Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Choose a Fitting Germanic Username (Proper Naming is Key)

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 15th, 2012 @ 08:39 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Mostly old stock WASP with minor strains from French-Switzerland, Germany, and Italy
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student/Gravestone work
    Politics
    Nationalist Conservative
    Religion
    Religion of the Blood
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My real life first name is Gaelic, I think it's common among Anglo-Americans to give children names from the British Isles regardless of ancestry. It's not a bad name. Comes from the Gaelic "Nuallįn"

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 11:16 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zacht View Post
    As for a Germanic name. On some games and other forums I use the name Thorolf in respect towards Egil's brother and uncle from the Egil's saga. I thought about changing my name to that on here, but I'm not sure if I ever will. As for whether it fits my heritage, my ancestry has German and Scandanavian blood so I guess it would fit at least.
    I'd say - go for it, man, it's an excellent name. You might risk getting confused with Thorwolf, a member with just over 200 posts, and should thus use a distinctive avatar everyone knows you by, but other than this, if you need extra inspiration for it --- I hope I can give it. Thorolf - looking at its meaning what a name for a young man with a lot of energy, seeking to safeguard his heritage!
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Friday, January 25th, 2019 @ 01:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Maryland Maryland
    Religion
    My religious ways are odd.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    I'd say - go for it, man, it's an excellent name. You might risk getting confused with Thorwolf, a member with just over 200 posts, and should thus use a distinctive avatar everyone knows you by, but other than this, if you need extra inspiration for it --- I hope I can give it. Thorolf - looking at its meaning what a name for a young man with a lot of energy, seeking to safeguard his heritage!
    Well, maybe I will have it done soon then. That name actually has a lot of meaning to me and if I were to ever have my real name changed thats the name I'd go by. Though nowadays that sort of thing is a slap in the face to parents and not common, so I wouldn't do it.

Thorwolf was one reason I have not done it yet, he has a similar post count I thought and its a similar name. Though I guess we have different enough pictures, that it would be fine.

Last Online
    Monday, February 20th, 2017 @ 12:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zacht View Post
    The only reason I don't use a Germanic name on this forum is because zacht is a short form of my name. My full name is Zacharie Testerman. Personally, I dislike my real name as it is from the old testament and therefore Jewish. Though Zach sounds okay, I dislike its origin. The reason I chose to use zacht here is because it's a name most people online know me by and I feel I have nothing to hide in my beliefs about preservation. So I figure if someone who knows me online sees my name here then I don't mind them seeing the way I think.
    Now I figured right away your screen name zacht stands for Zach T., but I keep reading the Dutch word zacht 'soft'.

As for a Germanic name. On some games and other forums I use the name Thorolf in respect towards Egil's brother and uncle from the Egil's saga. I thought about changing my name to that on here, but I'm not sure if I ever will. As for whether it fits my heritage, my ancestry has German and Scandanavian blood so I guess it would fit at least.
    Seeing as English is the spoken language of the vast majority of American Germanics, wouldn't it be more natural for you to use an English (Germanic) traditional first name, despite any Scandinavian ancestry?

Last Online
    Friday, January 25th, 2019 @ 01:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Maryland Maryland
    Religion
    My religious ways are odd.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlef View Post
    Seeing as English is the spoken language of the vast majority of American Germanics, wouldn't it be more natural for you to use an English (Germanic) traditional first name, despite any Scandinavian ancestry?
    If we want to get back down to our roots and our cultures, it would be very unnatural for me to choose an English name. I feel no attachment to the British isles other than Scotland, where some of my ancestors settled down, though they were Scandinavian farther back and not Gaelic, so I'm not choosing a Gaelic name. I guess my dads Last name Testerman is of English origin, but it's probably one of the smallest parts of our ancestry, so I don't feel to connected to it. I feel more connected to the Scandinavian and German ancestry. I just happened to be born in a country that speaks English, a language I am not that fond of anyways.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    But your ethnicity states Anglo-American. Whether you have any connection to the british isles or not, the language of your people is English.
    I noticed that a lot of Americans tend to identify themselves with their european ancestors in stead of their current ethnicity. It's quite a shame actually; how will you ever create a strong germanic community in America if everyone identifies themselves with some distant country of which they don't even speak the language?

As for myself, well I chose the name "Bernhard" from the beginning with the idea of germanic cultural preservation in the back of my head. The name is both German and Dutch. Of course I welcome the initiative of Anlef greatly and I am glad to see that he has already convinced a couple of members. Great job!

PS. Now I've read your explanation of the meaning of the name "Anlef", I like the name even more.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago @ 02:28 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Y-DNA
    I1a1
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    I would never think of "taking possession" of anything exclusively Dutch, English or Scandinavian and it's a shame you feel that I'm doing this by picking Sigurd for my handle.
    Well, as I said, I don't mind it much, really.

Blóš ok Andi,

Since we’re discussing specific examples now –like the name Sigurd– I would like to point to yours as a screen name that is not a traditional Germanic name either. It is more of a catch phrase (or motto, yell or war cry) than the type of customary name that I am aiming at.
    Ok...sorry.

I've been contemplating to change my username to 'StainawarijaR' - the oldest personal name known to be used in Norway, meaning 'Stone Guardian' in Proto-Norse. Would that do?
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

Last Online
    Monday, February 20th, 2017 @ 12:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blóš ok Andi View Post
    I've been contemplating to change my username to 'StainawarijaR' - the oldest personal name known to be used in Norway, meaning 'Stone Guardian' in Proto-Norse. Would that do?
    Well, it's a traditional Germanic name alright, but I would say it has a bit too old a form to be recognized as such. My idea was that people here use traditional Germanic names that they might use in real life as well.

So why not dust that name, i.e. use its modern Norwegian form: Steinar?

If there already is another Steinar active on the board, you could add a patronym. Say your father's name is Erik; you could be Steinar Eriksen.

Or you could use an epithet. Say you're relatively tall: Steinar (den) Hųye. (In the Netherlands the surname de Lange is quite common. It literally means 'the Tall'.)

Or refer to your location/home: Steinar Vestfylding, Steinar av Vestfold, Steinar av Borro, etc. (Compare Dutch names that begin with van 'from, of'.)

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 11:16 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
    But your ethnicity states Anglo-American. Whether you have any connection to the british isles or not, the language of your people is English. [...] I noticed that a lot of Americans tend to identify themselves with their european ancestors in stead of their current ethnicity.
    I get your point, but this is where it becomes a little difficult. There are a good number of Germanic people, oft of German descent, in Argentina. Would you thus expect them to take a user-name such as Federico (Friederich/Fredrik), Rodolfo (Rudolf) or Aleida (Adelheid)?

Or, well --- so should an Anglo-American of German and Scandinavian heritage always pick Dustin over Thorsteinn or Thorsten, with the very few actually knowing it's a Germanic name ever since Dustin Hoffman (the Jewish actor with the most Germanic name, both on fore- and surname)?

Quote Originally Posted by Blóš ok Andi View Post
    I can see both Anlef's reservation, and your idea behind it. IMHO, it fulfils the requirements and it'd be great if you went for it. Nothing wrong with going for an older version of one's username. Albeit nothing to do with given names, I must say I liked the fact that when thiedischer was promoted to a Mod back in the old days, he changed his name to Theudiskaz.

I'm motioning for - if it can be kept - that "surnames" are also allowed. I must say I rather liked when Grimner renamed himself into Grimminger, which is also common German surname (being largely German in his ancestry, this is fitting); especially for us Austro-Bavarians this is a no-brainer, the family is so important to us that we refer to Josef Unterwurzacher as "Unterwurzacher Sepp" and to Johann Holzmayr" as "Holzmayr Hans".

If there already is another Steinar active on the board, you could add a patronym. Say your father's name is Erik; you could be Steinar Eriksen.
    This was actually part of the triple reason I went for "Sigurd Eirikson" when Sigurd, at the time, was taken.

It was more in a name that could ever be said: Reverence for Sigurd/Siegfried, reverence for the man who truly discovered the Americas --- and most finally, family history: I chose the name "Sigurd" from Day 1 at other forums for the connection I feel to my grandfather Siegfried - and noting the name has tradition in my family, I chose to pick the fact that my great-grandfather was also called Siegfried, with his father in turn being called Erich.

Noting the Eirikson otherwise would have been useless, FYI; "Siegfried Erischer" would have sounded ridiculous. This is difficult in German, with a strong surname tradition --- considering patronymics were dropped early, they still participated in some phonetic shifts, contractions, etc. --- this is why Maria Riesch is basically "Maria, spawn of Richard" (cf. Dixon, Richardson, Rikardson, Dickson) and why Friedrich Nietzsche is bascially "Friedrich, spawn of Nikolaus" (cf. Nixon).

I can see myself considering changing mine to Seyfried perhaps, considering that'd be both a forename and surname in German. Or well, the surname version of Siegfried.

Or you could use an epithet. Say you're relatively tall: Steinar (den) Hųye. (In the Netherlands the surname de Lange is quite common. It literally means 'the Tall'.)
    Don't give people ideas. A person who likes the Germanic name "Richard" and who is rather tall, might be poised to pick a user-name called "Dick Long". Hope I dong have to tell you where that is problematic on a family-friendly forum?

Another thing: What if someone chose to call themselves Armin rather than Herrmann?
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 05:52 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Vest-Agder Vest-Agder
    In a steady relationship
    Politics
    Nationalist, yet hater of none
    Religion
    Love for Åsatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Is my username proper in your eyes good folk?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast