Monday, February 20th, 2017 @ 11:02 AM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Subforum Dedicated to Names and Naming

I hereby propose the board start a new subforum dedicated to names and naming. As I explained in my thread Proper Naming is Key I feel it is very important that members here be (strongly) encouraged to reflect on and eventually adopt a traditional Germanic name for a screen name. I feel this board is more than just a meeting place for Germanics; it is a stepping stone in the fight for Germanic rebirth. We need to set a good example and shine solid and manifold Germanic identity as much as we can. Names are a defining aspect of any culture, and so we must take them seriously.

The proposed subform would allow for each member to start a thread to ask for help in choosing a traditional Germanic name. Also, perhaps the thread dedicated to name change requests could (eventually) be moved to this subforum. Words of encouragement and explanation in adopting a traditional name, like the aforementioned thread Proper Naming is Key, would find their place there as well. If need be, a new introduction might be written.

I also propose to add reference to this subforum in the general introduction to new members.

Thank you for your time.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, April 12th, 2019 @ 10:19 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    I personally think such a sub-forum would be a good idea, however I wouldn't think it'd be best directly on the Index, but perhaps as a sub-category for let's say the "International Germanic Community" section or such. Members should be made to feel encouraged, but not pressurised into such a name. After all, they ought to be happy with it.

In either instance, I agree with most of your points, except for moving the "Name Change" thread into the respective sub-forum. For one, some members may still - as is their very right - not follow suit (I recall one member stating he appreciates the idea, but personally would not change his name to such a pattern) and for those cases it'd be a bit strange. For another, moving it away from the "Help & Suggestion" section might culminate in longer waiting times for the requested changes to take place; Staff Members have an extra drop-down option for "New Staff & Help Posts" (so we can find these easier to address), if it cannot be found under this section the Admin might accidentally miss it.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 02:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    West Prussia
    Ancestry
    From the roots of the Mountain.
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Occupation
    Student.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I use user names as a gauge to determine how much an individual knows of any particular Germanic culture. If one is too detached from his or her cultural foundations to find such a name appealing enough to actively seek out, it should not be forced upon them for the benefit of all.
    Life is a well of delight; but where the rabble also drink, there all fountains are poisoned.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    I personally think such a sub-forum would be a good idea, however I wouldn't think it'd be best directly on the Index, but perhaps as a sub-category for let's say the "International Germanic Community" section or such. Members should be made to feel encouraged, but not pressurised into such a name. After all, they ought to be happy with it.
    A subcategory seems fair enough. Yet how do we keep if from going unnoticed? If people are to be encouraged from day one, as you yourself proposed in the other tread, then how do we get them to visit that subcategory? I fear many will simply miss it. My counter-proposal is to have a naming subcategory in the subforum Help & Suggestions, visible on the index page, perhaps under the title Screen Names, next to FAQ and How To's.

In either instance, I agree with most of your points, except for moving the "Name Change" thread into the respective sub-forum. For one, some members may still - as is their very right - not follow suit (I recall one member stating he appreciates the idea, but personally would not change his name to such a pattern) and for those cases it'd be a bit strange.
    I don't understand. Why would it be strange?

For another, moving it away from the "Help & Suggestion" section might culminate in longer waiting times for the requested changes to take place; Staff Members have an extra drop-down option for "New Staff & Help Posts" (so we can find these easier to address), if it cannot be found under this section the Admin might accidentally miss it.
    Yes, that makes sense. Yet if we were to put the subcategory in the subforum Help & Suggestions as I suggest above, that problem would not arise, am I right?

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I am a patient man and I understand the administrators have a lot on their plate, but two weeks have passed since my last mention of this proposal and I would very much like to hear whether it has any chance of making it.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Wouldn't it perhaps be best to create such a sub-forum in the 'Questions about Germanics' -section? It's the section where guests are allowed to post, so it's the ideal place to ask for help with choosing a username before registering. And in the past I have noticed that people are often active in this section before becoming an actual member.
    And if the amount of posts resulting from asking about advice with creating a username is too low to create an entire sub-forum (perhaps often two posts per username might suffice), it's also an option to create a stickified thread, a bit like the 'Mass introduction' -thread.

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 3rd, 2011 @ 12:33 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Scotland
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Married
    Occupation
    IT Security
    Politics
    Technocrat
    Religion
    Buddhist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So...let me see if I get this right. You guys want to dictate what members choose for their screen names so it'll look more "Germanic"?

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Afrikaner
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackCross View Post
    You guys want to dictate what members choose for their screen names so it'll look more "Germanic"?
    We've been over that in the thread linked to in the opening post.

P.S. From reading you place Germanic in quotation marks I'm compelled to remind you that Germanicism is what this forum is about. If the term irks you, kindly suffer in silence.

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 3rd, 2011 @ 12:33 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Scotland
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Married
    Occupation
    IT Security
    Politics
    Technocrat
    Religion
    Buddhist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Degenhard View Post
    We've been over that in the thread linked to in the opening post.

P.S. From reading you place Germanic in quotation marks I'm compelled to remind you that Germanicism is what this forum is about. If the term irks you, kindly suffer in silence.
    Oh my, someone is defensive today.

I put Germanic in quotes to denote that having something so trivial as a screen name to look "Germanic" is stupid.

This is a Germanic forum already, why the redundancy?
    Last edited by Bernhard; Monday, April 4th, 2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Deleted ad hominem

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, April 12th, 2019 @ 10:19 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackCross View Post
    This is a Germanic forum already, why the redundancy?
    Nomen est omen?
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast