View Poll Results: Scottish independence?

Voters
208. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

141 67.79%
  • No

44 21.15%
  • Undecided

23 11.06%
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Should Scotland Be Independent?

Last Online
    Monday, May 29th, 2017 @ 05:26 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    State
    Florida Florida
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Manifest Destiny
    Religion
    God
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    In my opinion, I don't think Scotland should separate, at least not in the way the psycho pan-Celtists want.

People have this strong misconception that Scotland is a Celtic nation, and it's always been oppressed along with their Celtic brothers in Wales and Ireland. Too many people have no idea that the Scots language is actually Germanic, and that the vast majority of Scots descend from the same people as the English. Talking of the 'Gaelic revivalism', whilst ignoring their primary Germanic language. Also, from most of what I have read, the Scots actually had an attitude of superiority towards the Ires and Welsh, helping to colonise Northern Ireland, so much for 'Celtic brotherhood'. The English and Scots saw themselves as equals, as opposed to the Welsh and Irish. The British nobility and crown is and has been riddled with Scotsmen, and I haven't seen nearly as many Irish or Welsh in there.

I think as well, the Scottish contribution to general British civilisation is enormous, their influence stretches across North America and Oceania. I am also often surprised at the prominence of Scotsmen in the literature of the British Empire, from such a relatively population.

I think the best thing is to revise the government of the United Kingdom. It would be a better solution to have Scotland and England united along Federal lines, rather than the devolved powers situation of today, it is very Westminster-centric. It could work similar to how Australia works, each of our 6 states is de jure a sovereign government, yet for the Commonwealth we submit to be represented by the Federal Government in international affairs etc. At least this way Scotland would be more autonomous, and not need to ask for powers from the government of the UK.

Heck if I went even further, the monarchy system could be totally renovated as well, have Scottish, English, Welsh and Irish Kings yet ruled over by a British Emperor, similar to the Kingdom of Bavaria within the German Empire. Although that seems unnecessary.

I just believe in too much of a kinship with the Scots to see the SNP lead them to cuddle up with the Nordic countries and make them a bigger target for 3rd worlders. History shows we built this Empire together, regardless of what Mel Gibson wants us to think.

Aka thecryingorc
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 19th, 2019 @ 12:44 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Single adult
    Politics
    Small-c conservative
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodericus View Post
    Also, from most of what I have read, the Scots actually had an attitude of superiority towards the Ires and Welsh
    Indeed, the influx of Irish immigrants were very much discriminated against during the 19th and early 20th centuries. It's difficult to tell how much of that discrimination was motivated by resentment at them "taking our jobs" and how much was motivated by actual anti-Irishness. Nowadays many Scots identify with the Irish as being 'Celtic cousins' or whatever; although there is an underlying anti-Irish, anti-catholic sentiment that is woven into the fabric of Scottish (particularly Glaswegian) society - no doubt amplified by the Celtic-Rangers bullshit.

I'm not sure about the Welsh though, I think Scots are largely indifferent to them. Like the Scots many of them harbour romantic notions of being a Celtic nation, but an interesting factoid is that less than half of them have Welsh surnames (not that I'm offering that rather flimsy piece of evidence as conclusive proof of them not being 'Celtic').

Quote Originally Posted by Theodericus View Post
    Talking of the 'Gaelic revivalism', whilst ignoring their primary Germanic language.
    The Scottish Gaelic language is actually a corrupted version of Primitive Irish, just like the other Goidelic languages. The idea that it is native to Scotland is a myth peddled by people naive enough to subscribe to pan-celtic romanticism.

According to the 2001 census just over 1% of people in Scotland had some Gaelic ability, and that number has no doubt continued to decline in the intervening years. Of course, that hasn't deterred the government from spending millions of public money on road signs that hardly anyone outwith the western isles can understand.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 13th, 2019 @ 01:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Single adult
    Religion
    Germanic Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Most common 'Welsh' surnames are not even Cymric in origin. Williams, Jones, Jenkins etc

Aka thecryingorc
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 19th, 2019 @ 12:44 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Single adult
    Politics
    Small-c conservative
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by renownedwolf View Post
    Most common 'Welsh' surnames are not even Cymric in origin. Williams, Jones, Jenkins etc
    I read somewhere recently that Jones is in fact Anglo-Saxon in origin.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 13th, 2019 @ 01:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Single adult
    Religion
    Germanic Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    They generally alot come from biblical names in origin, like John or Germanic like William.

*I don't think there were surnames as such before the Norman conquest just the Patronymic 'Ap' as 'son of'.
    Last edited by renownedwolf; Friday, August 3rd, 2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: added info

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 09:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Austria, Silesia
    Subrace
    gotisch-nordisch + alpenlńndisch
    Country
    German Empire German Empire
    Scheffjem÷pte
    Politics
    Nationalsozialismus
    Religion
    Meine eigene ;)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In my opinion Scotland should be a free country (the whole Ireland and Wales too).

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 10:25 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Jute/Angle
    Subrace
    Angle/Jute
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Married
    Occupation
    Education
    Politics
    conservative/pan Nordish
    Religion
    Mysticism/Christianity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmreiter View Post
    In my opinion Scotland should be a free country (the whole Ireland and Wales too).
    ???

They are no less free than England, Same laws, more MP's per head of population and more government funding. I would say they have a fair bit more freedom as they have an additional assembly and the question of Scot MP's voting on English matters has not been resolved.

Anyway you try to get them to vote to leave the union. They just wont do that as despite a lot of talk we have been together a long time. Lots of the English would like them to go as the union is bankrolled by the English more or less and we get sick of all the lies and fussing from the Scottish nationalists.

I like the Scots but I would be happy for them to go if they voted for it and its unlikely we could stop them going if they voted for it.

The SNP control the Scottish assembly. So why no vote on independence? They would lose so they wait and hope something bad pops up so they can get the result they want.

Your attitude is typical of people who know nothing about the issue. I think your view of the English is very negative and ill informed. We are not the world enslaving imperialists our critics say we are. We have almost no power in our own land and have been controlled for generations.

We had 13 years of Labour who flooded our nation with migrants and try and find a minister during that time who was not Jewish or a Scot. The English have had no voice for some time now. We are the ones who need to be free, the Scots can be free along with us when our "leaders" start working for us and in accordance with our will.

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 09:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Austria, Silesia
    Subrace
    gotisch-nordisch + alpenlńndisch
    Country
    German Empire German Empire
    Scheffjem÷pte
    Politics
    Nationalsozialismus
    Religion
    Meine eigene ;)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In my opinion, the british isles shoud be splitted in those free countries: England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland.
    In this thread the question was "Should Scotland Be Independant?" - and my answer is: Yes, Scotland should be indepandant. This thought isn't anti-english, its pro-scots.

I believe in the law of nations, who declare the right of every people to declare it's independency. And in this thought Scotland should have the right to declare itself for independant.

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 10:25 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Jute/Angle
    Subrace
    Angle/Jute
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Married
    Occupation
    Education
    Politics
    conservative/pan Nordish
    Religion
    Mysticism/Christianity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Scotland should have the right to declare itself for independant.
    What did you not understand in my post about them being free to hold a referendum if they want. Nothing is stopping them apart from the fact they know the result and that would be to stay in the UK.

If they vote for independence they will have it. As they are free to hold a vote but have so far failed to do so you can not say they are not free.

In short Scotland has every right to "declare itself for independent" but chooses not to. Why do you think the UK should be broken up when the nations that form it do not want it to be broken up?

Alistair Darling, the Scottish former chancellor, has challenged Alex Salmond to hold an early referendum on Scottish independence, saying the nationalist First Minister is "running away" from the issue.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...ependence.html

All they have to do is have a vote and nothing is stopping the Scottish nationalist (they have a majority in the Scot parliament and Westminster could not politically block given UK politics right now) apart from the knowledge they would lose the vote.

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 12:58 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Semnones / Fosi
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Nassau Nassau
    Constitutional dictatorship
    Religion
    ...won't save you.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I believe in the law of nations, who declare the right of every people to declare it's independency. And in this thought Scotland should have the right to declare itself for independant.
    I know this thread deals with the independence-question of Scotland, but it's so funny. Scotland should be independent, but Austria should be a part of Germany. That makes no sense. This attitude makes no sense. But it's easier to speak about foreign countries than about your own situation.

I don't like separatism. Unity is powerful. Let the UNITED KINGDOM combined.