Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Proving Your Ancestry Accurately

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Monday, May 9th, 2016 @ 04:50 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German (7/16), Norvegian from Telemark (1/4), Irish (1/8), French (1/8), Flemish? (1/16)
    Subrace
    Alpine/Nordish/Faelid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Minnesota Minnesota
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    German supremacist
    Religion
    Holy Bible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Proving Your Ancestry Accurately

When tracing back the lineage of your ancestors in their European country of origin (i.e Germany, Sweden) , how can you prove that they were ethnically European and that their bloodline does not originate outside of Europe? For example, if you have ancestors from Germany, how do you ensure that they, as well as their parents, and their grandparents, g-grandparents and so on were ethnically of German blood and NOT jews, gypisies, muslims or other peoples of non-European origin? Are there any telltale signs to look for that would indicate one or the other?

Last Online
    Monday, February 6th, 2012 @ 08:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    I would like to know answers to this as well.

Here is how I see my ancestry. For example, most of my german ancestors are from very small towns and were probably farmers. And they had german sounding names. On ancestry dot com, I've been able to trace most lines back to around 1750 fairly easy but going back further has been a problem for me.

Maybe you have to travel to the towns or to the large city nearby and check the records yourself in person.

If only you knew how bad things really are.
    Last Online
    4 Hours Ago @ 02:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordid-CM
    Religion of the Blood
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    397 Posts
    Well, at that time there weren't really any foreigners of non-European origin around besides Jews and Gypsies, for sure not any Muslims besides those at the royal court. You can distinguish quite easily between Jews and Germans through the parish register of the church, provided they immigrated before the onset of the Jewish emancipation when a lot of Jews became Christian and adopted German names.
    It's harder with Gypsies I guess, since they were mostly Christian, but I don't know if they were even added into parish register since they were travelling all the time.
    And the day they sold us out, Our hearts grew cold
    'Cause we were never asked, No brother, we were told!
    What do they know of Europe, Who only Europe know?

Ancient DNA: List of All Studies analyzing DNA of Ancient Tribes and Ethnicities(post-2010)

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    MT-DNA and Y-DNA testing, they can show whether you belong to a non-European lineage or not.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, July 1st, 2022 @ 10:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    516 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest King View Post
    MT-DNA and Y-DNA testing, they can show whether you belong to a non-European lineage or not.
    That only shows two lines of descent. Each generation you go back in your family tree the number of ancestoral lines doubles. Mt-DNA & Y-DNA only account for 2 of 64 ancestoral lines going back 5 generations, 2 of 1024 ancestoral lines going back to the 10th generation.
    'Let's Go Brandon!'

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Monday, May 9th, 2016 @ 04:50 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German (7/16), Norvegian from Telemark (1/4), Irish (1/8), French (1/8), Flemish? (1/16)
    Subrace
    Alpine/Nordish/Faelid
    Country
    State
    Minnesota Minnesota
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    German supremacist
    Religion
    Holy Bible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynterwade View Post

Here is how I see my ancestry. For example, most of my german ancestors are from very small towns and were probably farmers. And they had german sounding names. On ancestry dot com, I've been able to trace most lines back to around 1750 fairly easy but going back further has been a problem for me.

For my genealogy, I have had very much success with the microfilmed parish records from the LDS Church. Using this method, I was able to trace my family into the 1600's. Didn't have much luck with Ancestry.com, though.

My German ancestors also were farmers (Ackermann) who lived in small towns, in both the old and the new country.

On ancestry dot com, I've been able to trace most lines back to around 1750 fairly easy but going back further has been a problem for me.
    If you know the town where your ancestors lived and their religion, then I would highly recommend checking the microfilmed parish records. This should help trace your lineage back further. Most churches in Germany kept records well into the 1600's.

Maybe you have to travel to the towns or to the large city nearby and check the records yourself in person.
    With the help of the LDS church, you certainly don't have to! They have microfilmed parish records from various churches around the world which include births, marriages and deaths, and these parish records go well into the 1600's for most parishes. They can be viewed at one of the Family History Center locations, and chances there's one within 50 miles of your location (first you have to order it from the Family History Library, though).

However, I do think there is something specially rewarding about traveling to the city where your ancestor lived that you don't get with researching other ways.

It may not be practical method to go overseas to to research most of the time, but I think it would be very rewarding to visit our ancestral town someday.

If only you knew how bad things really are.
    Last Online
    4 Hours Ago @ 02:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordid-CM
    Religion of the Blood
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    397 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wallflower View Post

If you know the town where your ancestors lived and their religion, then I would highly recommend checking the microfilmed parish records. This should help trace your lineage back further. Most churches in Germany kept records well into the 1600's.

In fact they kept them even longer, but most were sadly destroyed in the Thirty Years War, but if you're lucky you could find even older ones.
    And the day they sold us out, Our hearts grew cold
    'Cause we were never asked, No brother, we were told!
    What do they know of Europe, Who only Europe know?

Ancient DNA: List of All Studies analyzing DNA of Ancient Tribes and Ethnicities(post-2010)

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Thursday, May 3rd, 2012 @ 09:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly Yorkshire
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    To know things like that, you need to know your ancestral nations intimately. You need to understand the ethnic history of the regions your ancestors were from, the ethnic implications of their surnames etc. You need to understand whether their surnames were regional or not. You then need to look into the naming traditions of Jews in terms of how they Anglicised or Germanised their names. You can quite easily find out whether they were baptised or not and whether they and their families were sedentary, respectively ruling out Jew or Romani heritage. If they have what might be a Jew name, e.g. Abraham, then look at the names of their siblings. If their siblings have English or German names, then the odd Hebrew name doesn't mean anything. If ALL their siblings have Hebrew names atypical of ethnic Germans or English in that time period (i.e. not common Hebrew names like Matthew), then you may have a Jewish ancestor, but still not necessarily. You should just research the ancestry of that person in more depth.

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 25th, 2012 @ 02:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Danish
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid w/ Atlantonordoid inf
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Conservative
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest King View Post
    Autosomal DNA testing can give you a wider range than just your maternal and paternal lineage. It can give you a breakdown of your genetic background and tell you what percent European you are, what percent African, Asian, etc. It will also tell you which population you match most. So if you're 100% European, and want to know where in Europe most of your ancestry comes from, it will be able to narrow it down to a specific population (English, German, Spanish, etc). But it is expensive. 23 and me's ancestry test is $400!!!

Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Last Online
    Friday, March 25th, 2016 @ 05:03 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    nordic/germanic and celtic
    Ancestry
    Nor,German,Eir,English,
    Country
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Youth in Crisis Support
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's expensive but well worth saving up for IMO. it's one of my goals. I have such a passion for my ancestors and their lineage.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast