Page 11 of 55 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 541

Thread: Why Are the Irish Not Considered Germanic/Nordic?

  1. #101
    Senior Member Fionn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    Wednesday, July 20th, 2011 @ 04:08 AM
    Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Subrace
    pred. Keltic-Nordid + Brünn
    Country
    United States United States
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Family
    Single, looking
    Politics
    Nationalist/Racialist
    Posts
    188
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: Why isn't Ireland considered Germanic?

    Ok, well this thread is a bit off-topic. What do you say we get back to the point of it, eh?

  2. #102
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    Wednesday, September 20th, 2006 @ 06:12 PM
    Subrace
    Scandinavian
    Country
    Finland Finland
    Location
    Österbotten
    Gender
    Family
    Single, looking
    Politics
    Right wing
    Religion
    Ásatrú
    Posts
    55
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Sv: Why isn't Ireland considered Germanic?

    After reading this discussion is hit me, one should not change a finn's image of himself/herself cause then it will end up in a great flame war.

    So next time Irish Fairy don't mention finns when trying to exlpain or ask something cause eventually the discussion gets off-topic.

    Finns are finns, Irish are irish. Germanics don't exist!

    There is no GERMANIC race, Nordid perhaps but there is at least no Germanics! Germanic is merely a language group, the word germanic means the same as teutonic which comes from (thiuth/thjódh) and means people in old germanic languages in modern german it is DEUTSCH. So the german word for germans origanally meant "people" , are all the others monkeys?

    Teuton is sometimes used as a synonyme for German. While Teutonic is a synonyme for Germanic.

    Nevertheless Germanic is the name of a language group.

    ANCIENT HOMELAND

    The people, whom originally spoke Proto-Germanic dwelled in Southern Sweden and Norway, Denmark and Northern Germany according to modern history in fact none knows since nobody who lived then is alived anymore. Anyways to believe that everybody in Northern Europe today are directly decended from the "Proto-Germanic People" is ridicolous. Hell I'd be suprised if the modern Danes and modern Northgermans are decended from the theoretical "Proto-Germanic people".

    But we do know that a lot of tribes speaking similar languages lived in northern Germany and Southern Scandinavia during the days of the Roman Empire due to Roman historians. But it is ridicolous to believe that we whom have a germanic mothertongue are 100 % decended from these "germanic tribes" since we're blond and north-europeans. Maybe we have their blood in our veins but not 100 % not even a pure southern Swede can claim to be 100% decended from any ancient germanic tribe. And the celtic blood in western Europe should not be underestimated either.

    We know that modern Swedes, Danes, Germans and Norwegians are releated with eachother more then with other peoples but they are neither pure nor "germanic". They're simply Norwegians, Germans and Swedes.

    So for once and for all GERMANIC is not a race nor a people, it is a language family/group.

    And Finns are Finns!

    Not pure "munaissuomalaiset" though but mostly of finnic heritage.

  3. #103
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    Friday, July 23rd, 2010 @ 05:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Country
    United States United States
    Gender
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Posts
    112
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Lack of Irish Messageboard?

    I thought the Irish has a Germanic influence as well. Their culture may not be but didn't the Nordics descend from the Brunn race? Also, you'd notice that there were reports of vikings landing on the Irish shorelines and spreading out from there. I also saw that the population of the Irish is 100% nordish. Is there a reason why Ireland is excluded from the Germanic messageboard?

  4. #104
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 @ 05:22 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Gender
    Posts
    405
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I guess it's because they probably identify themselves en masse as Celtic, and it seems to be a pretty popular thing there to learn Irish and associate with that culture in general. In Scotland however, I suppose the situation is similar but different, in a way. There is a lot more identification with Scots it seems. That said, maybe someone who runs the place can give a better answer.

  5. #105
    Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Thusnelda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Location
    Over the hills and far away
    Gender
    Age
    34
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siđr
    Posts
    4,381
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    36
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebulus View Post
    Is there a reason why Ireland is excluded from the Germanic messageboard?
    The Irish are not a typical part of our Germanic hemisphere. Most of them identify themselves with being Celtic. A deeper look in their history shows that there´s much reason for it. So that´s the reason why we don´t have an Irish section here at Skadi. It´s no sign of disrespect towards the Irish (in fact I like them a lot for their culture and unique pride/customs ) but just a necessary seperation.

    "Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  6. #106
    Schimmelreiter
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Hauke Haien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    Monday, September 4th, 2017 @ 08:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Deutsch
    Location
    Land der Deutschen
    Gender
    Posts
    1,841
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    22
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Ireland may be discussed from a Germanic perspective in the Germanic Influences forum and only with a sufficient posting frequency, a separate forum would be contemplated.

    In addition, having such a forum is known to be problematic, because people - erroneously - presume that being listed here represents a claim that the country has to be seen as entirely Germanic. In reality, the Germanic character of almost every single country has been contested in one way or the other, and this is of course permissible if done in an appropriate manner that complies with our forum rules.

    On the other hand, our Sverige and Norge forums do no get dozens of posts about the Sami people. This differs significantly from the observations made when forums for Ireland, France and Finland existed, where discussion of Germanic issues played practically no role at all and their non-Germanic national identity was dominant. Even now, we have forums that regularly attract contributors who refuse to or do not bother to make the claim of being Germanic, preferring other labels instead.

  7. #107
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Dagna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Northern German, Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Location
    Norway
    Gender
    Age
    41
    Politics
    Classic Liberalism
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Posts
    2,098
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    75
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    The Irish are not Germanic. They are Germanicized. Scots is a Germanic language. Gaelic is not. I believe dedicating an entire chapter to the Irish would be a mistake. Not only are the Irish not Germanic and do not identify with Germanic culture, but they are also known to complain and victimize about persecution and resent Germanics, especially the English. Some of them strongly identify with Roman Catholicism and the IRA.


    Die Sonne scheint noch.

  8. #108
    Waffenbrüder und Blut
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Rassenhygieniker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Homo europćus
    Ancestry
    Iutum (Jutes), Agendicum (Sénons)
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Location
    Scotland
    Gender
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    NS-Eugeniker
    Religion
    Highland Catholic
    Posts
    729
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    The Irish are not a typical part of our Germanic hemisphere. Most of them identify themselves with being Celtic. A deeper look in their history shows that there´s much reason for it. So that´s the reason why we don´t have an Irish section here at Skadi. It´s no sign of disrespect towards the Irish (in fact I like them a lot for their culture and unique pride/customs ) but just a necessary seperation.
    There is a noticeable Germanic influence in Ireland, it is notably the case in the Southern province of Munster and in the Eastern province of Leinster.

    Think of Ireland as a an ice-cream topped with 4 different flavors


    North Ireland - Province of Ulster - Celto-Nordids and Celtoids.

    West Ireland - Province of Connacht - Atlanto-Mediterranids, Keltic iron age types and two special subtypes of Aran Islanders.

    East Ireland - Province of Leinster - CM and reduced CM, Anglosaxon-Pan Nordids, and there is a small minority of a short and stocky subrace that I have not been able to identify properly. Perhaps they are issued from a strain of the non-Germanic Mediterraneans present in Wales.

    South Ireland - Province of Munster - Keltic-Nordids and Nordids.


    Province of Ulster

    Celtoid


    Celto-Nordid



    Province of Connacht

    Atlanto-Mediterranid


    Keltic iron age type (usually depicted as being the "classic" Irishman)

    Aran islander type #1 (old Corded-looking type, strong bony relief, low auricular head, unsmooth hair texture)


    Aran islander type #2 (rounder head, less prominant nose, flater scalp and some of them are lighter haired)



    Province of Leinster

    CM and reduced CM


    Anglosaxon-Pan Nordids



    Province of Munster

    Keltic-Nordid


    Nordid



    So you see, aside from the extreme racial case of Connacht, and in some extent Ulster, Ireland is a pretty Germanized country as you can see the signs of a Germanic influence racially and culturally.

  9. #109
    Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Sigurd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    Friday, August 16th, 2019 @ 06:42 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Location
    Einöde in den Alpen
    Gender
    Age
    31
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Posts
    9,080
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    50
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    186
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    On the Germanicness of Ireland, and which sub-forums may apply I will say no more, Valkyrie and Hauke Haien have already correctly pointed to all things relevant.

    I will however discuss in some detail with members some of their claims.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dagna View Post
    Some of them strongly identify with Roman Catholicism and the IRA.
    There is nothing un-Germanic with Roman Catholicism per se. Otherwise, you are labelling Austrians, Bavarians, Westphalians and Flemings as un-Germanic ... which all of us would gladly dispute.

    In the larger German-Dutch continuum this Catholic/Protestant divide would not be applicable, since it was a matter of cuius regio, eius religio (whose region, his religion), saying very little about the cultural character of any region, but more about the loyalties, religious or otherwise, of their rulers at the very time of the Augsburger Religionsfrieden, a settlement which finally did away for the most part with intra-German religious warring, which had carried on for substantial time.

    Thus, whilst this Catholic/Protestant divide as a Celtic/Germanic divide is somewhat true for Ireland - the latter oft being late English-descended arrivals - you should not make the mistake of assuming that which is true for one country is automatically true for all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rassenhygieniker View Post
    There is a noticeable Germanic influence in Ireland [...] signs of a Germanic influence racially and culturally.
    Such an elegant and well-constructed argument, just a shame that the two premises (Ireland is a Germanic country. Ireland has Nordish racial influence.) do not validly add up to the conclusion you derived (Ireland is a Germanic country.)

    For this to be a fully logical argument you need a third premise. That premise would be "Nordish racial influence is Germanic". Such an argument can however be empirically refuted by counter-example without much need for formal logical derivation: The fact that there exists at least one Nordid which is not Germanic, disproves your assumption that this quantifies for ALL, rather than just for SOME.

    If the quantifier of a logical equation is existential (SOME) rather than universal (OTHER) then transcribing this into propositional logic will never result in a biconditional argument (e.g. P ↔ Q). Therefore your claim is based on false logic.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

    (Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

  10. #110
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Dagna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Northern German, Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Location
    Norway
    Gender
    Age
    41
    Politics
    Classic Liberalism
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Posts
    2,098
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    75
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    There is nothing un-Germanic with Roman Catholicism per se. Otherwise, you are labelling Austrians, Bavarians, Westphalians and Flemings as un-Germanic ... which all of us would gladly dispute.
    Roman Catholicism per se, as any sect of Christianity is ungermanic. It is not indigenous to our Germanic ancestors. But that was not what I meant. The reason I singled out Roman Catholicism was that in the UK, religious divide corresponds with ethnic divide. In 99% of cases, if one is a Catholic, then one is Celtic. In the UK, Roman Catholicism is in opposition to all things Germanic. I believe it also explains why the Irish feel more akin to the Spanish than to the English.

    In the larger German-Dutch continuum this Catholic/Protestant divide would not be applicable, since it was a matter of cuius regio, eius religio (whose region, his religion), saying very little about the cultural character of any region, but more about the loyalties, religious or otherwise, of their rulers at the very time of the Augsburger Religionsfrieden, a settlement which finally did away for the most part with intra-German religious warring, which had carried on for substantial time.

    Thus, whilst this Catholic/Protestant divide as a Celtic/Germanic divide is somewhat true for Ireland - the latter oft being late English-descended arrivals - you should not make the mistake of assuming that which is true for one country is automatically true for all.
    I don't believe I was referring to any religious divide in Germany and I did not say what is true for Ireland is true for any other countries. Although it can very well apply to the USA. Here, most who identify with Roman Catholicism are not Germanic. The context was more than obvious if you read the thread title, and I have explained it above, but I guess you just love to nitpick.


    Die Sonne scheint noch.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 137
    Last Post: Thursday, September 27th, 2018, 10:54 PM
  2. The Germanic Irish
    By TheHeathenSociety in forum Germanic Diaspora, Enclaves, & Influences
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Tuesday, August 21st, 2012, 12:49 PM
  3. What are considered dominant Germanic Haplogroups?
    By BMWkid in forum Population Genetics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Tuesday, May 1st, 2012, 02:39 AM
  4. Is Wavy or Curly Hair Considered Non-Germanic?
    By tisme in forum Physical Anthropology
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012, 07:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •