Thread: Surnames Ending in -ing or -ink

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Monday, May 9th, 2016 @ 05:50 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German (7/16), Norvegian from Telemark (1/4), Irish (1/8), French (1/8), Flemish? (1/16)
    Subrace
    Alpine/Nordish/Faelid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Minnesota Minnesota
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    German supremacist
    Religion
    Holy Bible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Surnames Ending in -ing or -ink

Does anyone know what the ethnic origin is of surnames that have the -ing ending, such as Klapsing or Mössing? Is it Germanic? What is the meaning behind this suffix?

Some background information:

As I was researching my Westfalian ancestors through the parish records in Germany I found that a lot of them had surnames that ended in -ing or -ink. For example, Klapsing, Niessing, Rössing, and Mössing are the surnames of some of my ancestors to name a few.

I have also found this ending for surnames to be quite common in the Northwestern part of Germany (Westfalen), close to the Netherlands, which is the region in Germany where these ancestors were from.

So, someone with such a surname most likely is what ethnicity? does anyone know?

Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 02:37 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Overijssel Overijssel
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Lay back down
    Politics
    Blut & Boden
    Religion
    Not sure anymore
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Its Saxon in origin.

The ending -ink/-inck/-inc/--ing/-ingk means "belonging to", or "son of", or "descendant of". Usually used in combination with a first name.

Most commonly in the Eastern and Northern parts of the Netherlands (the Saxon Netherlands), In Germany in Lower-Saxony and Westphalia. and exported by migration elswhere.

Attachment shows my surname in Netherlands. ending on -ink.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Monday, May 9th, 2016 @ 05:50 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German (7/16), Norvegian from Telemark (1/4), Irish (1/8), French (1/8), Flemish? (1/16)
    Subrace
    Alpine/Nordish/Faelid
    Country
    State
    Minnesota Minnesota
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    German supremacist
    Religion
    Holy Bible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    O.o So my ancestors were probably Anglo Saxons then if they used such a naming pattern? They lived on the German side of the dark yellows on your map, in Westfalia, Prussia.

Last Online
    Monday, July 2nd, 2018 @ 08:18 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Netherlandish Czech
    Country
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not German, but Slavic

Prepare your self for a bit of a ride here. I've many surnames in my family tree with the "ink" suffix. My people came to the US to in the 1830s to Southern Sheyboygan County, Wisconsin with outliers going to Central Wisconsin and a good number remaining in New York the port of entry for nearly all. All originated in two small towns, Aalten and Wintersvyjk, Gelderland, Netherlands. The "ink" suffixes are not Germanic, but Slavic.

My source in this was Leonard Sweetman, Doctor of Divinity, Calvin College. He had participated in linguistic studies in the lower Rhine area immediately after WWII. The studies found the largest locus of Slavic words in Western Europe in this very small area of the Netherlands. This evidence was corroborated by the discovery in a museum archive of a reference in Neder Rine to the arival of Bohemians in the area. He said that they were Hussites who filtered into Western Europe in the early years (1530s) of the 16th Century. Unfortunately, though sharp at the time and writing a book about the participation of the Holland Michigan Dutch in the Civil War he couldn't recall the names of the articles or book and this, of course was before digitalized references. There is corroboration in more recent linguistic studies remarking on the existence of a sub-dialect of Neder Rine a tiny area of the Eastern Netherlands and this in a lecture it's translation to a uniquely accented Eastern Wisconsin lingo here.

I don't know any Czech linguists. I intended to find one during my retirement. I am a co-parishioner with a young women who grew up in what's now the Czech Republic. Her mother, also a non-native speaker of Czech, said the suffix "ink" to equate to "nik in Czech. She found a number of plausible cognates for names in my family tree. The first mention of an "ink" in Gelderland that I could find turned out to be an ancestor named Meerdinck, recorded in stadthouse records as buying up wild lands along the Rhine in the 1490s. Note here, names found in my family had many variants in the early 16th Century church birth records till they standardized over the centuries. In a reference tool, German Surname Map, "ink" shows overwhelmingly just across the Rhine from the area of Gelderland I mentioned with few and those scattered elsewhere. Unfortunately, there is no equivalent mapping tool for the Netherlands.

I don't know about the "ing". It is, I know, the ending sound of words found in the Nibelungen Saga as in Yingling, a very early Norse/Germanic clan name.

The Hussites were remarkable for many reasons. They anticipated Luther and were highly inventive. During the eight crusades against them they marched into battle singing in four part harmony. The women specialized in using flails to dismount horsemen thereafter dispatching them with stilettos. Gelderland is tiny, but earned the epitaph "a volcano" from the Spanish during the Dutch War of Independence. They, then referred to as Moravians, were encouraged to depart the Lower Rhine secretly by boat to be settled by the British along with Scots Irish in the American colonies primarily Pennsylvania. It could be said that they fought for freedom across Europe in the case of my family to arrive in America just in time to volunteer with their Irish neighbors in large numbers to serve in the Iron Brigade.
    I can get you the whole song and dance should you be interested. Please let me know how your research progress

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemmenes For This Useful Post: