Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Are the English People Really Germans?

Last Online
    Thursday, August 29th, 2019 @ 05:31 AM
    Ethnicity
    english/northern irish
    Ancestry
    england/northern ireland
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Single adult
    Occupation
    bookkeeper
    Politics
    libertarian
    Religion
    christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Smile

Well here is my input. Ancient and modern Celts were and are just as Northern European as Germanics. Completely different than Southern and Eastern Europeans. So in my opinion, this whole idealogy thing should broaden out to include Germanics, Celtics, Finnic, Baltic, and possibly even Northern Slavic. This area is completely different than the rest of Europe, and yet has a lot in common with each other. Thoughts on this? Am I wrong and off base?

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    608 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saxonbrit View Post
    Well here is my input. Ancient and modern Celts were and are just as Northern European as Germanics. Completely different than Southern and Eastern Europeans. So in my opinion, this whole idealogy thing should broaden out to include Germanics, Celtics, Finnic, Baltic, and possibly even Northern Slavic. This area is completely different than the rest of Europe, and yet has a lot in common with each other. Thoughts on this? Am I wrong and off base?
    While there similarities Germanics have their own language and cultural aspects separate from Celts, Slavs Finns and Baltic peoples.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    Wow, I hadn't expected to see so much hate and denial from a Frisian. Let's argue that Frisians aren't as Germanic as Saxons or Jutes, but perhaps just an ethnic intermediary with the French and Spaniards on one side and Germans and Danes on the other, for the Low Countries are just some kind of ethnic doormat. I'm sure she's got some kind of inferiority complex and overcompensating for it by attacking those of us who are her nearest kin, as if to disown the association she feels bothered by. It's obvious that she doesn't want to face the reality of the situation, since Romans, French and Spaniards all owned her country no different.

She doesn't care or is oblivious that she posted a map 1700 years out of date. It's obvious that whole nations are able to relocate, for as the Armenians moved by land, Angles took to the sea. A Frisian is wilfully blind to the North Sea as a home as much as a threat to such tranquility. It's not called the German Ocean for no reason, because it is entirely surrounded by Germanic folks. Even the Channel was renamed because of Germanic identity. I wonder if this witch thinks Flemings aren't Germanic, given her hostility to Dutch and assumption that a Baroque, Neoclassical or Romantic choice of name for its neutrality between disparate folks under common rule in a civil service (British nationalism is of the civic sort) automatically calls into question their ethnic origins. Would she agree that Scots aren't at all Gaelic but Brythonic, equal to her belief that Angles are Brythonic?

By the same token, does she view both Flemings and Walloons as Belgic? She's at the wrong website to claim that people in Britain (Angles) and presumably Belgium (Flemings, right?) are a perfect match for their states and therefore not Germanic, but that she being from the Netherlands somehow exempts herself from being Dutch, because she's "really" Germanic. Actually, she never tried to prove her own Germanic identity, only tear down those most like her own. It's hard to isolate Friesland from the conditions and status of fellow Ingvaeonic nations, since there's a common Germanic thread and core between the Netherlands, Germany, Britain and Denmark, all of which constitute the North Sea countries. I wonder if she would say that Norwegians and Swedes are not Germanic, because of the Lapps and Finns.

Actually, it is true that English, like Saxon and Jutish started out more like Frisian, but its morphology, like Jutish, assumed a more Danish character than anything now, whereas Saxon disappeared into the German vacuum. Compared to North Germanic, it's harder for English to read most West Germanic, even if word for word transcriptions are not. When Charlemagne and Cnut the Great took over, the Frisians and Saxons got pulled in the Mediterranean cultural orbit away from the Angles and Jutes, who remained Nordic. In fact, it was easy to remain aloof for the English, since insularity likewise preserved the Welsh from Rome as well as the unquestioned Germanic heritage of Icelanders and Faroese with maternal Gaelic Celt ancestry, whereas Danes attached Jutland to Scandinavia. Denmark no longer has Scandinavian soil, but is based in Jutland.

Persons who misunderstand demography ought to look at the British Isles the other way around, for what was once the Brythonic fringe has become the Gaelic fringe by the time of the potato famine, as Brythons all must learn Brythonic as a second language and this is increasingly true for the Gaeltacht. Only in Ireland is there a question about Germanic heritage, but not indifferent from that lingering over Austria. Sure, assimilation does mean breeding out the opposition, but this is hardly universal, because of it being mostly impositions upon Gaels, nor does it undermine the Germanic heritage of those who replaced the Cornish in Cornwall, nor does breeding bring doubt to Germanic identity of the Welsh Marches, only mean that a place like Anglesey still has Celtic blood in the old Principality.

Last Online
    Sunday, November 18th, 2018 @ 10:27 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    8/16 English, 1/16 Scott. English, 3/16 Irish English, 4/16 Irish
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Nationalist / Eclectic
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    240 Posts
    No. But we are close enough, racially and culturally, to be strong allies for as far into the future as I can imagine.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aelfgar For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Friday, May 25th, 2018 @ 03:27 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    German/Preussen; Irish; Norwegian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Married parent
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I agree. From research there were no real "Celtic" genes as markers, which really included various tribes across Central Europe. It is more of a cultural influence much like the Vikings. Scandinavians are still here as the Vikings either converted or was forced into Christianity. Culture can change but not so much the genes unless there is wide spread destruction. Living in the US, it does not make me less German genetically. My Nationality is American but ethnically I'm Germanic.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    Au contraire: Your Germanic genes accentuate the Englishness of Britain or America--whichever home you prefer, whether a monarchy or republic, doesn't change, because we are English Germanics either way. People need to get over the political differences between London and Washington in order accept Anglocentric assimilation encompassing both scenarios. Quit trying to be like the Amish and stop alienating yourselves from us. You think you're the only Germanic folks, whomever among you is not English of either British or American stripes?

Anglophobia is the main problem on both sides of the Pond, since we are the largest and most influential Germanic folk. British and Americans are both Protestant, while Irish and Americans are both republican. British are monarchist and Irish are Catholic, so half of each country's establishment flourishes in their trans-Atlantic colony. Britain and Germany, Ireland and Austria, (America and Canada?) certainly align very well, but most people forget this, or the "trinary" relationship between Berlin, London and Washington (Vienna, Dublin and Ottawa?). It was very real on the eve of WWI.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789