State
    Tennessee Tennessee
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Diversity in the Appalachian Mountains

This is something I've been wanting to do for a while now, I'm very interested in creating a piece going over the diversity in the Appalachian Mountains in the Southern U.S., my primary focus is the Cohee (I'll provide definition later in the post), with secondary focus on the mixed groups like Melungeons and such (since Melungeons are already receiving some attention elsewhere). Basically the Cohee are any of the following:

Cohee:
    Religion - Evangelical
    Presbyterian
    Baptist
    Calvinist/Swiss Lutheran and Reformed German
    Congregationalist was listed but that applies to New Englander's more than to Southrons.

Economics - Poor
    Source: Family sized farms
    Labor: Family and part time hire
    Cash Crop: Tobacco/Whiskey (I'll throw in trading as folks like mine were river traders for a while and herders)

Social Class: Working class/Blue Collar

Education: Home or none (in modern times it's rather poor county schools or home school)

Family:
    Patrilinear Clan

Culture: Folk based

Speech: Scotch-Irish; working class English dialect.

Family Origin: Ulster, Scotland, Northern England, Wales, Germany, in some instances Huguenot French.

Geographic Settlement: Appalachia
    For Haplogroups I've been browsing the Cumberland Gap project at FTDNA, here's a summary of what I saw:

Y-DNA:

DISCLAIMER: These results are highly variable as there are still plenty of opportunities for people to test, obviously until a great number of people test the outlook will change. I'm judging the density based on the spread of plots on the Google map provided on the Cumberland Gap YDNA page, with a special interest in R1b haplogroups I looked on the charts to find specific sublcades. For some reason the Google map drop down excluded some haplogroups, so if there's not a specific geographic place listed it is because I had to reference the spreasheet as opposed to the map.

Extremely High density of R1b subclades, mostly S116 clades and U106 clades all over the region, some good number have not deep clade tested so there's a lot of M269'ers.
    Extremely low density of A (only 2 plots)
    Low density of E (North Carolina and Virginia)
    Low density of E1b1b (mostly Kentucky and Georgia, only one plot in Tennessee)
    Extremely low density of F (one plot in Virginia)
    Low moderate density of G, similar numbers as E and E1b1b but more geographically isolated while E and E1b1b are more spread out, E1b1b is more geographically isolated than E*. (G is found mostly in North Carolina, Virginia and the Tennessee/Kentucky border.)
    Moderate-high density of I spread throughout the region, similar spread as R1b clades going up the entire mountain chain.
    Moderate-low density of J (mostly around North and South Carolina, Tennessee/Kentucky border, and Virginia).
    Moderate-Low density of Q, mostly in the West Virginia/Kentucky border.
    Extremely low density of T (only one plot in North Carolina).
    Extremely low density of B (only two plots)
    Extremely low density of C (only two plots)
    Extremely low density of F (only three plots)
    Extremely low density of N (only two plots)
    Extremely low density of O (only three plots)
    Moderate-high density of R1a.
    I will note that my observation cannot be perfect as I am only human with a limited patience, so if there are any obvious mistakes, or if you have any additions you wish to add please do so by replying in this thread.

I have yet to see much on Biogeographic ancestry so if anyone here is from Appalachia and wishes to disclose their ancestral percentiles as decreed by 23andMe, Population Finder, Eurogenes, Dodecad, McDonald, whatever feel free to share, citations will be given to those who share results from projects like Eurogenes, Dodecad, and McDonald as long as either of those analysis parties do not mind me including the results had by their labor. I can only speak for myself regarding Biogeographic ancestry as I personally have been tested (tested as generic Northwest European all around). Basically this is a compilation project as I have not the skill base or the patience to run analysis, my goal is to gather the results of others so that I can observe and draw conclusions based on what I see.

I have yet to look at mtDNA, I will do this sometime in the next week or so.
    Lineage migration - Hatfield, Yorkshire, England ->Stainforth, Yorkshire, England ->Whitgift, Yorkshire, England->Blacktoft, Yorkshire, England->Mecklenburg County, Virginia ->Rutherford County, North Carolina ->Overton County, Tennessee.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 27th, 2012 @ 03:56 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Tennessee Tennessee
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The non-European haplogroups included in the post I believe to be the result of either Melungeons, Amerinds, or Aframs who entered the project.

I wish some of these guys would have done Population Finder or 23andMe so I could see a BGA breakdown so I can get a ratio of Cohee (European derived) vs. mixed communities like Melungeons, Aframs, and the Amerinds.
    Lineage migration - Hatfield, Yorkshire, England ->Stainforth, Yorkshire, England ->Whitgift, Yorkshire, England->Blacktoft, Yorkshire, England->Mecklenburg County, Virginia ->Rutherford County, North Carolina ->Overton County, Tennessee.