Freedom
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WWII German Pegasus Project

Is anyone here familiar with the WWII German 'Pegasus project"?

I read a book on it 25 years ago, it described using destructive evaporation of wood and other organic material to release methane and methanol gas to power a vehicle. I am aware that this was used extensively in Germany in world warII, I am building a setup, of my own design but there is a lot that I have no idea how to calculate.

I know that there are a lot of people on here that reside in Germany and may have more knowleage on this subject than I.

Some questions I have in particular are...

It seems to me that if I build a big carbonisation tank and heat it, I have very little control on the rate of gas production, this could lead to excessive production and excessive pressures... How does one calculate or deal with this issue?

All wood and plant materials have a high level of water content, to much water vapor suspended within the gas charge will greatly reduce burn temps and likely octane rating.... Can one reduce the amount of water vapor by cooling the gas in a radiator down to 150 degrees or so and tap off some of the excess water? The methane and methanol will retain gaseous form above 70 degrees or so allowing in theory the removal of at least some of the water vapor by condensing it.

Were these vehicles run soley off of wood gas or were they dual type systems, wood gas over another base fuel?

Any information on this subject would be GREATLY appreciated, for what ever reason I cannot find anyhting pertaining to the existence of such a thing. I have found a few sites but for whatever reason as soon as the site opens my computer gives me an error message telling me that it cannot open the site. It is funny , if I hadn't read that book 25 years ago it would seem as if this never existed, maybe that is the idea, they don't want anyone to know that it did.

Well thanks to anyone taking the time to read this and hope to hear from someone...

Last Online
    Monday, August 6th, 2012 @ 08:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    German/Irish
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Computer CAD/ Civil
    Politics
    Libertarian/Conservative
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Sorry I dont have any information on what the Germans did in WW2 but I can direct you to Lindsay's Technical Books.com

Here is a book at Lindsay's Site that might help.
    Convert Wood into Charcoal & Electricity

My personal Idea would be that Aalge might be a better alturnative than wood gas for alturnative fule. It could also serve as a food supply in a pinch. But that is just my opinion.

Thanks!

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, March 29th, 2011 @ 04:43 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norman/French
    Ancestry
    Normandy France
    Country
    State
    Idaho Idaho
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Rancher/Logger/Electronics tech
    Politics
    Freedom
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EQ Fighter View Post
    Sorry I dont have any information on what the Germans did in WW2 but I can direct you to Lindsay's Technical Books.com

Here is a book at Lindsay's Site that might help.
    Convert Wood into Charcoal & Electricity

My personal Idea would be that Aalge might be a better alturnative than wood gas for alturnative fule. It could also serve as a food supply in a pinch. But that is just my opinion.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info, I had not thought much about the syngas generator units, they are also destructive evaporation systems and they may have some answers.

I wanted to use waste grass, weeds and branches for a fuel, my partner in a woodmill also owns a tree trimming service and a horse logging company, he generates more than 100 tons of branches each year and has to pay the landfill to dump them, I have him dump a lot here and let my goats eat it, but still a lot goes to waste. The local landscape companies also have to pay to dump their grass clippings and that would be a source of 10 tons or so per day, another great waste of resources. This is also logging country where they burn all the branches and tree tops after logging causing many fires each year, I think all that material really should be used to produce fuel, the logging in this area alone produces hundreds of tons of waste every day.... and burning of the slash piles produces at least 5 forest fires each year in this area.

Last Online
    Monday, August 6th, 2012 @ 08:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    German/Irish
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Computer CAD/ Civil
    Politics
    Libertarian/Conservative
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGuardian View Post
    Thanks for the info, I had not thought much about the syngas generator units, they are also destructive evaporation systems and they may have some answers.

I wanted to use waste grass, weeds and branches for a fuel, my partner in a woodmill also owns a tree trimming service and a horse logging company, he generates more than 100 tons of branches each year and has to pay the landfill to dump them, I have him dump a lot here and let my goats eat it, but still a lot goes to waste. The local landscape companies also have to pay to dump their grass clippings and that would be a source of 10 tons or so per day, another great waste of resources. This is also logging country where they burn all the branches and tree tops after logging causing many fires each year, I think all that material really should be used to produce fuel, the logging in this area alone produces hundreds of tons of waste every day.... and burning of the slash piles produces at least 5 forest fires each year in this area.
    There is already a company doing that.
    They are called Global Green Solutions, INC. They have a division called Global Green Steam I think that takes bio wast and converts it into a fule for power plants.

You might contact them and see if they are willing to take your material off your hands, and possibly pay your for it.

It would be a win win for you as well as them if you could give them cheap access to wood waste.

http://www.globalgreensolutionsinc.com/s/Home.asp