University lecturer
    Politics
    right
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Question Dr Phillipe J. Rushton's Research on Race

Is anyone else interrested in the research on race as done by Dr Phillipe J Rushton, as I understand from the University of Western Ontario? I read his articles and saw him on YOUTUBE. Thank you.

Last Online
    Monday, February 6th, 2012 @ 08:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I find his work very interesting. (especially the R-K line where he classified behavior and physical types).

I have his book "Race, Evolution and Behavior". He talks about quite a bit of things that other researches avoid- mainly behavioral and physical differences- between races. (some really strange differences that I never knew before as well)

He basically says that Asians are the most K, Africans are the most R, and
    Caucasians are in-between (but closer to K).

My only complaint is that he spends way too much time with averages and should instead spend more time discussing variability.

Last Online
    Sunday, February 20th, 2011 @ 09:14 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Victoria Victoria
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Omissions

Quote Originally Posted by Wynterwade View Post
    I find his work very interesting. (especially the R-K line where he classified behavior and physical types).

I have his book "Race, Evolution and Behavior". He talks about quite a bit of things that other researches avoid- mainly behavioral and physical differences- between races. (some really strange differences that I never knew before as well)

He basically says that Asians are the most K, Africans are the most r, and
    Caucasians are in-between (but closer to K).
    He strangely forgot and forgets Australian Aborigines - if you read Tim Flannery’s work in The Future Eaters and Ecology and Empire, you will see that Australian Aborigines in their extremely unpredictable environment should be far more r than even Africans. This is supported by their low cranial capacities which have been known since before Rushton’s time: Australian Aborigines average only about 1,210cc which is about 70cc less than Africans, 150cc less than Europeans, and 230cc less than Mongoloids. Most likely this figure is lower than that of the Aborigines’ original ancestors from Asia.

The problem is that data on Aboriginal embryology and other factors Rushton relates to this are tough to obtain. This is especially true of dizygotic twinning frequencies, since according to M.G. Bulmer twins would only have been retained under exceptionally good climatic conditions. Moreover, the 1920s and 1930s when data on dizygotic twinning frequencies were compiled was the driest period since 1885 in outback Australia so that it would have been unlikely Aboriginal communties would have kept twins and maybe not even reported them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynterwade View Post
    My only complaint is that he spends way too much time with averages and should instead spend more time discussing variability.
    I agree for a number of reasons. Most especially I have imagined that tests of comparative variability might provide evidence for or against the proposed mechanism for changes in intelligence. They could for instance show how strong selection for or against intelligence has been: if it has been strong, variability should logically be lower than if it has been weak since a larger range of IQs will have been weeded out.

Last Online
    Monday, February 6th, 2012 @ 08:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    for or against the proposed mechanism for changes in intelligence.
    What mechanism? (do you mean environmental differences between populations?).

I would actually assume that the main difference in intelligence is most probably one of the following- or all of the following...
    1) Neanderthal DNA- a small amount of genetic admixture with them could easily distribute beneficial genes throughout a population. Genes such as the Neanderthal large brains or large skulls. Some skull features of modern day Europeans are thought to have originated from admixture with Neanderthals (like the occipital bun- which I have)- also there's no telling what beneficial mental traits could have been past to us. (read the book 10,000 year evolution for examples how small amounts of admixture can dramatically affect a population overtime- such as the lactose tolerance gene.)
    2) Yes climate is probably a serious factor contributing to our intelligence. Africans have a much harder time seeking long term goals than Europeans (this example is from 10,000 year explosion). This is probably due to the climate forcing Europeans to save or die- during the harsh winters.
    3) Also, and this is very important, you have to take into account farming and animal husbandry, allowing people to avoid a nomadic lifestyle. These tight knit communities surely allowed people to come together in towns and compete- and I would bet that the smartest people had more kids than the less intelligent in a community like this. If you haven't read it- you should read the short 30 page book "Germania" by Tacitus to understand how northern European families valued the ideas of virginity, waiting until late to get married and 1 man for 1 woman- which leads to serious selection (which surely didn't happen in Africa- today some parts in Africa statistics show that about 65% of married men cheat on their wifes!)

They could for instance show how strong selection for or against intelligence has been: if it has been strong, variability should logically be lower than if it has been weak since a larger range of IQs will have been weeded out.
    Simply showing a wide distribution of IQ doesn't show little selection for IQ. And Likewise showing a little distribution of IQ doesn't show lots of selection for IQ. Take Africa for example, they have a small IQ and have had little selection for IQ compared to Europeans or East-Asians but the distribution is about the same Bell Curve shape in every group. You should read the book "The Bell Curve" by Murry.

A better indicator for IQ selection would be simply a higher average IQ value compared to archaic type humans; Africans and native Australians.

Also different populations developed different personalities- such as the cold, modest, attentive East Asians or the too friendly, aggressive, not very attentive Africans. So the difference in mental abilities is much deeper than reading and quantitative comprehension speed (which is all IQ tests).

The more advanced statistical book "G-Factor" by Arthur Jensen address these many mental differences and finds that they all (mental traits) closely follow the same trend as average IQ per population (Africans on bottom with Europeans in the middle and East-Asians on top)- and distribute in a similar way for every group just like the Bell Curve.