Thread: Classify Johannes Brahms

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 15th, 2012 @ 08:39 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Mostly old stock WASP with minor strains from French-Switzerland, Germany, and Italy
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student/Gravestone work
    Politics
    Nationalist Conservative
    Religion
    Religion of the Blood
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Classify Johannes Brahms

Classify the Deutsch master of Romantic classical music, often said to be one of the "Three B's" of classical (with Bach and Beethoven). I'll include some younger photos of him without the beard, it definitely obscures his face.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Johannes+Brahms.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	106386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Johannes+Brahms+png.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	106387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Johannes+Brahms2.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	106388   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Johannes+Brahms3.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	106389  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Johannes+Brahms4.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	106390  

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 03:19 AM
    Status
    Brief Absence
    Ethnicity
    European
    Subrace
    Atlantid-Keltic Nordid
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Schaumburg-Lippe Schaumburg-Lippe
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    "Classify Johannes Brahms by Schubert" very funny

Predominantly Nordid with significant Alpinid influence, the latter becoming visible more clearly at an older age.

According to Kretschmer, this is a most typical combination for composers: Nordid urge to create combined with Alpinid "Gemüthaftigkeit".

Last Online
    Friday, March 9th, 2012 @ 10:06 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Western Race Soul
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Waldstein View Post
    According to Kretschmer, this is a most typical combination for composers: Nordid urge to create combined with Alpinid "Gemüthaftigkeit".
    Kretschmer doesn't mention the equally prevalent Nordid-Dinaric combination, which i found a strange omission. BTW, what does Gemüthaftigkeit means?

Last Online
    Monday, December 26th, 2011 @ 11:56 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    German-Acadian
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid
    State
    Louisiana Louisiana
    Germanic Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Gemüthaftigkeit
    Could you give a rough explanation of this word?

Kretschmer doesn't mention the equally prevalent Nordid-Dinaric combination, which i found a strange omission. BTW, what does Gemüthaftigkeit means?
    If I'm not mistake, in certain schemes, Dinarid is subsumed by Alpinid.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Western Race Soul
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post

If I'm not mistake, in certain schemes, Dinarid is subsumed by Alpinid.
    I understand the theory that Dinarics and Alpinids are connected but this does not mean they can simply be lumped together as a single group. A careful examination of the music of composers with a strong Dinaric element (Mozart, Chopin, Berlioz, Liszt ect.) viz a viz those with an Alpinid foundation (Bach, Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms ect.) demonstrate a completely different psychological and expressive profile.

Last Online
    Monday, December 26th, 2011 @ 11:56 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    German-Acadian
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid
    State
    Louisiana Louisiana
    Germanic Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxnot View Post
    I understand the theory that Dinarics and Alpinids are connected but this does not mean they can simply be lumped together as a single group. A careful examination of the music of composers with a strong Dinaric element (Mozart, Chopin, Berlioz, Liszt ect.) viz a viz those an Alpinid foundation (Bach, Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms ect.) demonstrate a completely different psychological and expressive profile.
    I agree; I was just trying to point out that certain anthropologists do not. perhaps Kretschmer is one of these?

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 03:19 AM
    Status
    Brief Absence
    Ethnicity
    European
    Subrace
    Atlantid-Keltic Nordid
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Schaumburg-Lippe Schaumburg-Lippe
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I ignore the reason why Kretschmer did seemingly not take into account the -- in my view quite obvious importance of the Dinarid component in musical genius. I just remember that somewhere in his book "Geniale Menschen", he said something like the general knowledge regarding Dinarids was too unsure. I will try to find, look up said section and then post it here if it should in fact turn out to be of any relevance in this context.

Possible that his personal taste was more in the direction of Bach, Beethoven and Schubert than for instance Liszt and Chopin. Maybe he also saw Mozart as a Nordid-Alpinid mixture as well rather than a Nordid-Dinarid one. But the most probable explanation for his omission in my opinion is that his statement was meant to be of a more general nature: He just said that the highest frequency of musical geniuses occurs in the territory of "Nordid-Alpinid" mixture which shows a big intersection with the central European Dinarid territory (namely Bavaria and some parts of Austria in the first place).

Gemüthaftigkeit
    When I look up "Gemüt" on leo.org, I find "mind" as a translation, which is completely false in my opinion as "mind" brings into mind the latin "mens", which is a faculty of reason, of intellect. "Gemüt" is, in a very rough approximation: θυμός (thymos), but it's more (and a more diffuse term) than the greek one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumos

Associated with "Gemüt" is "Gemütlichkeit" (translations on leo.org: cosiness, snugness, sociability) and - with quite a different meaning - also "Gemüthaftigkeit". A person who shows much "Gemüt" can be described as "gemüthaft". A zyklothymic person will constantly be "gemüthaft", because it's the θυμός which is - as opposed to the schizothymic - unsplit in the zyklothymic, is his main driving force, the flowing of the "Gemüt", not ideas or abstract principles, but this "Gemüthaftigkeit" will make his mood change from time to time, from more or less hilarious to more or less sad or downright depressive. I think the best way to understand the meaning of "Gemüthaftigkeit" is to read the novels of writers such as Gottfried Keller or Adalbert Stifter and/or to listen to some music of Schubert and maybe Brahms to name only a few examples.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Western Race Soul
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If my own observations are correct, Schubert is a bit more Nordic in his expression then Brahms. It is possible of course that Kretschmer believed that, despite their obvious natural affinity for music, and the fact that they make the best virtuosos, Dinarics are simply incapable of genius. The Nordic element being omnipresent, there is at least one case in which a full blooded Alpine musician was able to achieve genius, that is, Beethoven. Dvorak and Debussy might count as well. At the moment, i can't think of a Dinaric musician that has done the same. Berlioz certainly does not qualify, and neither does Liszt or Paganini. Mozart and Chopin both had Nordic blood if i'm not mistaken. I also remember reading that Kretschmer believed there were only two cultures in Europe, Nordic and Alpine. He then specifically stated that Dinarics did not in fact produce a culture of their own (though he is quick to add that there was no reason to believe they couldn't!), which in a way seems to indicate that he did separate Alpines from Dinarics. Of course, things get even more confusing when you consider other venues of genius. For instance, the Renaissance had an extraordinary abundance of Dinaric artists, starting from Michelangelo, who was perhaps the greatest of them all. Surely Kretschmer couldn't possibly have failed to take that into consideration, unless he credited the Renaissance on the Alpine strain alone.