Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Weaponology : Spetsnaz

Weaponology.

Russian special purpose regiments or Spetsnaz, Specnaz (Russian: Войска специального назначения, (спецназ) tr: Voyska spetsialnogo naznacheniya, pronounced [spʲetsnas]) is a general term for "special forces" in Russian, literally "special purpose".

These Russian special forces can specifically refer to any elite or special purpose units under subordination of the Federal Security Service (FSB) or Internal Troops of Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs, and the units controlled by the military intelligence service GRU.

In the Armed Forces, spetsnaz is a term mainly used in connection with GRU-controlled COMINT, ELINT and radio-surveillance units. Spetsnaz carry out reconnaissance and social warfare missions in "peacetime" as well as in war.

According to Vladimir Rezun, a GRU defector who used the pseudonym "Viktor Suvorov", there were 20 Spetsnaz brigades plus 41 separate companies. Thus, total strength of Spetsnaz forces was around 30,000 troops at the time, their numbers are unknown today.

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society."

~Aristotle

Aka Devadatta
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 02:00 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 05:32 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Ancestry
    German-American and proud
    Subrace
    Alpinid-Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Last Online
    Monday, July 18th, 2011 @ 10:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English, Irish, German, Swiss, Austrian
    Country
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Engineer
    Politics
    Pragmatic Pluralist
    Religion
    Christian Deist, Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Spec. Ops

Every Nation in the World has these Special Force, Special Operations units. The Russians call them the "Spetsnaz". What else is new?

Last Online
    Monday, May 27th, 2019 @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wittwer View Post
    Every Nation in the World has these Special Force, Special Operations units. The Russians call them the "Spetsnaz". What else is new?
    I liked the video i personally learned one thing or two.

Some of you don't liked this "Spetsnaz" thread because you don't like Russians.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society."

~Aristotle

Last Online
    Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011 @ 05:00 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Swedish/Prussian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Nationalsozialismus
    Religion
    Germania
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Well, you're Amerikwan. What would you know of Russians? Asiatic beasts the lot of them.

Last Online
    Wednesday, March 20th, 2019 @ 10:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Prussian X Anglo/Celt
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Tasmania Tasmania
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Back to Boilermaker/weldering
    Politics
    not the Greens
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I can respect Russians....but i dont like them out side of their country

and as for the video's they are little more than propaganda

Nothing there that the SAS or SASR in Aus would get training for
    Tasmanian twice the heads!!.......twice the intelligence!?

Last Online
    Monday, August 6th, 2012 @ 07:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    German/Irish
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Computer CAD/ Civil
    Politics
    Libertarian/Conservative
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
    I liked the video i personally learned one thing or two.

Some of you don't liked this "Spetsnaz" thread because you don't like Russians.
    Well as an American, I really don't have anything against Russians per-say, but the USSR was for sure a pain in the ass for Americans for quite some time. And I will say they way outstripped any threat Germany offered.

That being said, I do like their small arms, and that especially in the case of Assault Rifles such as the AK-47 compared to the AR-15/M-16 was for the most part a better gun. The american AR really never served our troops very well and got plenty of them killed in Vietnam.

But I have my own theory as to why the US government would release a fragile, untested and un-perfected weapon into Vietnam.

Last Online
    Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 @ 11:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    German American
    Ancestry
    Germany / Holland
    Country
    State
    Kansas Kansas
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EQ Fighter View Post
    Well as an American, I really don't have anything against Russians per-say, but the USSR was for sure a pain in the ass for Americans for quite some time. And I will say they way outstripped any threat Germany offered.

That being said, I do like their small arms, and that especially in the case of Assault Rifles such as the AK-47 compared to the AR-15/M-16 was for the most part a better gun. The american AR really never served our troops very well and got plenty of them killed in Vietnam.

But I have my own theory as to why the US government would release a fragile, untested and un-perfected weapon into Vietnam.
    1. The Russians make very durable small arms. They are mechanically sound and typically run without as much maintenance.

2. I would disagree about the M16/AR15 platform not serving us well. I have used both (the AK and AR/M16) and prefer the AR in most tactical scenerios. Many countries throughout the world have fielded the AR and continue to do so today.

The failures of the M16 in Vietnam were due to two things: First, the Army told the troops they didn't need to be cleaned and did not even bother to issue cleaning kits. Second, the wrong propellant was used in the cartridge cases causing fouling...JAMS.

3. The 7.62x39 cartridge is a good round up close;even better than the 5.56mm. Not so much further out. Which is why the Russians went to the 5.45mm round, because they knew overall it was better. Nothing like lobbing a low-velocity, rainbow arched round at someone at long distances....

4. Time to bust a myth. It is said the AK does not need to be maintained and never fails. I haver personally had one fail me, so I know it isn't true.

5. Range. Maximum practical range on point targets for the AKM(47) is 200 meters. I call this minute of torso at 200 meters. The M16A2/AR15 is 550 meters on point targets. I have personally engaged and hit point targets at 500 meters with the AR WITH IRON SIGHTS, so it is true.

Accuracy is the AR's strongsuit. If you keep it maintained it will outrange an AK all day long. The ergonomics on the AK are lacking in comparison, and the last thing on the AK that irritates me is the lack of a bolt slide stop. Nothing like a click when you need a boom....

Last Online
    Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 @ 11:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    German American
    Ancestry
    Germany / Holland
    Country
    State
    Kansas Kansas
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    After much research on the subject, and speaking to various family members from and living in the Fatherland...the Russians are for the most part, trash. I can back this up by my exposure to them while in the military.

Also, after the Russians systematically raped over 4 million German women at the end of WWII, it kind of makes things clearer. Rape, murder, mutilation of our women and children..... Then you compound that with all of the German men sent into slave labor in mines for the Russians, never to be heard of again, the crystal gets clearer. My grand-father-in-law was kept as a POW/slave for 10 years working in a Russian coal mine. We have no love for the sorry SOBs.

I will say there is a lot to learn by studying the enemy. I read a book called, 'Spetsnaz, The Inside Story of the Soviet Special Forces' written by "Victor Suvorov". It was very informative. He went so far as to confirm the Soviet intentions to attack Germany during WWII, well before Hittler initiated Operation Barbosa.

There is only one thing I have in common with the Russian trash. That would be an appreciation of the CZ-75 pistol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast