Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Fox Tossing

Fox tossing
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fox tossing (German: Fuchsprellen) was a popular competitive blood sport in parts of Europe in the 17th and 18th centuries, which involved throwing live foxes and other animals high into the air.

Fox tossing would take place in an arena, usually either created by setting up a circle of canvas screens in the open or by using the courtyard of a castle or palace. Two people would stand six to seven and a half metres (20 to 25 feet) apart, holding the ends of a webbed or cord sling which was laid flat on the ground. An animal such as a fox would then be released from a cage or trap and driven through the arena, across the sling. As it crossed the sling the tossers pulled hard on the ends, throwing the animal high into the air. The highest throw would win the contest; expert tossers could achieve throws of as high as 7.5 m (24 ft). On occasion, several slings were laid in parallel, so that the animal would have to run the gauntlet of several teams of tossers.

The result was often fatal for the tossed animal. Augustus the Strong, the Elector of Saxony, held a famous tossing contest in Dresden at which 647 foxes, 533 hares, 34 badgers and 21 wildcats were tossed and killed. Augustus himself participated, reportedly demonstrating his strength by holding the end of his sling by just one finger, with two of the strongest men in his court on the other end. Other rulers also participated in the sport. The Swedish envoy Esaias Pufendorf, witnessing a fox-tossing contest held in Vienna in March 1672, noted in his diary his surprise at seeing the Holy Roman Emperor Leopold I enthusiastically joining the court dwarfs and boys in clubbing to death the injured animals; he commented that it was remarkable to see the emperor having "small boys and fools as comrades, [which] was to my eyes a little alien from the imperial gravity."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_tossing

The introductory paragraph is what really makes me laugh. I can just imagine a 17th century nobleman explaining the sport to the unitiated bystander:

Nobleman: So, you take a fox like so, then you toss him high into the air.
    Bystander:.............................. .and?
    Nobleman:........well, no, that's it....that's the game.

Last Online
    Monday, February 6th, 2012 @ 08:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    This reminds me of Squirrel fishing where you tie a nut on a fishing line- wait in a park- and when a Squirrel grabs the nut you yank him into the air. I actually saw some guys doing that at college.

Very barbaric stuff.

Last Online
    Sunday, June 17th, 2018 @ 06:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I know it's wrong, but the image of a squirrel flying through the air via a fishing pole... Hopefully the squirrels were uninjured.

Last Online
    Monday, February 6th, 2012 @ 08:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    At first I thought they were trying to catch the squirrels to eat them, but they said it was just for fun and that it didn't even hurt the squirrels.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    killing innocent animals for sport? Not my thing, I find it hard to believe it's a Germanic custom, sounds more Slavic, frankly.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, February 1st, 2019 @ 12:04 AM
    Ethnicity
    Old Prussian / English
    Ancestry
    Baltic Prussian, English, German
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Pommerania Pommerania
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    Anti-Globalist
    Religion
    Early pre-trinitarian Christiani
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest King View Post
    killing innocent animals for sport? Not my thing, I find it hard to believe it's a Germanic custom, sounds more Slavic, frankly.
    Bad, I agree, but even worst was the events the Tuetonic Knights used to organise for I belive English aristocracy, manhunts!

I read it in either "The vanished Kingdom" or "Iron Kingdom, the rise and fall of Prussia", something along the lines of that initially the Knights would maintain a distance between the Christian Prussians and any encroaching pagan tribes by destroying any attempts by the pagans to settle too close, but that it deteriated into an excuse for paid manhunt safaris.