United States United States
    Politics
    Ethnocentric
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Sons of Aryas

'Know, o prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars - Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyberborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom of the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west. Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet.'

-Robert E Howard

Ok, REH wrote fiction, not history, and Conan was suppose to be a sort of protocelt rather than Germanic but this bit of prose from his short story "The Phoenix on the Sword" has always fired my imagination. What do you think of the idea of racial progenitors or patriarchs? This is basically what the jews have in Abraham is it not? I read an article once on the idea of Odin as a racial progenitor but I am not well versed in such matters.

If this is the wrong place for this, and I am certian it is, please move it to a better suited section of the forum.

Edit: After giving this a quick scan I want to be clear-I am not talking about Conan as a racial progenitor but rather this 'Aryas' that Howard mentions.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, January 7th, 2012 @ 09:59 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Ancestry
    Heruskoz
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    California California
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Aspiring Author
    Politics
    Tycho Brahe Party
    Religion
    Psychonautics and Cosmic Law
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't find anything wrong with racial or cultural progenitors, except that they're entirely impossible to trace. Though I disagree with the perception of Aryans and Aryanism as a whole.

Last Online
    Tuesday, December 20th, 2011 @ 02:11 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norse/German
    Ancestry
    Sweden,Norway,Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Wisconsin Wisconsin
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Summed up in one word: Allfather

Odin is the Allfather. Technically, he is not only the king of the Gods but the father of human beings as well. Carl Jung wrote about how Wotan (odin) still survives within his people's genetic memory. Even to this day many psychologists agree/look up to Jung on many of this theories, which include this and also some stuff on trying to understand or decode dreams. He took lots of stuff from religion and beliefs and attempted to make them into science. That is of course if you believe in psychology.

Odin on the other hand is real and will always be real. He is the blood which flows through our veins, the fire which lights a spirit and a king who sired a dynasty.

Last Online
    Friday, August 3rd, 2012 @ 12:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    celto-germanic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magni View Post
    'Know, o prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars - Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyberborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom of the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west. Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet.'

-Robert E Howard

Ok, REH wrote fiction, not history, and Conan was suppose to be a sort of protocelt rather than Germanic but ...
    Conan's 'Cimmerian' or 'Kimmerian' (Greek: Κιμμέριοι, Kimmerioi) people could easily be taken for Pre-Germanics, as well as a Pre-Celtic macro-tribe, or even perhaps an intermediate, as yet undiverged Germano-Celtic ethnicity due to the implied distance in prehistory.

The historical record on these intriguing and enigmatic people (or peoples as the name may have been applied to differing people's over time often as an exonym) is equally ambiguous:

Descendants of the Cimmerians --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimmerians#Possible_offshoots

REH's writing was the start of my own & several other's when were young looking to an ancient, prehistoric nordic or at least nordish ancestral identity & gaining interest in the subject outside of fiction, instead of simply accepting the foreign non-European judeo-christian origin story grafted onto childhood by well intentioned family.

The Conan story sold well the notion, that far from having a 'barbarous' northern heritage being some sort of shame, being descended from the ancient-most northerners could be a fine thing as they and related red-headed & blond barbarians were depicted as both fierce and noble in equal measure.

As well, the world of Conan made presented a reality in which breeding mattered.

If I ever have children, rather than forbid them to read 'such unchristian stories', I will encourage them to read the books, and watch the movie (the Schwarzenegger one)