Ancestry
    German
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Hitchens died the other day, and for some reason this prompted the Canadian politics channel (CPAC) to re-broadcast the debate that was held November 2010 between himself and Tony Blair. The latter was totally ineffective in presenting an accurate argument about the truth about Christianity, while Hitchens was the typical atheist "thinker" making a smug, sarcasism-laced argument based on a completely ignorant and warped understanding of Christianity. I can't help but wonder why so many of these atheists in having virtually no understanding of Christianity think that they have any real grounds for entering into a debate about its "validity". Don't they realize that every time they open their mouths they just reveal this selves to be ignorant and foolish? Guess not. (Or as long as they can make money off of it, they don't care to admit it...)

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Thursday, May 3rd, 2012 @ 09:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly Yorkshire
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardisten
    The latter was totally ineffective in presenting an accurate argument about the truth about Christianity
    Yes, things that aren't true tend to have ineffective arguments as to their truth.

I can't help but wonder why so many of these atheists in having virtually no understanding of Christianity think that they have any real grounds for entering into a debate about its "validity".
    Probably for the same reasons you don't need to know how many buttons Santa has on his coat to know that he doesn't exist, and that only a child or a spastic could believe different.

Don't they realize that every time they open their mouths they just reveal this selves to be ignorant and foolish? Guess not. (Or as long as they can make money off of it, they don't care to admit it...)
    I suppose not. Having better arguments than the opposition and consistently defeating them with ease tends to have the opposite effect on one's self-concept.

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 @ 09:43 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    "Hitchens was the typical atheist "thinker" making a smug, sarcasism-laced argument ..."

I agree. Atheists always make me want to punch them in the face. Funny thing is, they speak "matter-of-factly" about it as if they have all the answers. They think science is everything, even though we're still pretty ignorant in the grand scheme of things .. not to mention that science has proved unreliable time and time again. Atheists are just as naive as any christian.
    "The mystery and secret of Wotan is not that "knowledge" of him is passed along through clandestine cults or even through the re-discovery of old books and texts--but rather that such knowledge is actually encoded in a mysterious way in the DNA, in the very genetic material, of those who are descended from him." - Secret of the Gothick God of Darkness

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Thursday, May 3rd, 2012 @ 09:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly Yorkshire
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauz R. Waldher View Post
    "Hitchens was the typical atheist "thinker" making a smug, sarcasism-laced argument ..."

I agree. Atheists always make me want to punch them in the face. Funny thing is, they speak "matter-of-factly" about it as if they have all the answers. They think science is everything, even though we're still pretty ignorant in the grand scheme of things .. not to mention that science has proved unreliable time and time again. Atheists are just as naive as any christian.
    But you don't know what I think, only what I don't. My conception of the universe and existence is a lot more complex and original than that of any religious person I know. I hint at it from time to time, and I once attempted to explain a portion of it at length. No one was interested, which is fine -- the ideas are mine and mine alone, and I'm far from dogmatic about their 'truth'. They're where logic led me, but I recognise the flaws possible in my logic, and in all logic in general (being the mode of expression of something that may well be inherently flawed: the human intellect). But don't assume that disbelief in God is the beginning and end of an atheist's understanding of the universe. It simply means that whatever conclusions he reaches as to the nature of existence are much more likely to be guided by rationality than emotion and superstition.

Science is the perfect method of mapping empirical reality -- the world of human experience. Whether the human consciousness has boundaries beyond which it can't see, or there are planes which it can't occupy is possible -- and I don't mean other planes and realms in some silly religious sense, but in a Kantian one, of 'things' that are inherently inconceivable to the human mind, and have either no or a too-obscure-to-understand causal connection to our reality. But since these planes, if they exist, are pure negatives (from our perspective), they have no philosophical, much less practical relevance. Science can explain everything relevant to human experience, except the universe's deepest fundaments -- and this, again, not because of some divine origin, but because science can only explain 'in terms of', and the deepest fundaments of the universe (if they even exist) lack an 'in terms of'.

Last Online
    Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 @ 08:18 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Denmark, Germany, Sweden, Norway
    Subrace
    Norid
    Country
    German Fraternity German Fraternity
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Medical Student/Tutor/Pianist
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamar Fox View Post
    I hint at it from time to time, and I once attempted to explain a portion of it at length. No one was interested, which is fine -- the ideas are mine and mine alone, and I'm far from dogmatic about their 'truth'.
    I didn't get to read your explanation. Would you mind repeating it? I'm interested :}

νυνι δε μενει πιστις ελπις αγαπη τα τρια ταυτα μειζων δε τουτων η αγαπη

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 11:14 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Grandparrents Faroese, now live in germany
    Ancestry
    My grandparrents on mother side where faroese, my father was born in munich,
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Baden-Wuerttemberg Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Heilerziehuingspfleger
    Politics
    no party affiliation
    Religion
    germanic heathen norse
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauz R. Waldher View Post

Most atheists i have met don´t think science knows everything, but they think that science has given us the best answers/the best insight we have about nature etc., which is absolutely correct. Science freely admits that they work only with theories, that are as close as possible (with our current knowledge) to how nature really works. Most atheists are aware of that. But even those that are not have usually way better answers then most christians i meet on the internet.
    How exactly has science proven to be unreliable ? Because theories get overturned ? Usually the new theories are just more exact, and the old theories are still in use, because they may be not exact, but exact enough for most purposes. Take gravity for example. Newtons theory got overturned by einstein, yet we used newtons theories for most of the space program, since einsteins formulas where to complicated to compute at the time (you need to keep in mind that the computers they had had less abilities then a calculater has today) and newtons where good enough.
    btw. do you know anything that has brought us better answers , better technology, has saved more lives and has given us deeper insight into nature then science ? Science has given us so much and asked so little in return, that the least we can do is give it the respect it so rightfully earns !!!
    There won't be humans in 500 years. Enough people choke themselves when they jerk off we gave it a name. We ain't a species made to last.

Judging by it´s name common sense must once have been a pretty common thing. When and why did that change, so it became the rare treasure it is today???

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 11:14 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Grandparrents Faroese, now live in germany
    Ancestry
    My grandparrents on mother side where faroese, my father was born in munich,
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Baden-Wuerttemberg Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Heilerziehuingspfleger
    Politics
    no party affiliation
    Religion
    germanic heathen norse
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    At what cost? The lack of responsibility of scientists and Babel-builders has left us with a sick and dying planet filled with air, water, and soil pollution, stronger diseases, mass-destruction of trees and the environment, hormone injected meat and vegetables, overpopulation, etc etc.
    And you insist we should be thankful?

How is that the fault of science ? By the same logic we should put guns in jail for shooting people ! Science is a tool, if we abuse it to destroy our planet that is not the fault of science, its the fault of those who abuse it. Science has told us 60 years ago already that we need to stop polluting the planet, yet we did not listen. Now you want to give science the fault for that ? If you use science correct it saves lives in the millions, and that is just one of many positive things science gave us, so yes it deserves respect for that !!! If you hate science so much why do you use a computer, you only have thanks to science, why do you use your car, use your refrigerator, use your tv, use the internet, go to the doctor etc.etc.etc. All those things you owe science, so if you hate science stop using them. If not pay science the respect it rightfully earns for giving you all those things !!!
    There won't be humans in 500 years. Enough people choke themselves when they jerk off we gave it a name. We ain't a species made to last.

Judging by it´s name common sense must once have been a pretty common thing. When and why did that change, so it became the rare treasure it is today???

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    What exactly IS the purpose of atheism?
    As far as I can tell atheism is whoever can deny god in the most clever manner.
    Is it an intellectual competition?
    Lol, at times it can appear that way. But like HF wrote, for most atheists this attitude comes as naturally as breathing. It’s not something we think about on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    What good is it?

What worth is it supposed to ultimately have?
    How is atheism supposed to benefit not only the world but those who adhere to it?
    After atheism...what next for the individual?
    Atheism frees me from false hope, thereby making my life more manageable, and indeed in many ways making me, as an individual, stronger.

If anything, atheism will breed stronger individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Albrektsdotter View Post
    I don't think we should be so quick to dismiss the paranormal. There are many things science cannot explain
    Anything that was ever ascribed to the supernatural eventually gave in to science. Take anything, absolutely anything, and some branch of science is more than capable of explaining it very nicely without reverting to the supernatural. The same cannot be said of superstition explaining any of the innumerable things ascribed to scientific thought.