tribalist
    Religion
    asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Blue Vikings

interesting bit of history here. often we see new ideas being thrown in with a presumed ancient thought process.

sinse my journey on the asatru paths began,ive run across many different types of heathens. some racist,some not,but in a large part,either way,uninformed.

there was a topic of discussion that came up in our last pubmoot,about an old viking movie from the 60's i believe,in which one of the norse brigands,was african.

the new person,commented on how rediculous it was,and stated ''our ancestors had no black vikings,thats crazy''.
    this actually made me smirk,and i very politely explained the following,to clear up the matter.

''black vikings'' were not black,they were black,or very dark haired vikings,most of whim were southern european,mediterranian,or north aftican descent.
    vikings of southern african descent,were known as ''blue vikings'' because their skin tone was soo dark,that they had blueish blotches in the skin.

our ancient ancestors did not see race as we do,they only saw culture,and according to them,culture and loyalty to eachother,the folk,the community and the gods,defined a person.

there were in fact,many ''black'' and '' blue'' vikings.
    they became vikings 1 of 2 ways.
    1 either they were slaves,and freed,and remained
    or 2,they were fostered into the war band.

in either case,the individual accepted germanic culture,above any other.
    the completion of this process,resulted in the adoption of that person,into the tribe.........much as loki of the jotuns,was fostered by odin,and accepted into the aesir tribe eventually. another example is aegir,also a giant,and friend of the gods,accepted amongst them,and granted soul reign over the ocean,with no god or godess to challenge his rule over that element.

when our ancestors encountered other peoples,especially ones with set warrior cultures,they were more curious than anything,and depending on the circumstance,they did take on men of other cultures,into their own,and accepted them as their men.

Germania incognita
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Pisces
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts
    My ancestors clearly differented men from other races, for example were black people called "blĺmenn". We had the same word for blue and black back then. A other theory is that the tribes in north-africa dressed in blue clothes and therefor were called blue men. In rigstula we can read about different social standings; trell (thrall), karl (farmer) and jarl(earl).

I think the movie you refer to is "The Vikings", I dont remember seeing a black viking there. Could it have been a slave? My ancestors didnt take black slaves afaik. About Ćgir being the only god of the ocean, there were a few more, I like Njord very much. But I would have loved to taste Ćgirs beer.

"Make strong old dreams lest our world lose heart." -Ezra Pound

Support Skadi forum

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Thursday, May 3rd, 2012 @ 09:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly Yorkshire
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Terribly written post, almost seems like afrocentrist drivel, but I have heard of the 'blue men'. I'm not sure what standing they had in Viking society or what their numbers were, though. Certainly the genetic studies I've seen on Scandinavian countries don't indicate a significant presence, especially since what little African DNA is found in Northern Europe is almost exclusively maternal.

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Thursday, January 6th, 2011 @ 12:57 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Belgium, Germany, Norway, Scottland, Romania, Italy
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New Jersey New Jersey
    Single adult
    Occupation
    firefighter
    Politics
    tribalist
    Religion
    asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i realy dont know the movies name,but the viking clearly wasnt a slave,he was dressed like the other guys,had a horned helmet,and armor on,and was hugging and drinking with the other vikings.

also...njord was always a grey area for me. i know hes god of golden shores,but ive never been told,or never saw it specifically written that he is a sea god. ide imagine that his nature as a mediator between the aesir and vanir,probably signifies his mediation between the sea and the land it always meets.

when i think of a lighthouse,or a beacon,guiding sailors safely to the shore,from aegirs ocean,i think of njord.

hmm afrocentrist!? i think not. if you knew me,youde know that im the furthest thing from afrocentrist (i am still fuming about marvel casting heimdal as african). im just bringing to light a larger point that the racism that exists today,and is forced onto many of us within germanic heathenry,isnt the same,or even similar,in ideology to how our ancestors judged other cultures.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, March 12th, 2022 @ 07:33 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    721 Posts
    I do remember that korny movie, it starred Lee Majors( the six million dollar man).

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Vikings were on mission to find and rescue their father the Viking king. Yes there was a negroe in the movie.

The Norseman

Any movie that has Vikings wearing horned helmets can not be taken serious.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly Yorkshire
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thornheim View Post
    hmm afrocentrist!? i think not. if you knew me,youde know that im the furthest thing from afrocentrist (i am still fuming about marvel casting heimdal as african). im just bringing to light a larger point that the racism that exists today,and is forced onto many of us within germanic heathenry,isnt the same,or even similar,in ideology to how our ancestors judged other cultures.
    One thing that afrocentrists like to do is to exaggerate the cultural importance and numerical presence of Africans in historical Europe -- firstly, to try and take credit for said cultures, and second to make Europeans believe that they have significant inferior race ancestry, when in fact they have little to none.

Considering you stressed that there were many 'blue men', with absolutely no figures or evidence cited whatsoever, suggests to me your intention was the second reason I stated.

Last Online
    Friday, February 24th, 2012 @ 12:27 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Isles
    Subrace
    Pred. Atlantid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamar Fox View Post
    One thing that afrocentrists like to do is to exaggerate the cultural importance and numerical presence of Africans in historical Europe --

EDIT: I spotted that magazine in WHSmith yesterday whilst looking for this weeks New Scientist to check out their 9 page spread on the origins of morality, I didn't flick through the magazine, just had a little giggle at the absurdity of it, none the less whilst looking for the above image I had a browse of their website and it's seriously, seriously frustrating. Offensive, infact.

So who were the early Britons? The earliest Roman historians did not ignore the many who had settled on this island: for example, Tacitus wrote of the “dark complexion of the Silures or Black Celts and [their] unusually curly hair”. According to Herodotus, the ancestors of the Picts (in the north of the island) were a regiment of the African army of the Egyptian king, Sesostris II (1980-1935BC), who had attempted to conquer West Asia.
    Lolwut?

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly Yorkshire
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenwulf View Post

EDIT: I spotted that magazine in WHSmith yesterday whilst looking for this weeks New Scientist to check out their 9 page spread on the origins of morality, I didn't flick through the magazine, just had a little giggle at the absurdity of it, none the less whilst looking for the above image I had a browse of their website and it's seriously, seriously frustrating. Offensive, infact.

Lolwut?
    Wow. That's up there with some of the more ridiculous claims I've seen online. I had no idea they actually published their ideas in magazines stocked in respectable stores. I've actually seen on some afrocentrist sites that the silures were a black tribe, and that Scotland and Ireland (and Japan, actually) were ruled by African kings. Apparently the Romans and the Danes who settled in England were primarily black too. In fact, I don't think afrocentrists accept that white people have ever been in Britain.

Last Online
    Wednesday, June 27th, 2012 @ 08:58 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    England England
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    The only black vikings i have ever heard of are the ones tha play for the minessota vikings......i have never heard such tripe before.

I have heard of vikings mercenarys as far away as Turkey,but not the other way round.

http://virtualnothingness.wordpress....f-hagia-sofia/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast