Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,393 Posts

Europe to Ban Hundreds of Herbal Remedies

Europe to ban hundreds of herbal remedies

Safety concerns sparked drive to outlaw products

Hundreds of herbal medicinal products will be banned from sale in Britain next year under what campaigners say is a "discriminatory and disproportionate" European law.

With four months to go before the EU-wide ban is implemented, thousands of patients face the loss of herbal remedies that have been used in the UK for decades.

From 1 May 2011, traditional herbal medicinal products must be licensed or prescribed by a registered herbal practitioner to comply with an EU directive passed in 2004. The directive was introduced in response to rising concern over adverse effects caused by herbal medicines.

The UK Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has issued more than a dozen safety alerts in the past two years, including one over aristolochia, a banned toxic plant derivative which caused kidney failure in two women.

Herbal practitioners say it is impossible for most herbal medicines to meet the licensing requirements for safety and quality, which are intended to be similar to those for pharmaceutical drugs, because of the cost of testing.

According to the Alliance for Natural Health (ANH), which represents herbal practitioners, not a single product used in traditional Chinese medicine or ayurvedic medicine has been licensed. In Europe, around 200 products from 27 plant species have been licensed but there are 300 plant species in use in the UK alone.

The ANH estimates the cost of obtaining a licence at between Ł80,000 and Ł120,000 per herb. They say this is affordable for single herbal products with big markets, such as echinacea, a remedy for colds and flu, but will drive small producers of medicines containing multiple herbs out of business.

Under EU law, statutorily regulated herbal practitioners will be permitted to continue prescribing unlicensed products. But the Coalition Government and the previous Labour administration have delayed plans to introduce a statutory herbal practitioner register.

This means thousands of patients who rely on herbal treatments face being denied access to them. Medical organisations, including the MHRA, have warned the measures may drive patients to obtain herbal medicines over the internet – where risks are much greater.

Michael McIntyre, the chairman of the European Herbal and Traditional Medicine Practitioners Association, said: "The problem is you can't get a licence for many herbal medicines because they are grown in people's back gardens and you can't patent them. The implications are very serious. Patients want to receive treatment from trained and qualified practitioners but unless we have regulation they can't have confidence in who is treating them. The worst outcome is that patients will end up going to the internet for their herbal medicines where there are no controls."

Dr Rob Verkerk, of the ANH, said: "Thousands of people across Europe rely on herbal medicines to improve their quality of life. They don't take them because they are sick – they take them to keep healthy. If these medicines are taken off the market, people will try and find them elsewhere, such as from the internet, where there is a genuine risk they will get low quality products, that either don't work or are adulterated."

The MHRA said it had received applications for licences for 166 herbal products, of which 78 had been granted. Sir Alasdair Breckenridge, chairman of the MHRA, said a register of herbalists was essential. "Just because something is natural doesn't mean it is safe," he said. "It is terribly important to have responsible people who have undergone training prescribing these products."

Edzard Ernst, professor of complementary medicine at the University of Exeter, said proposals for regulation would be worthless unless they required practitioners to follow best evidence for the effects of their remedies. "It is in danger of regulating nonsense – and that must result in nonsense," he said.

A review of the codes of conduct by which alternative practitioners were bound found the "vast majority" did not include an obligation to report adverse effects, he said. The only exception was the Chinese Herbal Medicine Code which advised members to report "cases of industrial poisoning or accident".

A spokesman for the Department of Health said no decision had been made on a statutory register of herbal practitioners. "The Government is aware of the strength of feeling on this issue and is actively exploring options."

Remedies under threat ...

Cascara bark (Cascara sagrada, Rhamnus purshiana)

Helps stimulate a sluggish bowel.

Pau D'Arco (Tabebuia impetiginosa)

Anti-inflammatory, used for infection control.

Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera, or winter cherry)

Anti-inflammatory, for arthritis and boosting the immune system.

Skullcap (Scutellaria baicalensis/Chinese skullcap)

For anxiety, headaches and pain relief.

Meadowsweet (Filipendula ulmaria)

For stomach acidity, diarrhoea, headache.

Horny goat weed (Epimedium grandiflorum)

Used to enhance libido.

-----------------------------------------------------

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...s-2171781.html

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, February 11th, 2012 @ 02:44 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Viking-Celtic Briton
    Ancestry
    Yorkshire/Mercia/South Manchester/Abergavenny/Ireland/Scandinavia and Germany
    Subrace
    Borreby-Brunnid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Family
    Single :(
    Religion
    superstishus
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godwinson View Post
    Hundreds of herbal medicinal products will be banned from sale in Britain next year under what campaigners say is a "discriminatory and disproportionate" European law.
    Isn't every EU law?

including one over aristolochia, a banned toxic plant derivative which caused kidney failure in two women.
    Two? Do we know how many took it at the time?

thousands of patients who rely on herbal treatments face being denied access to them. Medical organisations, including the MHRA, have warned the measures may drive patients to obtain herbal medicines over the internet – where risks are much greater.
    Did the EU think about this? As the above quote says those who need remedies won't be able to get them and this will probably force them to buy
    off the internet where products like this are commonly filled with cr*p.

Michael McIntyre, the chairman of the European Herbal and Traditional Medicine Practitioners Association, said: "The problem is you can't get a licence for many herbal medicines because they are grown in people's back gardens and you can't patent them. The implications are very serious. Patients want to receive treatment from trained and qualified practitioners but unless we have regulation they can't have confidence in who is treating them. The worst outcome is that patients will end up going to the internet for their herbal medicines where there are no controls."
    The law makers should listen to him, as a chairman of a dedicated herbal remedy association I think he knows more about the subject then they do.

Dr Rob Verkerk, of the ANH, said: "Thousands of people across Europe rely on herbal medicines to improve their quality of life. They don't take them because they are sick – they take them to keep healthy.
    If the EU really wants a law they'll make it without thinking of the consequences.

Edzard Ernst, professor of complementary medicine at the University of Exeter, said proposals for regulation would be worthless unless they required practitioners to follow best evidence for the effects of their remedies. "It is in danger of regulating nonsense – and that must result in nonsense," he said.
    I couldn't say it better myself

Grand Member
    Last Online
    Thursday, October 31st, 2019 @ 04:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,393 Posts
    This new EU legislation follows hot on the heels of Food Bill s510 in the USA so is there a link here, I wonder?

It certainly wouldn't surprise me!

Last Online
    43 Minutes Ago @ 10:10 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    554 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godwinson
    This new legislation follows hot on the heels of Food Bill s510 in the USA so is there a link here, I wonder?

It certainly wouldn't surprise me!
    Yupp, look here: Codex Alimentarius

Seeing that WHO is involved, this should ring some alarm bells
    Ein Leben ist nichts, deine Sprosse sind alles
    Aller Sturm nimmt nichts, weil dein Wurzelgriff zu stark ist
    und endet meine Frist, weiss ich dass du noch da bist
    Gefürchtet von der Zeit, mein Baum, mein Stamm in Ewigkeit

my signature

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, February 12th, 2012 @ 05:38 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Irish, Norse.
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    In a relationship
    Occupation
    Checkout operator, Morrisons
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As a practitioner of herbal healing, I find this to be quite unfair.
    I rely on St. Johns Wort to keep my depression at bay. Without medication, my depression could take hold and I could end up taking my life. Why do I take St. Johns Wort? Because modern Medicine didn't work. It made me worse.

The EU aren't taking into consideration the consequences of banning herbal remedies. People rely on them, not just to improve their quality of life, but also to make them better.
    Things like Aloe Vera have been proven to help with arthritis.

It's stupid that they're banning it based on what happened to a small minority of people. Not all remedies agree with everyone, but they work a damn sight better than most Modern Medicines.

Last Online
    43 Minutes Ago @ 10:10 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    554 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrid Runa
    The EU aren't taking into consideration the consequences of banning herbal remedies.
    Oh, they do. This is the worrysome part of that, really. They know exactly what they do. The Codex also one day will limit the free availability of vitamines, not only synthetic ones, but also real ones in fruits and so on.

This is not about "food safety", this is to secure the supply chain, aka secure the sells of mega corporations. Just look at all the patented plants meanwhile, with "secured" supply chain, ie the farmer has to buy the seeds from the mega corp to be able to sell the product to the market. The farmer cannot keep his own seeds, and "wild" growth he cannot sell (apart from local markets, but this will be made impossible soon too). Same for medical products. It's not about product safety, it's only about to secure the sells of pharma giants.

What's coming from the WHO is never good.
    Ein Leben ist nichts, deine Sprosse sind alles
    Aller Sturm nimmt nichts, weil dein Wurzelgriff zu stark ist
    und endet meine Frist, weiss ich dass du noch da bist
    Gefürchtet von der Zeit, mein Baum, mein Stamm in Ewigkeit

my signature

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, February 12th, 2012 @ 05:38 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Irish, Norse.
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    In a relationship
    Occupation
    Checkout operator, Morrisons
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    These idiots obviously havn't done their homework, then... *snarls*

Grand Member
    Last Online
    Thursday, October 31st, 2019 @ 04:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,393 Posts
    Why do I take St. Johns Wort? Because modern Medicine didn't work. It made me worse.
    Totally agreed! I've had some horrendous experiences with modern medicine and steer well clear of it these days

I'm following this situation closely because if/when they do finally ban "alternative" products, I'll be getting in a 10-year supply before it disappears. Still, this won't be of any help to future generations and I believe the agenda is to have a sickly population that's dependent on Big Pharma (as the sole supplier) to address their health problems, in conjunction with a government that creates many of them in the first place!!!

One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Geto-Dacian & German (Moldova, Transylvania, Austrian Empire, Mecklenburg)
    Óđins mćr
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    464 Posts

Exclamation You Should ACT RIGHT NOW, if You Want a HEALTHY FUTURE for You and Your Family! (Especially, and Not Only, Addressed to EU Germanics)

EUROPEAN REFERENDUM INITIATIVE

A Referendum for Natural Remedies

What is the 'Referendum for Natural Remedies' campaign?
    The campaign aims to guarantee free access to scientifically based natural health remedies for all European Union citizens, via the holding of a 'Referendum for Natural Remedies' in all 27 European Member States. To achieve this, we want to obtain one million signatures in a petition demanding that the European Union hold such a referendum without delay.

Why is there a need for this initiative?
    Draconian laws, intended to ban information on many natural health remedies and their uses, are increasingly being introduced throughout Europe under the guise of the "protection of public health." This is being done despite the fact that millions of people die every year from chronic diseases such as heart attacks, strokes and cancer and that thousands of clinical and scientific studies already show natural remedies (including vitamin therapies) can prevent the occurrence of these diseases.

[...]
    Read more: http://www.eu-referendum.org/english/petitions/natural_remedies_info.html

The protection of our health is one of the most fundamental human rights and yet, every year, millions of Europeans die from preventable health problems like heart attacks, strokes and cancer.

Scientific findings have shown that these diseases (and many others) can be prevented using side-effect free natural remedies. To date, over 10,000 studies have been published in the scientific press and on the Internet demonstrating the vital importance of vitamins and other natural remedies.

However, laws are being introduced at national and European levels which will ban free access to this vital health information and to non-patentable natural remedies, such as vitamins.

Nobody should have the power to endanger our right to good health and long life. We must ensure that we exercise our citizens' rights in order to protect our health and safeguard our lives.

We call upon the European Union to protect the fundamental right to good health of all citizens.

We appeal to all responsible politicians in the European Union to carry out a 'Referendum for Natural Remedies' to guarantee every citizen in Europe the right to free and unrestricted access to vitamin therapies and other natural remedies.

We call on the governments of Europe to enshrine the right to referendums in their national constitutions.
    Sign the petition online: http://www.eu-referendum.org/english/petitions/natural_remedies.php

Really... I'm really pissed off by this stuff, and seeing how things are going! What are all those people up to??? Our lands turn more and more into a living hell, like this... When are people going to really do something, and wake up from their ignorant sleep?

I personally don't take any medicines, not even if I'm very ill. All I take is just raw medicinal plants. That's natural and that's NATURE!

I really had a hard time since I moved to Norway, because here it's impossible to find raw plants, kept in proper conditions (everything I was able to find in shops were mostly the plants which are also used as condiments, but they were put in plastic bags, which is very very bad; medicinal plants should be kept in paper bags all the time, because plastic can alter their properties!). So, I'm lucky to have a really nice family, in my home country, who sent me medicinal plants, for my own use, all the time!

But... I'm really concerned about how things are going... It seems like Norway is already lost (I feel really sorry to say that), and I don't want to see the same situation all over Europe! I don't want to move to Asia or who knows elsewhere, in order to be able to live a healthy and NATURAL life!

What about you? What are you going to do about it?
    Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.

Last Online
    Monday, August 6th, 2012 @ 08:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    German/Irish
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Computer CAD/ Civil
    Politics
    Libertarian/Conservative
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Víđálfr View Post
    Read more: http://www.eu-referendum.org/english/petitions/natural_remedies_info.html

Sign the petition online: http://www.eu-referendum.org/english/petitions/natural_remedies.php

Really... I'm really pissed off by this stuff, and seeing how things are going! What are all those people up to??? Our lands turn more and more into a living hell, like this... When are people going to really do something, and wake up from their ignorant sleep?

I personally don't take any medicines, not even if I'm very ill. All I take is just raw medicinal plants. That's natural and that's NATURE!

I really had a hard time since I moved to Norway, because here it's impossible to find raw plants, kept in proper conditions (everything I was able to find in shops were mostly the plants which are also used as condiments, but they were put in plastic bags, which is very very bad; medicinal plants should be kept in paper bags all the time, because plastic can alter their properties!). So, I'm lucky to have a really nice family, in my home country, who sent me medicinal plants, for my own use, all the time!

But... I'm really concerned about how things are going... It seems like Norway is already lost (I feel really sorry to say that), and I don't want to see the same situation all over Europe! I don't want to move to Asia or who knows elsewhere, in order to be able to live a healthy and NATURAL life!

What about you? What are you going to do about it?
    I would say what it is most likely about is regulating the natural material as they do drugs, mainly because the drug companies cannot control or make much of a profit from a "Natural Remedy".

Eventually they want everyone forced to use "Their Medicine" that way you are forced to pay them and enrich their back pocket.

The Funky 1970's SiFi Film THX 1138 is not to far from these peoples view of the future.

THX 1138

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast