State
    Vienna Vienna
    Nationalist-libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Question Purebred or Mixed-Breeds?

How do you feel about mixed-breeds? Are they comparable in any way to human race mixing? If you are about to pick a dog, cat, or another pet, do you prefer it to be a purebred, a mix, or you don't care either way?

Some information on mixed-breeds in dogs, according to some studies they have a health advantage over purebreds. However, crossing two specimens doesn't always result in a better specimen:

The theory of hybrid vigor suggests that as a group, dogs of varied ancestry will be healthier than their purebred counterparts. In purebred dogs, intentionally breeding dogs of very similar appearance over several generations produces animals that carry many of the same alleles, some of which are detrimental. This is especially true if the dogs are closely related. This inbreeding among purebreds has exposed various genetic health problems not readily apparent in less uniform populations. Mixed-breed dogs are more genetically diverse due to the more haphazard nature of their parents' mating. "Haphazard" is not the same as "random" to a geneticist. The offspring of such matings are less likely to express certain genetic disorders because there is a decreased chance that both parents carry the same detrimental recessive alleles. However, some deleterious recessives are common across many seemingly unrelated breeds, and therefore merely mixing breeds is no guarantee of genetic health.

In fact, crossbreeding two poor specimens together does not guarantee the resulting offspring will be healthier than the parents because the offspring could inherit the worst traits of both parents. This is commonly seen in dogs from puppy mills. Healthy traits have been lost in many purebred dogs lines because many breeders of showdogs are more interested in conformation - the physical attributes of the dogs in relation to the breed standard - than in the health and working temperament for which the dog was originally bred.

Purebred and mixed-breed dogs are equally susceptible to most non-genetic ailments, such as rabies, distemper, injury, and infestation by parasites.

Several studies have shown that mixed-breed dogs have a health advantage. A German study finds that "Mongrels require less veterinary treatment". Studies in Sweden have found that "Mongrel dogs are less prone to many diseases than the average purebred dog" and, referring to death rates, “Mongrels were consistently in the low risk category”.

In one landmark study, the effect of breed on longevity in the pet dog was analyzed using mortality data from 23,535 pet dogs. The data was obtained from North American veterinary teaching hospitals. The median age at death was determined for pure and mixed breed dogs of different body weights. Within each body weight category, the median age at death was lower for pure breed dogs compared with mixed breed dogs. The median age at death was "8.5 years for all mixed breed dogs, and 6.7 years for all pure breed dogs" in the study.

A 2003 study in Denmark also found "Higher average longevity of mixed-breed dogs (grouped together).
    Source

Here is a website about mixed-breed pets:
    http://www.mixedbreedpets.com/

If you are the owner of a mixed-breed, please let us know what are its qualities and deficiencies.
    THINK! It's not illegal yet.

Last Online
    Thursday, May 9th, 2019 @ 04:37 AM
    Ethnicity
    German & Anglo-Saxon
    Ancestry
    Germany, England, Ireland
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Financial Analyst
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I had a mixed breed dog growing up. He was half lab, half dalmation. He was the most intellegent dog I've ever seen. He always suprised us with how much English and German he understood. He was also very athletic and healthy. He lived a long time, but he eventually got hit by a car and died. He never had any health problems that I knew of.

Last Online
    Saturday, February 26th, 2011 @ 02:34 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    anglo/nordic
    Ancestry
    England, Normandy, Scotland, Ireland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden
    Subrace
    anglo/nordic
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Texas Texas
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Tile setter
    Politics
    Tribalist
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    the problem with hybrid vigor, is that it allmost never extends past the f-1 generation. hybrid animals cannot reproduce themselves!
    Michael Lingo

Last Online
    Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011 @ 05:00 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Swedish/Prussian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Nationalsozialismus
    Religion
    Germania
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Pure bred dogs are not comparable to human populations. The breeding of these dogs is always incestuous, which is obviously not the case for humans, even if we talk about 'pure' racial types.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    I breed dogs (English Setters). This breed and others were developed with specific purposes in mind. You don't say " I think that Collie is a nice dog, I will breed it with my Setter to produce a nice bird dog" . No you search out another dog that has the same attributes that you are looking for. When it comes to breeding say a English Setter with say a German Shorthair the details become even finer.

There are many dogs that are mixed that are smart and good dogs, but that is not the point of trying to breed a dog for a certain purpose.

btw I meant no offense to Collies of German Shorthairs both are good dog breeds, but they don't suit the use I have for my dogs.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Last Online
    Monday, July 30th, 2012 @ 01:29 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Austria
    Subrace
    Dinarid I guess
    Country
    Austrian Empire Austrian Empire
    Single adult
    Occupation
    student of law
    Politics
    NS
    Religion
    atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have a pureblooded black labrador and he's very sencitive :/ He often gets cold and he can't eat certen food or else he gets diarea or throws up... He understands much though I haven't teached him a lot tricks but I could have if I wanted to... For instance what impresses me perticulary is when we're going somewhere and he knows weather he's going as well or if he's supposed to stay at home He manages to figure it out from conversation

Last Online
    Wednesday, June 27th, 2012 @ 08:58 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    England England
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    When i was a kid i ahd a Jack Russell/English Bull terrier cross.

He was by far the most violent and aggresive dog i have ever seen....ever.He just seemed to inherit the worst of both breeds.
    It was like having a hand grenade on a leash,he would take on anything that had four legs if he could get at it...on one occasion when he "escaped" he attacked a horse.
    When he got older he didnt mellow either he got worse,if for instace he saw a bee or a wasp land on a flower he would chomp the head off the flower with the insect inside it then eat it.

We didnt train him to be like it,and because he was given to us by a friend we knew where his brothers and sisters were and they were all the same,getting their owners into all kinds of trouble.

Nowdays i have an English bull terrier,who is quite a peacefull chap by comparison.

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    My dog is half alaskan husky and the rest is doberman and gorden setter. I wouldnt have mixed him with a pure breed to get offspring.

Last Online
    Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 @ 10:28 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Scotland/Norway/Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Machinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The problem with poure breeds has already been mentioned -- they are kept pure through far too small a gene pool.

This is in no way comparable to humans, where even if you were to stay racially pure, there are more than enough members with those genes such that inbreeding isn't an issue.

All my dogs have been mutts to one extent or another, and have been smarter and healthier than other's dogs who have been pure breeds.

I have a beagle/lab mix who is 18.5 years old right now. She's slowed down considerably, but still gets along under her own power, and likes long walks.

Last Online
    Saturday, February 26th, 2011 @ 02:34 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    anglo/nordic
    Ancestry
    England, Normandy, Scotland, Ireland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden
    Subrace
    anglo/nordic
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Texas Texas
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Tile setter
    Politics
    Tribalist
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You people understand much of genetics, and little about history!

If you trace your family lineage back very far, you will find that just like dogs we are all line bred!

For example, I my self am many times decended from Eyestein "the noisy" Ivarsson, King of oppland. I am decended from his son Rognvald" the wise" Eyesteinsson, and his daughter Svanhild Eyesteinsdottir Who married my ancestor Harold "fair hair" Halfdansson[I am decended from their son Bjorn"the merchant" Haroldsson] I am decended from 2 of Earl Rognvalds sons, Both "turf"Einar Rognvaldsson, and Hrolf "the walker" Rognvaldsson 1st duke of Normandy, If you go a little further, I am decended from His son Guillaume duke of Normandy, and his daughter Gerloc of Normandy.If you travel a little further down "Turf" Einar's [the earl of Orkney] Blood line I am decended from his gg grandson Sigurd Hlodvirsson, I am decended from his son Thorfinn "the mighty" Sigurdsson, and His daughter Agatha Christian who married my ancestor Malcome II king of Scotland. I can go on like this all night long, the point of all this is to demenstrate the fact that humans are in fact line bred the same way a dog is!
    Michael Lingo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast