Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Germanic Are Italians?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by boudicca View Post
    Some Italians are, there usually found in the Northern areas like Milan and Venice. Milan is full of tall beautiful women (It's the fashion capital of the world).
    Most of people in Milan are of southern italian origin. True northern italians can be found in the rural areas and in small cities like Bergamo, Alessandria, Verona, Udine etc...

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 14th, 2012 @ 05:57 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Germanic/Celtic
    Ancestry
    British Isles / Germany / Netherlands / Norway / France
    Subrace
    Borreby/CM
    Country
    United States United States
    Happily Married w/kids
    Occupation
    Professional
    Politics
    My own
    Religion
    Agnostic with Pagan leanings
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Northern Italians tend to have more Germanic features....taller, lighter skin, lighter hair and eyes as well.

My Husband is Northern Italian, Swedish, German, English, and Irish. He looks VERY fair. All of his kids are light as well.

I've been told the strongest Germanic/Celtic influence in Italy is the Northern Part.

SwissPeter
    Ostogoths, Franks and Lombards were germanic and account for most of the light hair/eyes in Italy today. But earlier during the Roman Empire there was much breeding between the native Italic tribes and their slaves, such as north africans, so the base population was quite dark. Ticino region has a large germanic influence and recent mixture with Germans. Italians hold 40% of the jobs in Ticino, because they work for lower wages than the Swiss, causing high unemployement in the region, But French/German part of Switzerland don't care about them because they are only 8% of the population, they just think they are a swarthy nuisance.
    Italian businesses come to Switzerland for lower taxes and less corrupt beaurocracy that is rife in their homeland. Italians don't seem to be able to look after themselves since the fall of the empire, even that was an overated and barbaric reign of terror, and just look at the state of them now, if they were not being propped up by the EU subsidies they would be on a similar level to the balkans, as would Spain,Portugal,Greece etc (all the med places) and even most of France. That is why they are all pro EU. Take away the funding provided by western Germany and southeast England and the whole infernal system would collapse, this United European States was set up to reward the lazy and corrupt at the expense of the hard work and sweat of the productive germanics.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by SwissPeter View Post
    if they were not being propped up by the EU subsidies they would be on a similar level to the balkans, as would Spain,Portugal,Greece etc (all the med places) and even most of France. That is why they are all pro EU. Take away the funding provided by western Germany and southeast England and the whole infernal system would collapse, this United European States was set up to reward the lazy and corrupt at the expense of the hard work and sweat of the productive germanics.
    Total bullshit. As you can see in this map, Italy is one of main subsiders of EU.

http://eagereyes.org/media/2010/EUfunding-small.jpg

Most italians are anti-euro and anti-EU. Trust me I am italian.

Last Online
    Saturday, October 15th, 2011 @ 12:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-New Zealander, Italian-New Zealander
    Ancestry
    English, Irish, Italian and Austrian
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Single adult
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've always wondered this too. I am also 25% Italian - though my family are from a tiny village in the mountains bordering Switzerland. Rumour in the family suggests that my great great grandfather was from Austria. Some members of my purely Italian family are blond and blue-eyed - I have always presumed that was from Germanic influence.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 06:57 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyAtkins View Post
    The surnames of the people there are also Germanic,names such as Kostner,Muller,etc being the norm rather than Italian sounding surnames.
    Kostner is an ill example for this, it is a Germanicised Ladin surname, much like let's say Senoner or Kompatscher; a longer list for this is here.

The road signs are German with Italian written underneath,i would say these people are Germanic and hold on to their customs,language,and way of life with a vengeance.
    Most road signs are Italian first, with German second; sometimes it is the other way round and in Ladin-majority villages the order is usually Ladin > German > Italian.

Some Italian names are beyond ridiculous. In the village of Brenner, right at the pass and unrightful border, you have a Via Giovanni Wolfgango Goethe; not to mention geonyms such as Monte Luigi for Linsberg, Monte Fumo for Rauchkogel or Moso for Moos.

That being said, between the wars much use of the German language was forbidden. German tuition was forbidden from 1923 onwards, the teachers that continued (like Josef Noldin) often arrested and executed. German Newspapers, with the exception of one state-controlled paper, were forbidden between 1923 and 1927 (Vatican intervention saw for re-allowance), from 1925 legal proceedings had to be in Italian, and...

...in 1927, it was prohibited by law to have German-language inscriptions on tombstones!
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Friday, December 8th, 2017 @ 06:04 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    Atlanto-CM Alpinid
    Country
    German Fraternity German Fraternity
    Taurus
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Politics
    Nationalsozialismus
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have a bit of italian blood. It is from the north, from a noble family of lombard ancestry, and I can trace the lineage 1500 back. The family has deep connections with austrian nobility. Yet, back to the topic, italians are not germanic, because germanic is a cultural/linguistic denomination, and italians are a latin culturaly. As for the blood, most northern italians have "germanic" blood, but mixed with regular italian blood.

Last Online
    Tuesday, June 19th, 2018 @ 03:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    German,Irish/Scottish/English,Italian, and Old Dutch/Swedish colonial bloodlines
    Ancestry
    Germany,Ireland/Scotland, and Italy
    Subrace
    Faelid + Nord Atlantid
    Country
    Youth
    Politics
    Political Anarchist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I am only 1/8th Italian but the side from the Southern part originally from the Central part were Blonde haired and blue eyed and I have no reason to know at all also for some reason there is always a rumor about Austrians in the family.

Last Online
    Wednesday, May 9th, 2012 @ 11:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    German
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Let's not confuse modern Italians with the Romans. The Romans may have become an advanced society and established one of the great empires in western civilization, they did so because they borrowed much from other cultures and relied heavily on foreign manpower to defend their territory. Roman society was extremely decadent and the rulers during the imperial period were almost universally perverts and psychopaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittmann View Post
    Although the Italians, overall, are nor Germanic, I cannot help but feel a deep respect for them, especially because of their advanced technology and culture during the Roman Empire, I very much like Italians.

Last Online
    Friday, December 9th, 2011 @ 04:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish + "American" (back to early colonial times)
    Ancestry
    Major: Sweden, England, Scotland, Holland, Minor: H. Germany, Austria, Ireland
    Country
    Ancient ways
    Religion
    personal Gods, one Father
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lombards settled down in Northern Italy, and some other tribes even went further south. It's funny how Italians are stereotypically short and swarthy, but some of the more famous professional wrestlers of the 20th century were large men of Italian ancestry. Hulk Hogan (Terrance Bollea), Bruno Sammartino, Angelo Poffo, etc. were pretty large men and had some Germanic features (esp. Hogan). Sammartino was an immigrant and sounded a lot like Arnold trying to speak English. It was far from the stereotypical Sicillian/NY accent. Another example of Northern Italians is the model/sex symbol Fabio. He also sounds more German/alpine than Sicillian. It's evident just from these famous examples that there is plenty of Germanic influence, both linguistically and genetically, in Italy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast