other people working out the way I do, as in doing these types of superset, or trying to focusing on muscles groups not connected to each other on the same day, but I feel it is more time efficient and gives me more potential to lift heavier on each workout day.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice to change up my routine, please share your thoughts.

Of course, everyone has different goals or motivations and if it works for you, keep on doing that way but from an "optimal training", athletic and functional standpoint, it's better to train muscles that work together the same day IMHO. Otherwise, either you need to work non-functionally in isolation overlooking certain muscles, either you are at risk of overtraining as you let little rest between training sessions (for example the chest cannot recover enough because you train the triceps the next day and both groups work anatomically together depending on your exercises). It can lessen your performance too. So it's usually better to train with high intensity all the muscles of a given functional group one day and then rest the entire group the next day so that the muscles can recover and grow... Then, you can "reactivate" the same group every 48 or 72 hours.

Anyway, I'm not an expert although I'm interested in fitness and nutrition for over 15 years now. You're easily overwhelmed by information these days with people preaching one thing and others preaching the opposite, all with good physique. Personally, I train regularly and more and more "functionally" over the years. I almost let down isolation exercises and focus on basic functional exercises like chin ups, pull ups, push ups, abs at various angles and various dumbbell and barbell exercises. For lower body, well…. it’s hard you know… but I feel squats and biking is all I need. I regret not to have started before, but I find chin ups and pull ups terrific to develop the upper body. Clearly to include in an upper body training at some point.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ringenwald For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Father: Swedish, Mother Finnish Swede
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid - Nordid - Baltid mix
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Finland Swede Community Finland Swede Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,311 Posts
    Karate training on Saturday eve 7pm. 1h:15min (= standard). Plus I kept my mouth shut. LOL.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago @ 08:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    556 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringenwald View Post
    Of course, everyone has different goals or motivations and if it works for you, keep on doing that way but from an "optimal training", athletic and functional standpoint, it's better to train muscles that work together the same day IMHO. Otherwise, either you need to work non-functionally in isolation overlooking certain muscles, either you are at risk of overtraining as you let little rest between training sessions (for example the chest cannot recover enough because you train the triceps the next day and both groups work anatomically together depending on your exercises). It can lessen your performance too. So it's usually better to train with high intensity all the muscles of a given functional group one day and then rest the entire group the next day so that the muscles can recover and grow... Then, you can "reactivate" the same group every 48 or 72 hours.
    Thanks for the feedback.

I have adopted a regular 'Push-Pull-Legs'-routine the last two months of so (Push: 2 times per week - Pull: 2 times per week - Legs: 1 time per week) , but I can't say I've noticed much improvement compared to my past routine. But then again, I'm not very good at keeping a score of one-rep-max's and other benchmarks. I only keep a note of my 1RM at the benchpress, and that has been on a stand-still the last four months. Chest has always been a weak spot for me, though.

Anyways, I'll stick with the Push-Pull-Legs for another three months and see where it takes me. I've also been experimenting with doing a short workout early in the day, before my main workout in the evening. Basically just doing one set of push-ups (as many as I can in one set), then three sets of biceps-curls, followed by three sets of deadlifts. I do this every workout day (5 times a week), but don't go all-out on it. It's just to keep my muscles activated. I haven't done it long enough to notice any real strength gains, but at least there's an improvement visually.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringenwald View Post
    For lower body, well…. it’s hard you know… but I feel squats and biking is all I need.
    I used to hate leg-days more than wet and windy winter mornings, but I've grown to enjoy it in some weird, masochistic way. And although I enjoy a good bike ride, I try to keep long-distance endurance training to a minimum. Supposedly, it can be detrimental to muscle gains. At least upper-body muscles. Just take a look at competing marathon runners compared to competing sprinters, and I'll rest my case.

If I do any kind of cardio, high-intensity interval training is what's what.
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Žoreišar For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 04:16 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Alsatian/Suevi
    Ancestry
    germanic/alsatian/Elsaesser
    Subrace
    Child of Creator God
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Oregon Oregon
    Married
    Occupation
    retired - Aerospace Quality Engi
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    Born again Christian,
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    My daily workout is WORK.
    I'm gardening for about 2 hours a day. Currently I'm building a deck that involves running a tractor, digging, shoveling, splitting rocks, hammering, nailing, sawing, and whatever needs to done. I start at around 8 am and stop at sundown.
    In between all this, I snack a lot, eat raw veggies like carrots and peppers and some home made cake, 10 cups of coffee a day.
    I guess all that keeps me going at 83..............

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to schwab For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    8 Minutes Ago @ 12:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpearBrave View Post
    I....
    1. lift fork
    2. shove fork in mouth
    3. remove fork
    4. repeat process until satisfied
    SB, I thought you'd recently got married ... you shouldn't be having to do this yourself!

Last Online
    12 Minutes Ago @ 12:31 AM
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Married
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Does dancing count as workout?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fylgje For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    8 Minutes Ago @ 12:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,361 Posts
    I once posted my son's workout routine on another forum and nobody could believe his figures for bench presses etc..

My two visits with him to PureGym in Bournemouth have both ended in humiliation because he's in a different league but I don't go to these places much as a rule. Most of the folks I see in them are bandaged up and you can't be 'fit' when you're constantly carrying all those minor injuries (..see Wuotans Krieger's post above for further details).

So my 'workouts' these days entail fitness rather than strength. This afternoon I ran 3 times around the perimeter of our local cricket pitch, which I reckon to be about a mile and I like to do this a couple of times a week if possible.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast