View Poll Results: Scottish independence?

Voters
208. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

141 67.79%
  • No

44 21.15%
  • Undecided

23 11.06%
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Should Scotland Be Independent?

Last Online
    Friday, May 12th, 2017 @ 11:06 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly English, some Irish
    Subrace
    Nord-Atlantid
    Y-DNA
    R1B-L48
    Country
    England England
    State
    Northumberland Northumberland
    Capricorn
    Politics
    Right-wing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Nuh uh. Wrong. If we have an alliance with Scandinavia, once our oil is gone, we'll have other things to trade. Renewable energy for one. Or are you unaware of the Hurricane under the North Sea?
    I'm aware of it. Who'll buy it though? England? Norway and Sweden have a surplus of hydro-power - they export electricity to Denmark when their wind turbines aren't turning.
    Why would they want to buy more energy from you?

England is probably going to be powered by nuclear power plants like France is soon, so don't get your hopes up their neither.
    Besides, other electricity exporters such as France hardly make a fortune from it, you need a bit more than that. Electricity is one of the cheapest forms of energy there is.

Maybe because you screwed us over way too many times. That and the fact that a good majority of the English moan and whine about us too. Don't act like this is all one sided, mate.
    Ha - you admit it.

Yeah, yeah, I'm sure we do. The English moan about the Scots when the Scots moan about us, what do you expect?

Okay, that was bloody uncalled for.
    Maybe, but I'm just bored of the whole thing and thought I'd tell you straight.

Oh, trust me. We would if your parliament would let us.
    "Our" parliament doesn't even give us a referendum, we're prisoners.

They're clinging onto us for dear life, spouting utter rubbish and sticking their noses in our business, trying to change our plans for the referendum. So, I suggest you read what the English parliament are saying about the Scottish referendum and then say what you've just said in that post of yours
    It's a British parliament and they are unionists. They have a Scottish species too, most Labour politicians North of the border are unionists.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 3rd, 2012 @ 09:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly Yorkshire
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    One thing that interests me in all this tomfoolery is how certain Scottish members (but by no means all ) seem so preoccupied with this one single issue. It's almost like a microcosm of the SNP's entire political existence. We have threads on how indigenous populations throughout Europe are being replaced, are dropping in proportion to alien populations by double figure percentages each generation, how entire European cities have fallen to foreign hordes, and all with the sanction of our own governments -- and what is most important -- in fact, never mind that -- what is the only thing that's important to these Scottish members? Why, independ(a)nce from England, of course! we WILL stop OUR oppression BY the ENGLISH and we WILL take OUR oil SO that SCOTLAND will BE saved FOREVER!!!!!!2!!

Last Online
    Saturday, April 8th, 2017 @ 09:27 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Single adult
    Politics
    Moderate
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamar Fox View Post
    One thing that interests me in all this tomfoolery is how certain Scottish members (but by no means all ) seem so preoccupied with this one single issue.
    Do you want me to apologize for actually caring about my country? Because that'll never happen, mate.

We have threads on how indigenous populations throughout Europe are being replaced, are dropping in proportion to alien populations by double figure percentages each generation, how entire European cities have fallen to foreign hordes, and all with the sanction of our own governments -- and what's is most important -- in fact, never mind that -- what is the only thing that's important to these Scottish members?
    If you looked past your own naivety you would see that "us scottish members" do contribute and participate in those threads. Have we been focusing more on matters that hit closer to home more recently? Of course we have. Wouldn't you do the same? You've said that you grow tired of us "pathetic" Scots and our complaining of the English. Well take a good look at your self and other English members; the majority of your posts are complaining about us. It goes both ways.

Why, independ(a)nce from England, of course! we WILL stop OUR oppression BY the ENGLISH and we WILL take OUR oil SO that SCOTLAND will BE saved FOREVER!!!!!!2!!
    All of your posts are either some form of criticization of somebody's spelling error or ranting about us Scots and Scotland. Maybe it's due to a lack of real life self-esteem, so you feel the need to be a keyboard warrior? Idk, but it grows old. I suggest you get some new material.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly Yorkshire
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olav
    Do you want me to apologize for actually caring about my country?
    Genuine concern generally compels people to focus on actual problems and threats, rather than obvious phantom ones.

Because that'll never happen, mate.

I'm not your mate, pal.

If you looked past your own naivety you would see that "us scottish members" do contribute and participate in those threads.
    I've had you on ignore for a good three months now (I only unblocked you because I saw in the 'latest posts' box that you'd posted here), so I have no idea what threads you personally contribute to. But from my recollection of that unfortunate time when your posts were still visible to me, you talked primarily about this subject, as did and still does Astrid Runa.

Have we been focusing more on matters that hit closer to home more recently? Of course we have. Wouldn't you do the same?
    Number of posts I've made about matters close to home: 1547

Number of posts where I've killed the braincells of readers by identifying separation from Scotland as the solution to said problems: 0

You've said that you grow tired of us "pathetic" Scots and our complaining of the English. Well take a good look at your self and other English members; the majority of your posts are complaining about us. It goes both ways.
    True. The vast majority of my posts are about how much I hate Scots. This is so much the case, in fact, that often members PM me asking, "You never stop talking about Scots. You've never taken the time to slander anyone or anything else. What's your opinion on Poles?"

All of your posts are either some form of criticization of somebody's spelling error or ranting about us Scots and Scotland.
    You obviously aren't an avid reader of my posts, which is fine, since I'm not at all a reader of yours. You are embarrassing yourself a bit in the above, though, since everybody on Skadi has seen me defend Scots at one time or other, and everyone knows I get on very well with a certain Scottish member of Skadi -- and I've achieved both states of existence without having to backpedal on my "anti-Scottish hatred'' which exists only in your head.

Maybe it's due to a lack of real life self-esteem, so you feel the need to be a keyboard warrior? Idk, but it grows old. I suggest you get some new material.
    At least when Edgard said the above, he actually had a point, since I actually do intensely dislike Poles and have talked about this dislike extensively in the past (haven't done it in a while, mind you). What you said, though, is just laughable and all the proof I need that you've never read more than 10 of my posts, tops.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts

Scottish independence is not desired by all

As details begin to emerge about Alex Salmond’s long promised referendum on Scottish Independence, the political debate has started to heat up. Faced with the break-up of a union that stretches back to 1707, politicians have begun to argue over everything from the site of Britain’s nuclear submarines to the division of the UK national debt.

Perhaps they shouldn’t worry. According to a YouGov poll conducted in May 2007, Scottish support for Independence remains low, at 28% – with 57% against the idea. Votes for the SNP in Holyrood elections don’t seem to have translated into votes for Independence. Recent polls suggest that enthusiasm for the proposal is actually higher in England, with support reaching as high as 43%.

Critics of the SNP argue that this is because Scots know what a good deal they get from the current system; free university education, free personal care for the elderly and free NHS prescriptions all come at the expense of English taxpayers. Salmond argues that an independent Scotland could sustain this high public spending using income from their North Sea oil, but this would not be sustainable. Revenue and production are set to fall over the coming years, leaving the Scottish economy dangerously reliant on the financial services sector.

An independent Scotland would obviously inherit their fair share of the UK’s budget deficit. According to the Scottish administration’s own Government Expenditure and Revenue Exercise, in 2009-10, this would be around £14.9 billion, 13.4 per cent of GDP. When the oil runs out, Scotland will be left with a giant financial black hole.

After Independence, Scotland would be forced to reapply for EU membership. Would they keep the Pound, or join the Euro? Neither looks like a good option. Keeping the Pound would surely undermine Scotland’s claim to economic independence. And you only have to look to Portugal, Ireland and Greece to see the dangers of being a small, peripheral Eurozone country.

The SNP’s promise that an independent Scottish nation would be a “beacon of fairness” rings hollow if you look at the economics. But the more emotive arguments are no more compelling – crude nationalism isn’t going to rally the Scottish people behind the cause of independence. Nor is the historical argument convincing; events that happened over 300 years ago have little relevance to modern politics. And whilst no one can deny that Scotland has an independent, unique and vibrant culture, that won’t help them pay their way in the world.

Scottish independence is neither likely, nor a good idea. It’s no wonder Alex Salmond wants the referendum delayed until 2014.

Source
    It seems more likely English voters will repeal the Act of Union before Scottish voters do. Like the Czechs did with the Slovaks.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, February 12th, 2012 @ 04:38 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Irish, Norse.
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    In a relationship
    Occupation
    Checkout operator, Morrisons
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Æmeric View Post
    It seems more likely English voters will repeal the Act of Union before Scottish voters do. Like the Czechs did with the Slovaks.
    That article you're using to support the idea against Scottish independance is using a poll that is five years out of date.
    Using a 5 year old opinion poll? What amateur wrote this? The LATEST poll conducted by New Statesman, if you had bothered to do any research, shows support for independence at 44%, with 45% against.

The rest of the article isn’t even worth commenting on, it reads like a Daiy Mail article generator.
    This article is very silly. Has the author of this article only just caught onto this whole debate? You’re quoting a poll that’s 5 years out of date, and only quoting only one side of another recent one to fit your own argument. If this is the quality of the insight we’re going to get into this issue over the next two years then we might as well just make a purely emotional decision.
    What a horribly uninformed and misguided article.

Using polls from 5 years ago to judge support in 2012? Nonsense. The latest poll, in the telegraph this week, using the question in the Scottish Government consultation paper found that over 50% o Scots responded with a ‘yes’ vote to the question.
    As for the ‘funded by English taxpayers’ – that’s utter lies. Even using the facts you’ve listed – for ONE year- that deficit as a %GDP is lower than that of the UK governments showing a better financial position. Not to mention that Scotland contributes 9.4% of taxes and receives 9.2% of expenditure- a higher contribution to expenditure ratio was present the previous years. For 4 of the past 6 years Scotland has had a budget surplus- the UK government hasn’t had a surplus in over a decade, and the two years there wasn’t a surplus the deficit was smaller as a %GDP lower than that of the UK.
    Through your logic the UK couldn’t survive as it ‘doesn’t pay it’s way in the world’.
    As for Europe, senior EU lawyers have stated that both Scotland and the rest of the United Kingdom would be treated as successor nations and required to renegotiate their treaty’s, not be forced to reapply. Anyway- if Scotland’s forced to then so would the rest of the UK and that’s simply not going to happen. You only have to look to Norway to see what an oil rich northern nation can become- if oil is included Scotland would have the 6th Largest GDP in the World!!!

No wonder Independence support is rising- patronising and misinformed prejudicial individuals like yourself are doing a world of good. I would advise you to give up on a carer in politics or journalism, if this is the type of work you intend to produce.

Use something more recent, eh?

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly Yorkshire
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrid Runa View Post
    That article you're using to support the idea against Scottish independance is using a poll that is five years out of date.

Use something more recent, eh?
    Because five years is a long enough time for such strong convictions, timelessly woven into the Scottish folk-soul, rigorously cogitated upon to the end of reason, to shift by double-figure percentages

This must be one of those great movements of a people whose potential has existed for centuries in thought and song, and exists as strong now as a thousand years ago -- except for one brief time five years ago when nobody cared.

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 01:03 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The ways in which Scotland is subsidised is endless but it does not bother me until Scotland plays the victim

I hope that if we separate it can be amicable.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly Yorkshire
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Unity Mitford View Post
    The ways in which Scotland is subsidised is endless but it does not bother me until Scotland plays the victim

I hope that if we separate it can be amicable.
    Exactly. It's understandable to want to abandon a sinking ship. It's even understandable, if a little cowardly, to abandon a ship that'll probably sink, but still has a remote chance of having the gaping wound in its hull patched up before the ship takes on too much kebab-eating water. Nobody wanted to leave Britain when it ruled the world. People do want to leave it now that it's squatted on by the rest of the world. This is the reason, and I accept it. But to pretend the luxury yacht you deserted was a slave ship furnished throughout with every torture device imaginable, simply for the sake of making yourself the fashionable victim that the modern West's heart reflexively bleeds for and venerates as Godly without further analysis is a little pathetic, and more than a little irritating. If you want to be a victim for the sake of it, you have the personality of a Jew and should be mocked at every opportunity.

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 05:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamar Fox View Post
    Exactly. It's understandable to want to abandon a sinking ship. It's even understandable, if a little cowardly, to abandon a ship that'll probably sink, but still has a remote chance of having the gaping wound in its hull patched up before the ship takes on too much kebab-eating water.
    Yes, it's quite cowardly to desert England like that. However, I'm fairly sure Scotland is not doing this because England is a wreck from multicultural decay and too much Third World immigration. From what I've seen of the Scottish independence party, they have a leftist slant and even want Scotland to be a multicultural society (basically giving themselves the "victim label" by placing Scots in the ranks of Asians and negroes who have also been "oppressed" by evil England). So I don't think Scotland is leaving the UK because of the reasons you're saying.

Nobody wanted to leave Britain when it ruled the world.
    It's not as if Britain of that time would've allowed them to leave.

If you want to be a victim for the sake of it, you have the personality of a Jew and should be mocked at every opportunity.
    Well, blame modern society and our tendency to sympathize with everyone who is the victimized minority (or claims to be one).