Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beauty and Brains Do Go Together: Study Claims Good-Looking Men and Women Have Higher IQs

Last Online
    Monday, February 6th, 2012 @ 09:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Is this based on IQ scores? That is nowhere close to being a legitimate means by which to judge true genius!
    IQ only tests verbal and mathematical comprehension and speed.

All the article says is that there is a correlation between verbal and mathematical comprehension/speed and being good-looking.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 05:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mostly German/Some English/Some Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    State
    Texas Texas
    Far Right
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynterwade View Post
    IQ only tests verbal and mathematical comprehension and speed.

All the article says is that there is a correlation between verbal and mathematical comprehension/speed and being good-looking.
    Would you mind explaining what difference that makes?

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Would you mind explaining what difference that makes?
    I guess you mean differences in IQ?

All it means is that, people that score high on IQ tests can think mathematically and verbally more efficient and faster. That is it.

That is nowhere close to being a legitimate means by which to judge true genius!
    They are not looking for true geniuses in this study. Only for correlations between different traits. Genius is such a vague term. Statistics is based upon concrete definitions with measurable mathematical quantities to find correlations.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 05:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mostly German/Some English/Some Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    State
    Texas Texas
    Far Right
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    @1Wynterwade
    According to science, we humans only use ten percent of our brains. Science also admits that it understands very little about the brain, much like they know very little about the oceans. If that is the case then how can science possibly know what any percentage of it is being used? Shouldn’t they be able to see and understand all 100% to notice and compare the deviation? For science to know exactly if only ten percent of it works they will first have to understand the brain 100%. In short, they can’t possibly know if even 10% is accurate. Trying to fathom the brain with percentages and IQ tests is like trying to fathom the universe with them.
    Connecting high IQ to good looks only seems to justify vanity, indeed, making it all the worse.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Connecting high IQ to good looks only seems to justify vanity, indeed, making it all the worse.
    I really don't see it that way. Correlations are usually distributed in a bit of a scatter plot kind of way. Here is an example....

Notice how the lowest point on far right of the data where X=5.0 the Y is about 75. Next notice how when X=only 3.4, the Y has a score of 85. If you look at these two points alone you would think the trend is negative. But it's not.

What I'm saying is that there are correlations. Meaning it is possible- even probably REALLY COMMON- to have attractive people with low IQ's and unattractive people with high IQ's. It's just that there is a slightly higher proportion of attractive people with high IQ's than the opposite.

Also what really is beauty? Natural looks or keeping up with youself? I think it's both.
    Here is the top rated comment...
    "HOWEVER intellegent people are more likely to keep their weight down, not smoke, look after their teeth and be generaly better kept and more estic than their low IQ counterparts, sorry but true. That's how the ugly ducklings at school turn out to be the stunners whereas the ones who were lookers back then, let themself go in their twenties.
    ^Keeping up with yourself is not vanity.

Last Online
    Thursday, August 22nd, 2019 @ 09:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    American of Northwestern European descent
    Ancestry
    Ireland, Sweden, Colonial America, Luxemburg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I'm sure there's a correlation, but I'm inclined to believe it's a weak one.

Attractiveness tends to be a function of healthy genes and a good upbringing. The same can be said of intelligence. It should come as no surprise then that there is some correlation between the two.

However, attractiveness is too subjective and intelligence too hard to measure to produce a solid, irrefutable study, in my opinion. I think the study is rather worthless. I also think it's potentially dangerous because I doubt the correlation is anywhere near great enough to be of any real relevance in our day-to-day lives, and it would be wrong to assume the intelligence of others based on their attractiveness. There are far too many outliers for it to be even a cursory gauge in that respect.

Senior Member SwordOfTheVistula's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 01:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Hmm, interesting study :]

I think the stereotype of ugly/smart and pretty/stupid derives from superficial evaluation.

Usually someone who is fairly intelligent to super genius is not going to be as concerned with their appearance and, therefore, not fit into the social norm of what's considered 'beautiful'. However, someone who is always focusing on their appearance is probably not going to be a book nerd, as they wouldn't have the interest or time (after all, looks can buy anything), and they may not be naturally attractive.

As for real, natural attractiveness, I can see why this study would be true. But usually the smartest girls/guys I've ever known have looked the part of geeks with glasses and unkempt appearance (Einstein, for example). I mean if you look at Stephen Hawking, it's enough to tell you that the brain department won't always win a beauty pageant lol.

They must have tested people based on their true, natural given attractiveness level.
    That's probably why this study is counter-intuitive to many people. It sounds very plausible to have a positive correlation between intelligence and those 'appearance' qualities related to genetics or childhood (nutrition/height etc). On the other hand, superficial qualities such as clothing, hairstyle, etc which have a lot of importance in modern pop culture but no relation to genetics or good family upbringing probably have either no correlation or even a negative correlation with intelligence.
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12