Religion
    Norse Shamanism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Greetings!

Hello!

I am a writer, currently working on a trilogy entitled 'Conspiracy of Ravens'; of which I am a little over 150,000 words through at present. Target date to publish being 1/5/2011. The book is set in the 15th century and is an unusual tale about a strange Welsh derwydd family and their forced journey to the mystic East and lucidly full of magick (the right kind!), ritual, and is painstakingly historically, symbolically and culturally accurate (including a Swedish alchemist/physician mentor, shapeshifting, remote viewing, verbal, astral and material projection, and a child that talks to the dead). It contains everything in detail from sacred geometry to African voodoo (Zeferino's tale)!

I will update the status of it, but currently 1/3 of the way through book 2/3. Can email completed sections of my work upon request for review.

I am also an artist and plan a career as a silversmith. I am just hoping that my book will sell enough in order that I can afford to set myself up with my own workshop!

About Myself:

I LOVE facts and being accurate to the highest degree of sentient rational probability. I research from the glorious internet, personal experience and my own ever growing library comprising over 300 books ranging from topics such as neuroanatomy, biophysics, genetics, mathematics and quantum/astro physics to world mythology, megaliths, chinese history, medieval architecture, philosophy such as Sartre and Plato and sacred geometry.

Archetypes:

Pantheon: Principally and fundamentally Odin, but the Morrigan, Mercury/Hermes, Kali, Bran the blessed are also significant influences.

Animals: The raven, the serpent

Structures: Spirals, pyamids, fractals, acute angles

Numbers: 9 (81, 729, 531441 etc...), 5 (as in 23), Phi and Pi

Element: Air and Aether

Trees: Ash/Nuin/Askr/specific:Yggdrasil (Fraxinus excelsior) Oak/Duir/Eik (Quercus Rober), Yew/Yr/Idad (Taxus Baccata), Rowan/Luis/Raun (Sorbus Aucuparia)

Gems: Emerald (Be3Al2(SiO3)6), aquamarine (same principle beryl structure as emerald, but coloured by trace copper rather than emerald's chromium), black opal (SiO2·nH2O), star sapphire (Al2O3 with asterism effect) -yes I see the periodic table of elements and molecular structures as archetypal too!

My Spiritual ID card:

My parents have always had pagan leanings and took me to ancient places as a child. These places were instantaneously special to me. I live in walking distance of Men-an-tol and Lanyon quoit, and not far from the Merry Maidens and Boscawen-un and other megalithic sites. The ancient, worn granite batholiths give the countryside here a very rugged beauty and the coastline is dramatic.
    I have Welsh and Irish lineage, so I believe it was maybe somewhat genetic and wholly natural my passion for the landscape, ancient sites, paganism and my truth.

I was fully initiated under the great unblinking eye of the mystery into the Norse tradition/shamanism (summer solstice 2000, Glastonbury/Stonehenge), quite simply because Odin chose me for some reason at age 14, although I very closely identify with the Celtic Derwydd tradition, particularly from a genetic perspective; my animal archetype, of course, being the shapeshifting raven and messenger of the void.
    I embrace multifarious world mystery traditions and my long time best friend and soul sister is Wiccan.

I have a distinctly Jungian/quantum philosophical perspective on the mechanics of magick, practise ritual and sympathetic magick, use archetypal healing methods, runes, tarot, oghams, I-ching as well as meditative methods.

I have my own theory on the mechanics of things, based on the spiral, harmonics, interactions of +-, gravity (wow black holes are amazing!!) and can keep anyone up till 6am discussing it! or else you can look at my hugely unfinished website http://www.excogitant.net/spiral.htm

I am a natural priestess/kindred spirit of Odin (not a worshipper/devotee might I add); myself having only one eye (not my own choosing!! but I have a positive attitude about it and percive it as something deeply spiritual rather than a disability- and yes it is my left that is void). I also have two pet ravens called Huginn and Munnin (Joke ;D but I do have a siamese cat!).

I have a wicked sense of humour and I love walks in rural, beautiful and ancient places; travel, dancing, art, interior and exterior design, ritual, culture, art, science, nature, research, philosophy, music (very eclectic), history and pretty much most other things. I love facts, experience, symbolism and information.

Education/work:
    After I finished my A-levels, I went to study architecture. I failed an interview at Cambridge University which I worked hard to get into, so went to study at Canterbury; but essentially, after some time realized that it was not my path. So some events happened. I did not complete the course; later studying bio-chemistry, and although I thoroughly enjoyed it and obtained good grades, yet again it was not for me.
    My favorite work experience was as a sales assistant to a gem dealer. That was truly interesting work and I did a lot of travelling and meeting people.

Oh one small detail. I don't drive (the only real annoyance of having one eye lol well besides being unable to use 3D glasses and see magic eye books -oh the irony- and catch objects deliberately hurled at an awkward angle towards me!) yes it keeps me fit but I'd rather have my own Sleipnir!

Germania incognita
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Welcome to Skadi, Xcogitant.
    Since you are from Wales and Ireland, how did you get into norse shamanism? Your homepage is very messy Hope you enjoy the forum

"Make strong old dreams lest our world lose heart." -Ezra Pound

Support Skadi forum

Last Online
    Monday, August 10th, 2020 @ 02:00 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Nordish Preservationist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Welcome

Last Online
    Friday, February 24th, 2012 @ 12:27 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Isles
    Subrace
    Pred. Atlantid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Welcome

Considering you're Hiberno-Cymry, what drawn you to living in Cornwall? Many in England have some degree of wider British Isles heritage, but not so often does it comprise totality. Also, what is it that drawn you to Norse Shamanism over the aspects of such evident in both Brythonic and Gaelic cultures, and in regards to Norse Shamanism, has your perspective Anglicised at all considering your being a resident of England but not being a practitioner of Anglo-Saxon Shamanic practice, both of which being to some extent interchangeable?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to add - good luck with your novel! I would love to read what you have so far

Last Online
    Monday, November 8th, 2010 @ 08:43 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German/Welsh/Scottish
    Ancestry
    Germany(Prussia)/Wales/Scotland
    Subrace
    hallstatt nordic
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Right
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Welcome to the forums!

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, October 10th, 2010 @ 01:47 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ancestry
    Wales, Ireland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    England England
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Writer
    Politics
    Utopist
    Religion
    Norse Shamanism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks all

I moved to Cornwall at an early age (5) from the Welsh borders because my father's work as a special needs teacher led him to take up a job in Truro. Cornwall is also a 'Celtic' region.

As for the Norse path, I did not choose it; rather it chose me. I was fascinated by mythology as a child, and drawn specifically to the runes and ultimately to Odin. I just felt that I had a natural affinity with Norse archetypes, and the more that I read, the deeper it became for me, and by my late teenage years, I was getting very involved with deep personal exploration and ultimately archetypes and how things work. The 'occult' as it were is just wholly natural to me. I love ritual, symbolism and subtlty. and my family, well my mother's side at the least (father's side are almost militant Catholics) have always had tendancies towards natural 'magick'; reading tea leaves, talking to dead family members and the like.

Honestly don't ask me why.

Genetically I expect that druidry would be the most logical path for me to follow; but for some reason the path set out in front of me happened to be Nordic. I have had visions and very lucid -and sometimes very physical and even traumatic experiences; I cannot really express, I guess I have just translated a majority of it into the books that I am currently working on.
    From a more rational, psycho analytical perspective, I think maybe the most pertinent connection for me, well aside from the very close connection with the raven archetype which can be interpreted equally as Celtic, has a lot to do with the fact that my left eye is blind/void, as well as being particularly interested in 'magick' and fundamentally being an intellectual type with an insatiable appetite for knowledge!
    Other than that I do wish that I knew exactly why I was drawn to Norse Shamanism; but I have now gone quite a way into that path and it has become an inseperable part of me.
    All paths flow from and lead back to the same place eventually and European ancestors essentially diasporadically shared or made contact/merged with the same shamanic proto mythological faith at some point.

Odin's very origin is mysterious and somewhat conjectural from a scholarly perspective, as he appears to be a later addition to the pantheon, from what I have read the twins Freyja and Freyr were the original fertility deities pertaining to a more ancient proto-nordic belief system, Skadi being another older member. Odin could have had potential origins as an migrant king from Troy according to references, the most obvious being Snorri Sturluson (1129 - 1241). He also has moot equivalents in other European pantheons, most notably Mercury/Hermes and Lugh.

But from my perspective, it is the archetypal qualities and symbolism as well as the stories themselves and the cultural appeal that drew me in.

I like to get to the essence of things.

I do not like modern interpretations of things essentially what my best friend and I refer to collectively as 'Sabrina the Teenage witch' literature in particular. Likewise, 'New Age' projections of ancient paths just seem too idealized and romanticized. I like things to be quite real, raw and primordial. I do not so much want to go into events in my life at this particular juncture, but for me life has never ever been quite 'ordinary'.

My heritage is like this:

Mother's mother North Wales (Conwy). Mother's father > North Wales (Conwy) a note here: the family goes right back here very, very far. I believe that the gates of Conwy castle originated from my mother's father's side of the family's foundry.

Father's mother Ireland (Co. Kerry) Father's father (Mongrel I guess, origin unknown. He was 5'10" with blonde hair, and almost oriental looking almond shaped blue eyes which have given a distinct look to the family including myself).

Genetically, I suppose that I am mostly Celtic; but Celt is a huge umbrella term comprising of quite a number of sub-races and cultural heritages spanning hundreds if not thousands of years of invasions. Personally, I have extremely pale skin, very light grey-blue eye colour and brown hair; I really ought to get a picture of myself up here!

I am interested in learning so much more here and getting involved with discussion

I will fix up my page now that I arrived

Last Online
    Friday, February 24th, 2012 @ 12:27 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Isles
    Subrace
    Pred. Atlantid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    An interesting post. I'm currently responding from my phone and so will not be able to go into the sort of detail I would like to, none the less, I'll say so much as I do not believe Odin or Thor or anything else of the Aesir to have arrived in the North from Troy or India or whatever else that has been stated in the classical sources, sources I believe to be valuable however skewed significantly by a multitude of factors weighted on the culturo-religious trends of the time in which they were written, further, by the environment and personalities of the writers and their writings, these things being most apparent, I think, in the works of Mr. Sturluson. I personally hold The Poetic Edda to be of greater worth when coupled with a wider range of sources than I do the Prose Edda. Despite this, I find The Prose Edda very useful none the less providing an analytical reading style, I don't think the book should at all be taken for face value.

Just a quicky, what is it that makes you understand your ethnicity as English when neither your ancestry nor your birth correlates with such? This is not a criticism, by the way, just out of the interest in conversation

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, October 10th, 2010 @ 01:47 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ancestry
    Wales, Ireland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    England England
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Writer
    Politics
    Utopist
    Religion
    Norse Shamanism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sadly, over the years things get progressively steeped in conjecture, so it becomes harder to extricate valuable threads of truth.

Personally, Odin for me is an archetype with a mysterious origin. However one may choose to view it from whatever dogmatic school of thought or perspective, essentially he remains the same. The archetypal, undeniable one-eyed god. One eye (which I naturally like to represent as the right) is the life giving sun; the other is non-existant, an excarnate eye or oriphis; the antithetical opposite. When Odin sacrificed his eye at the well of Mimir, he obtained a permanent state of physical duality +- the reconcilliation of which creating balance which could also be construed as gaining the internal wisdom of the void expressed due to the difference of the resolution of opposites: The difference between Muspelheim (right eye) and Nifflheim (left oriphis); Ginnungagap (Yin and Yang I guess, in Eastern equivalence).
    Well that is my perspective on it anyway, and I am rather biased in regards to the entire business of one-eyed shamanism!

Yes there are parallels to this: Horus and Shiva have that same quality, but they are comparitive, and essentially not Odin!

"I hung for 9 days and nights upon that windswept tree, pierced by my own spear, an offering, myself to myself..."

For me, anyway, Odin and the connected mythological archetypes metaphorically represent a lot of the nature of my own truth. I have no idea why. Maybe merely because I am a natural pagan with a blind left eye, a natural attraction to corvidae, a fascination with shapeshifting, a love for dressing up and a thirst for knowledge?
    Coincedence or not, I found Odin through a strange little card I came across with the FUTHARK laid out on it at age 14 and it developed from there...

I have amended 'ethnicity' to the best of my certainty. Literally I looked at the dropdown menu and I did not find anything specifically appropriate; I guessed Cymru is part of the UK (thanks Edward 1 :x) so that is why I used it. Simply was symptomatic of my blindness in regards to a little box labelled 'or type your choice here'

„Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Family
    Engaged parent
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Odinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    Welcome, Xcogitant.
    Good introduction. I have a question for you though: do you have Germanic ancestors or do you consider yourself Germanic at all, or just Celtic?