Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This Board's Stance On Switzerland?

Aka GermanischerAdler Herefugol's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, November 13th, 2016 @ 07:06 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Ancestry
    British Isles, Germany, Norway
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Huginn ok Muninn View Post
    Quite right.. they are ethnically closer to Swabians than Austrians, and indeed the German part of Switzerland was part of the duchy of Swabia before Switzerland existed.
    Interesting, thanks for that post. I assumed that they'd be ethnically similar due to proximity, but it appears the Swiss are ethnically closer to the Swabians. I suppose that map is mostly of politics, though, and doesn't really give us an especially accurate genetic representation.

Mein Glaube ist die Liebe zu meinem Volk. Juthunge's Avatar
    Last Online
    4 Hours Ago @ 10:17 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordid-CM
    Religion of the Blood
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanischerAdler View Post
    Interesting, thanks for that post. I assumed that they'd be ethnically similar due to proximity, but it appears the Swiss are ethnically closer to the Swabians. I suppose that map is mostly of politics, though, and doesn't really give us an especially accurate genetic representation.
    Linguistically and ethnically the Swiss are definitely closer to the Swabians than to the Austrians. In the early Middle Ages groups of Alamannic settlers came from southwestern Germany to Switzerland, adding to the pre-Germanic Celto-Romanic population.

In Austria both the language and population is rather Bavarian derived, which of course also has a large Alamannic component in itself, together with many smaller Germanic and Celto-Romanic elements, to which later on added a Slavic element about whose importance I don't know much.
    An exception to this is the easternmost region of Austria, Vorarlberg. There an Alamannic element is predominant, both through ancient and medieval migration.
    And the day they sold us out, Our hearts grew cold
    'Cause we were never asked, No brother, we were told!
    What do they know of Europe, Who only Europe know?

Ancient DNA: List of All Studies analyzing DNA of Ancient Tribes and Ethnicities(post-2010)

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 15th, 2012 @ 04:57 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German Boer
    Ancestry
    German
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Transvaal Transvaal
    Single adult
    Occupation
    travel, technician
    Politics
    National sozialistisch
    Religion
    heidnisch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The Dutch (Frisians) and the Swiss (German) are the two tribes with most similarities, to me.
    Both pronounce the "G" glottiral, both are cheese producers, clever business men, both were prone to be influenced by Zwingli and Calvyn.
    Does any one know if they are related, or maybe have the same base stock in their ancestory from before the big european migration?

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, August 16th, 2019 @ 06:42 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thusnelda View Post
    Most German-Swiss people belong to the Alemannic tribe like the Badenser and Swabians in Germany.
    Dialect-wise in fact all Swiss speak Alemannic dialects with the exception of Samnaun, for a long time a functional enclave which was originally Rumantsch-speaking, but which dropped that idiom in favour of the Südbairisch dialect in neighbouring Tyrol. It is for this reason that the lexicon from Samnaun is usually also analysed when speaking about Tyrolese dialects.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorburn View Post
    In the referendum, whether Switzerland should join the EEA, for example, it was the Germans in Switzerland who prevented it, while there was a majority for it in the French cantons. It was the same picture in the referendum whether Switzerland should join the United Nations: the Germans voted with "Nay," the French voted with "Yes."
    Not to forget that the good population eastward (i.e. this side) of the famous Röstigraben voted overwhelmingly in favour of the minaret ban, whilst the dwellers in the Romandie voted mixed with a slight leaning against the minaret ban.

What it is about Swiss members and their tendency to all-too-rarely become Regulars that stay on for longer periods of time I don't know. Which means that until we get a prolific Swiss member again you'll have to do with me and my 1/16 of Swiss-German blood.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Freethinker "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago @ 12:45 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    Europid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    In a steady relationship
    Politics
    Reason, Freedom, Justice
    Religion
    Truth, Greatness, Beauty
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Huginn ok Muninn View Post
    Quite right.. they are ethnically closer to Swabians than Austrians, and indeed the German part of Switzerland was part of the duchy of Swabia before Switzerland existed.
    Quite right.

To do everyone justice, I'd reword this sentence, though, and say that the Germans in Switzerland, being Alemanni, have more in common with Swabians, being equally Alemanni, than with Bavarians, being ... Bavarians ... or rather Baiuvarii. While most Germans living within the borders of today's Austria are equally Baiuvarii, there is an Alemannic or Swabian minority in Western Austria, living predominantly in the province of Vorarlberg.

After WW1, in 1919, the Swabians in Vorarlberg held a referendum whether they would like to join Switzerland or remain with Austria. More than 80% of the people opted for Switzerland.

The attempts to form a union with Switzerland were eventually vetoed by the Allies (like the effort to found a German province Swabia composed of Vorarlberg and the Swabian parts of Baden, Wurttemberg and Bavaria). As so often in international politics, the right of peoples to self-determination proved to be a farce, applicable only if it suits the powerful.
    This is a placeholder for a signature.

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorburn View Post
    After WW1, in 1919, the Swabians in Vorarlberg held a referendum whether they would like to join Switzerland or remain with Austria. More than 80% of the people opted for Switzerland.
    ... but as it so turns out to be, no one really wants the Vorarlbergians, the Swiss neither, for which reason they still term the little province of Vorarlberg as "Kanton Übrig" (Canton Left-over) in some areas of Switzerland.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 21st, 2012 @ 10:41 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Prussian
    Subrace
    Faelid/Batlid
    Country
    United States United States
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Fascist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm Swiss German, I just put German as my ancestry because I believe that Germany should include the lands between the North Italian Border, East of Paris, and West of the Belarussian Border. Also, my family only went from Germany to Switzerland in the 1400s, and then to the United States.
    Ein Kampf, Ein Sieg! Fur Prussia!

Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Juthunge View Post

I agree with the rest of your post.
    What´s the matter with "Badenser"? Isn´t this the proper term for Badener people? "Badenser Bub", etc. Well, I know there´s some rivalry between Schwaben and Baden but is "Badenser" a derogatory Swabian term for the people of Baden?

German-Swiss, Badenser and Swabians belong to the same Alemannic tribe. Love each other!

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thusnelda View Post
    Well, I know there´s some rivalry between Schwaben and Baden but is "Badenser" a derogatory Swabian term for the people of Baden?
    It sort of is, as the correct term these days is Badener, and the Baden folk don't like it if they're called Badenser. It used to be a correct term derived from Latin badensis but has been deemed as pejorative and derogatory ever since the end of the Großherzugtum Baden.

One of the most striking examples of how Badenser is no longer an acceptable term to most folks from Baden was shown in 1954 when a member of the BW Landtag from Heilbronn used the term and was fired upon by a North-Badensian MP who mentioned he'll in return call him a "Heil-bronnser" (hail-pisser) in future.

German-Swiss, Badenser and Swabians belong to the same Alemannic tribe. Love each other!
    Host recht, olls "Gelbfiaßler".

Senior Administrator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Married
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Out of 26 Swiss cantons, only 5 don't have German as an official language: Ticino, Vaud, Neuchâtel, Geneva and Jura. The German presence in Switzerland is strong and relevant enough for Skadi to dedicate some space to this country. Skadi acknowledges and focuses on the German part of Switzerland and welcomes Swiss-Germans. Issues pertinent to it/them can be discussed in the section The German Countries, which is dedicated to other German(-speaking) countries (so also Austria, Liechtenstein and Luxembourg).

Skadi members hold various opinions as to the identity of Switzerland. Some believe it has gained enough history and right to call itself a nation, others believe it is an artificial nation and should disband and/or that the Swiss Germans should join Germany. See this poll for instance, Is Switzerland a Nation? Are the Swiss an Ethnic Group? Skadi itself has no particular stance regarding the above. It's a discussion platform, where everyone is free to hold their opinion.

My personal experience has been that the Swiss-Germans are more conservative while the French-Swiss are more "progressive", as Thorburn said. However, I haven't met Swiss-Germans that would enthusiastically join a German Reich. Germans are seen as somewhat foreign still. Swiss-Germans speak their own dialects in everyday life. Federalism has cultivated strong regional identities there, at times unfortunately in opposition to an all-German consciousness. Here are some threads on the German-Swiss relations:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast