Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    My experience has been rather that men are better at Math and exact sciences in general, while females prefer Humanities. I could count the males back in uni on the fingers of one hand.

However it's also true that females can be good imitators, well, at least in my case it's been proved to be true and quite useful in life, at that. I work with computers at the moment for example, despite having my higher studies and thus better experience in Humanist subjects. I had to learn some new things on the way, but did pretty okay.

Something I find interesting is how many of my male friends view language learning: they focus on rules and patterns, i.e. why does one say it like this, the certain grammatical rule and structure comes in their head; while I put words together just cause I find that it sounds good/logical, but frankly sometimes I have no idea why. Thus I don't think gender segregated classes would be such a bad idea.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    What is the purpose of these kinds of threads? To start arguments? To create conflict between men and women? I don't see the point.
    No, it's to explore gender roles and matters concerning the sexes. Last time I checked that's what this forum was for.

I'm not a misogynist self-hating female, if that's what you're insinuating. But I must say that people who get paranoid about any gender difference discussion as a war between the sexes are as hopeless as those who despise the opposite gender...

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 03:05 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany, Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeternitas View Post
    Something I find interesting is how many of my male friends view language learning: they focus on rules and patterns, i.e. why does one say it like this, the certain grammatical rule and structure comes in their head; while I put words together just cause I find that it sounds good/logical, but frankly sometimes I have no idea why. Thus I don't think gender segregated classes would be such a bad idea.
    I am trying to learn German at the moment and I do indeed look for the structure/pattern! I guess it seems males tend to like to know the workings/mechanics of things.

My father teachers psychology (meaning one of the thing he teaches is how men and women's brains work differently) and one of the things he is always complaining about is how the female teachers greatly outnumber the males.

English class is usually dominated by female teachers; I hated English class since I was able to understand the pattern of words/grammar and didn't understand why we had to do so many worksheets and other busy work to 'engrain it into our minds'. Of course, kids these days can barely read or write (thanks TV and text messaging!) so they really need to teach kids the basics, as they aren't able to understand anything above the basics!

Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    No, it's to explore gender roles and matters concerning the sexes. Last time I checked that's what this forum was for.

I'm not a misogynist self-hating female, if that's what you're insinuating. But I must say that people who get paranoid about any gender difference discussion as a war between the sexes are as hopeless as those who despise the opposite gender...
    Yes, it is quite good that we are able to discuss the sciences on this forum without having them be cloaked (or even not discussed at all) due to PC.

Senior Administrator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Married
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NorseWarrior View Post
    I am trying to learn German at the moment and I do indeed look for the structure/pattern! I guess it seems males tend to like to know the workings/mechanics of things.
    I actually did this too, but only with one language, Latin. It was probably cause I didn't have exercise/experience speaking it, being that it's pretty much a "dead" language and besides maybe a few academics and ultrageeks, I don't think anyone actively speaks it...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12