Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 78

Thread: Would You Support Creating a 'Thumbs Down' Option on Skadi?

  1. #1
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Gefjon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Gender
    Age
    39
    Family
    Married parent
    Posts
    1,381
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    78
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    201
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

    Grin Stupid Button

    I got many positive reactions for my stupid button post and someone even suggested this:
    What a great idea! Why not post that as a suggestion?
    So here it is, my suggestion to add a stupid button we can push when we read retarded posts.

  2. #2
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member


    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    Saturday, October 2nd, 2010 @ 12:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Gender
    Posts
    962
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    A post without any thanks speaks for itself.

  3. #3
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Æmeric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Gender
    Age
    57
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Posts
    6,275
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    575
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    527
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Or maybe we could just award negative reputation.0000:

  4. #4
    Senior Member IlluSionSxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    Sunday, December 14th, 2008 @ 03:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Gender
    Age
    38
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Posts
    582
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The problem with a "stupid button" or with negative reputation, is that it is often used not to punish bad posts but to punish controversial opinions. Since this is a forum where viewpoints differ from very mainstream to very controversial, I don't think that would be a good idea as it could increase tension between people of oposing ideologies.

  5. #5
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Gefjon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Gender
    Age
    39
    Family
    Married parent
    Posts
    1,381
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    78
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    201
    Thanked in
    95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deary View Post
    A post without any thanks speaks for itself.
    Don't think so. Are you saying posts without thanks are stupid? eyes:

    Quote Originally Posted by Americ View Post
    Or maybe we could just award negative reputation.0000:
    How about both a stupid button AND negative reputation?

  6. #6
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member


    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    Saturday, October 2nd, 2010 @ 12:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Gender
    Posts
    962
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    Don't think so. Are you saying posts without thanks are stupid? eyes:
    No, but it is likely that a post without thanks is generally not regarded well enough, for whatever reason, to receive at least thanks.

  7. #7
    Senior Member IlluSionSxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    Sunday, December 14th, 2008 @ 03:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Gender
    Age
    38
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Posts
    582
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    How about both a stupid button AND negative reputation?
    Too many people use such an option irresponsibly on posts they strongly disagree with because they're too narrowminded to even consider the idea. It has been tried on many other forums and it is usually avoided because of the friction it causes.

    In fact, many forums have also abolished the "reputation" concept altogether, because it tends to turn forums into popularity contests.

  8. #8
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Gefjon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Gender
    Age
    39
    Family
    Married parent
    Posts
    1,381
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    78
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    201
    Thanked in
    95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deary View Post
    No, but it is likely that a post without thanks is generally not regarded well enough, for whatever reason, to receive at least thanks.
    Well I still think we need a stupid button to express our feelings negatively too. Why should we only be positive or indifferent? :p

    Quote Originally Posted by IlluSionSxxx View Post
    Too many people use such an option irresponsibly on posts they strongly disagree with because they're too narrowminded to even consider the idea. It has been tried on many other forums and it is usually avoided because of the friction it causes.

    In fact, many forums have also abolished the "reputation" concept altogether, because it tends to turn forums into popularity contests.
    Cmon, criticism is welcome. If people dislike something they should have the right to disagree through reputation and buttons. You can do the same to them. I'm sure no one here would like it if the positive reputation was disabled.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Saturday, July 4th, 2009 @ 08:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Gender
    Posts
    537
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    Well I still think we need a stupid button to express our feelings negatively too. Why should we only be positive or indifferent? :p
    Because what you disagree with may not be, as opposed to what one might think at the first sight, stupid.

    I would be very "liberal" (original sense, that is generous) with a stupid button, though I disagree with the idea. No post with an idea or opinion correctly stated should be slayed, but trashy low-brow topics or very uninteresting posts ("I want pizza" kind of shout) sometimes deserve it.
    "The heavenly motions... are nothing but a continuous song for several voices, perceived not by the ear but by the intellect,
    a figured music which sets landmarks
    in the immeasurable flow of time."

  10. #10
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member


    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    Saturday, October 2nd, 2010 @ 12:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Gender
    Posts
    962
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    Well I still think we need a stupid button to express our feelings negatively too. Why should we only be positive or indifferent? :p
    The best place to show disapproval of an opinion is to refute it in the thread for everyone to discuss. The amount of reputation and thanks a person receives is/should be a reflection of how respected their opinions are. It's not a sign indifference so much as a silent understanding. Any negative reputation and "stupid button" is unnecessary for the reasons IlluSionSxxx has already stated.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Best Option for White Americans
    By Plantagenet in forum The United States
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: Friday, October 29th, 2010, 08:46 AM
  2. Bold Option
    By Mrs. Lyfing in forum Help & Suggestions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Saturday, January 17th, 2009, 02:52 AM
  3. New Feature: Ancestry As a Profile Option
    By Deary in forum Help & Suggestions
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: Monday, December 1st, 2008, 10:58 PM
  4. French Nutritionists Give Thumbs Up to Big Mac?
    By Taras Bulba in forum Health, Fitness & Nutrition
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Saturday, April 24th, 2004, 07:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •