State
    Tennessee Tennessee
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

So Much for Appalachians Being Raced Mixed. :p

Got my Population Finder results back from FTDNA and I am 100% European (West European) with the margin of error being 0.01% +-.

I am extremely pleased and I await my 23andMe results which are on the way so I can add another source to back up my ancestral claims.

PRIDE IN OUR FOLK!

I did wish FTDNA would give some medical information along with the Population Finder, similar to 23andMe including both ancestry and health in their test, but I'll have to wait it seems till 23andMe is finished with my sample to know that.

At least now I know my ancestry is good enough to pass down, I just await my medical information because there's no way I could in good conscience have children if I had some weird genetic diseases or something.

Lineage migration - Hatfield, Yorkshire, England ->Stainforth, Yorkshire, England ->Whitgift, Yorkshire, England->Blacktoft, Yorkshire, England->Mecklenburg County, Virginia ->Rutherford County, North Carolina ->Overton County, Tennessee.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, March 27th, 2012 @ 03:56 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Tennessee Tennessee
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    23andMe results came too, still 100% European, global similarity with North Europeans, Y-DNA still S116* (I was hoping for the S182 to pop up), mtDNA still H3.

Lineage migration - Hatfield, Yorkshire, England ->Stainforth, Yorkshire, England ->Whitgift, Yorkshire, England->Blacktoft, Yorkshire, England->Mecklenburg County, Virginia ->Rutherford County, North Carolina ->Overton County, Tennessee.

Last Online
    Monday, July 16th, 2012 @ 02:14 AM
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    Married, happily
    Occupation
    Tree Wizard
    Religion
    Wotanist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Is this where I call you a "White Boy"..??

Later,
    -Lyfing

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    Tennessee Tennessee
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyfing View Post
    Is this where I call you a "White Boy"..??

Later,
    -Lyfing
    Indeed.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    Tennessee Tennessee
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I had my raw data analyzed by two projects floating around and these were the comments, I'm leaving the administrators names out just because I'm not sure if they necessarily support my beliefs and I don't want to project my beliefs onto their names:

There is a 2% margin of error with this analysis and as such any percentile under 2% is just "noise" caused by the margin of error and not actual admixture.

European – 98.8248%
    Amerindian – 1.1732%
    North/Central Eurasian – 0.001%
    African – 0.001%

Here were the comments on my results:

This was regarding my position on a graph where I was sandwiched between the Orcadians and the French - "typical native Northwest Euro score, and you'd make a pretty decent Orcadian based on that."

The next one I had done was affinity instead of admixture.

I got these comments:

"Basically this says French, Low Countries, or close. The American is suggestive, so I checked my version of 23andme's Ancestry Painting, and got 100.00% European ... no American at all. Perfect 100% European is unusual. That's if I don't try to include Mideast or S. Asia ...with those, you're still amazingly pure Euro."

With his plots I clustered in between the French and Orcadians again.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    Tennessee Tennessee
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    This is my new Intra-European breakdown with the 23andMe data instead of the FTDNA data:

Northwest European/Cluster 3 – 71.8392%
    Mediterranean/Cluster 2 – 19.4847%
    Central Russian/Cluster 5 – 3.3882%
    North Africa/Cluster 6 – 0.001%
    Near East/Cluster 4 – 0.001%
    Caucasus/Cluster 1 – 5.2859%

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    Tennessee Tennessee
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I'm going to give a final summary here, I've participated in Eurogenes Project, Dodecad Ancestry Project, and had data analyzed by Dr. McDonald with several updates over the past weeks, all conclude 100% European origins and general Northwestern Europe for a region, there were attempts to further specify a region in Northwestern Europe but because of my mix of various British Isle's derived groups, Germany, Scandinavia, and Northern France it was impossible to do so with full confidence.

Also because of my predominating British Isle's and German ancestry, on the maps there's a tug of war between the Isle's and Germany and as a result I end up near Normandy, France on the maps, and this explains my pull towards France in previous analysis, it's not a result of a significant French ancestry but of my ancestral blend playing tug of war and as a result I'm placed somewhere in the middle, a bit farther Northwards though because of the predominating British background thus Normandy in France as opposed to somewhere South.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    Tennessee Tennessee
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Here's my IBS results:

"Identity by State (IBS) genome-wide similarity: This shows how similar you are in terms of your overall genome structure to the other samples.

Keep in mind, a high IBS score doesn't necessarily mean a genealogical link. Sure, it's possible that you are indeed distant cousins with someone who tops your IBS genome-wide list, but more likely, what this says is that you share the same, or very similar biogeographic and/or ethnic ancestry. In other words, your high similarity score is due to multiple distantly shared ancestors, rather than to identifiable ancestors within a reasonable genealogical time frame (less than 1000 years?)." - Eurogenes Admin.

U.S. = United States, IE = Ireland, UK = United Kingdom, FR = France, LT = Lithuania, CA = Canada

IBS Top 10:

US37 - 73.6446
    IE4 - 73.6328
    US51 - 73.6327
    UK9 - 73.598
    FR - 73.5847
    US91 - 73.5708
    LT - 73.5662
    US39 - 73.5633
    CA11 - 73.5605
    LT - 73.5575

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    Tennessee Tennessee
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Got some Chromosome Mosaics from the Eurogenes Project, got a few HET hits, no actual segments so there's no case for any admixture. Given the figures below since I have zero segments formed, only individual HET hits, there's no case to be made for admixture within the past 2,000 years or so.

"Based on those papers, the take-away is that
    the rule of thumb is simply 100/gens = cM size, or conversly, 100/cM = generations, assuming your talking 4 or more generations, where the variability settles down.
    example:

100/1 cM = 100 generations, or 2,500 to 3,000 years.
    100/2.5cM = 40 generations, or 1,000 to 1,200 years.
    100/5 cM = 20 generations, or 500 to 600 years.
    100/10 cM = 10 generations, or 250 to 300 years.
    100/15 cM = 7 generations, or 175 to 210 years.
    The cM, or centiMorgan, is meant as a measure of the likelihood of recombination. An area of a chromosome that is 1 cM has a 1% chance of recombining through the crossover mechanism (thus fragmenting the segment) in one generation somewhere between the start of that area and the end of that area. It also follows that the chance is 1% * 1%, or 1/100 of 1% that there will be two crossovers in one generation over that distance. These values are only estimates, and are also gender averages, because recombination is quite a bit more likely in the female parent than the male.

Now, this doesn't mean that you have a 100% chance of a crossover in 100 generations, in the same way you don't have a 100% chance of getting at least one heads if you flip a coin twice (even though you have a 50% chance of getting heads on each toss).

For 1 cM the chance of it surviving intact is 99% in one generation. You could multiply generations by say 30 years to get estimate of years. Beyond that it's:
    generations..: 1 2 5 10 20 50 100 200 300
    chance intact: 99% 98% 95% 90% 82% 61% 37% 13% 5%
    A 50% chance it's 69 generations, or 2,070 years old or older

For 2 cM the chance of it surviving intact is:
    chance intact: 98% 96% 90% 82% 68% 36% 13% 1.8% 0.2%
    A 50% chance it's 34 generations, or 1,020 years old or older

For 5 cM the chance of it surviving intact is:
    chance intact: 95% 90% 77% 60% 36% 8% 0.6% tiny% tiny%
    A 50% chance it's 13 generations, or 390 years old or older

For 10 cM the chance of it surviving intact is:
    chance intact: 90% 81% 59% 35% 12% 0.5% tiny% tiny% tiny%
    A 50% chance it's 6 generations, or 180 years old or older" - DNA Forums
    Some comments from the admin regarding my results:

"Honestly, I can't see any segments on your mosaic at this threshold. They're all just individual hits." – Eurogenes Admin.

“You’ve got a normal number of HET’s for a Western European” – Eurogenes Admin.

Here's the latest maps from the project, I'm US83 clustering in between the UK and France again:

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    Tennessee Tennessee
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Just found out over at 23andMe that one can zoom in on their Global Similarity plot. I was satisfied to see where I clustered, I'm clustering at an overlap between the English, German, French and Norwegian clusters, I am beyond proud to say that I clustered well outside of the Irish cluster and that goes to show that I did not inherit my genetic ancestry from those few Gaels but rather from my more abundant English ancestors and German ancestors.

This all corresponds very closely to the Eurogenes and McDonald analysis. So these guys must be doing something right.