Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts

Smile I Solemnly Vow..

The Hávamál tells us to enjoy everything in moderation, most especially alcohol. I usually moderate my intake well, but today I overstepped the line - out of fear of failing I drank more than I should have, and this included sending strange messages to a person that really matters when I should have known better than to whine: I did what I never do usually, I drank from doubt.

This is the sign for me to know that I can no longer be a slave to the beer, as much as I enjoy its taste and like to indulge in one several times a week, especially on weekends, just for the taste. I will attempt near-complete moderation for the rest of the year to show that I am master of my own mind.

This means that I solemnly vow, as an oath to my honour, this morning, that I shall drink an exact four further times this year: 1) Next week, to celebrate the passing of an upcoming important exam; 2) My own birthday in early October, 3) A friend's birthday in mid-November; 4) New Year's Eve. If I shall be convinced to drink on any other day this year, I shall be held to be a man without honour.

It is a vice much more than we know, when we think we have it under control, it can spiral out of our control one given evening when you simply don't know you've had enough as much as you usually do. Therefore, I shall show it the bird for the rest of the year, and only drink on abovementioned celebratory occasions, but no other day for the rest of the year. Support me in this endeavour if you will.

The reason I am posting this is only in part personal - but much more in a large part to animate people to join me in this endeavour: Pick your own 3-4 days, and stay abstinent for the rest of the year. It is us as activists that should lead by example, and a collective effort to moderate our drink (as I know, there are some that like their beer too much), we shall set an example in turn to our fellow folk who are even much more caught up in their drinking instead of caring at all about the problems that we fnd ourselves in.

Any other vices you wish to curtail instead, if you're already abstinent, are of course also welcome. This shall be our "Vices Anonymous".
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Friday, September 18th, 2020 @ 05:32 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Ancestry
    German-American and proud
    Subrace
    Alpinid-Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I have to admit to that I have been indulging lately in some vices. I have been drinking a lot of sodas. I've been having three cans of soda a day (DR. Pepper, Ginger Ale, ect...) and have been really slacking off in my exercising and not been applying myself in school (I failed a math test recently). I've tried to take into moderation my own addictions. This is good that we can always come to a community like this and gain support. And this community has been a good support.

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 21st, 2012 @ 10:41 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Prussian
    Subrace
    Faelid/Batlid
    Country
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Fascist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Congrats! I do need to cut out some of my own problems. My insomnia makes it hard to sleep, so I overindulge in caffeine the next day to stay awake.

I don't drink alcohol at all though (Never have), so that's one vice I don't need to worry about, I have never understood the point in numbing the senses, I like enhancing them with caffeine and such.
    Ein Kampf, Ein Sieg! Fur Prussia!

Last Online
    Friday, February 24th, 2012 @ 12:27 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Isles
    Subrace
    Pred. Atlantid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    The reason I am posting this is only in part personal - but much more in a large part to animate people to join me in this endeavour: Pick your own 3-4 days, and stay abstinent for the rest of the year. It is us as activists that should lead by example, and a collective effort to moderate our drink (as I know, there are some that like their beer too much), we shall set an example in turn to our fellow folk who are even much more caught up in their drinking instead of caring at all about the problems that we fnd ourselves in.
    Well done

I'm currently on a course of anti-biotics which is to last quite some time, and so I should not be drinking at all, however I have been drinking regardless, so perhaps I will join you I'm going to have a drink tomorrow night, as my friend is having a bonfire for her birthday, I am going to drink on Halloween, on Christmas day and on New Years Eve

Last Online
    Wednesday, June 27th, 2012 @ 08:58 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    England England
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    The Hávamál tells us to enjoy everything in moderation, most especially alcohol. I usually moderate my intake well, but today I overstepped the line - out of fear of failing I drank more than I should have, and this included sending strange messages to a person that really matters when I should have known better than to whine: I did what I never do usually, I drank from doubt.

This is the sign for me to know that I can no longer be a slave to the beer, as much as I enjoy its taste and like to indulge in one several times a week, especially on weekends, just for the taste. I will attempt near-complete moderation for the rest of the year to show that I am master of my own mind.

This means that I solemnly vow, as an oath to my honour, this morning, that I shall drink an exact four further times this year: 1) Next week, to celebrate the passing of an upcoming important exam; 2) My own birthday in early October, 3) A friend's birthday in mid-November; 4) New Year's Eve. If I shall be convinced to drink on any other day this year, I shall be held to be a man without honour.

It is a vice much more than we know, when we think we have it under control, it can spiral out of our control one given evening when you simply don't know you've had enough as much as you usually do. Therefore, I shall show it the bird for the rest of the year, and only drink on abovementioned celebratory occasions, but no other day for the rest of the year. Support me in this endeavour if you will.

Any other vices you wish to curtail instead, if you're already abstinent, are of course also welcome. This shall be our "Vices Anonymous".
    I wish you well.

Thakfully i am an Englishman and there is actually a law that states we have to drink a couple of beers a day or risk capital punishment.
    If i remember rightly this law applies also to the Scots/Welsh/Irish and is ancient and written in stone.(Although i think there is actually a clause which states that the Scots and Irish have to drink double what everyone else drinks)

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 02:47 PM
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Ancestry
    Danish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Unemployed
    Politics
    Nationalist, conservative
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I wish you well too.

We all have nights of drinking too much and doing a thing or two we only half-remember but completely regret doing.

Indeed, alcohol should be enjoyed in moderation and should not be a crutch that lets you do things you don't have the guts to do while sober. I have myself had the concern that I could not make do without it and primarily drank to fit in.

Therefore I have experimented with periods of not drinking.

I have myself just ended one such period of experimental teetotalism and the results of attending parties and socializing without alcohol was very enlightening and reaffirming: I did almost precisely the same things I would normally do, talked to aquaintances and friends in a confident and pleasant manner and just enjoyed myself.

The best of luck with your vow.

Last Online
    Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 @ 11:29 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Germany, Netherlands
    Subrace
    Germanic
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Limburg (NL) Limburg (NL)
    Married
    Occupation
    Knowledge management consultant
    Politics
    The Northern Path
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Good luck with your endeavour.

A few days ago I actually vowed to cut back on my over-consumption of candy and cookies. I usually endulge in this habbit during work. But over-endulgence and being focussed and in good shape is a bad combination. An life of honor and courage needs a fit mind and body and thus also healthy food. So my vow is to cut back my consumption of this stuff to a minimum.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 02:12 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,431 Posts
    I managed to phase out alcohol some years ago due to a bit of a medical condition. It had its uses; for example, a can of beer late at night always enabled me to sleep well and I've never really found a suitable replacement for this, truth be told. Overall though I can't look back on my beer-drinking days with much fondness and if I was 18 again (knowing what I know now) I think I'd be teetotal.

Now chocolate, that’s another matter! I can't imagine life without it and have made several fruitless attempts to give up, the longest of which lasted barely a month I’ve tried telling myself I’ll only eat it on special occasions but then found I was inventing “special occasions” every few days, most of them too trivial to mention! Chocolate always gave me spots and blotchy skin so this at least provided an incentive to reduce my intake, but then I discovered that eating an apple afterwards counteracts this so I can't even use this as my spur any more. That said, I've cut out most of the other unhealthy stuff I used to eat so I don't begrudge myself this one final vice

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, September 6th, 2020 @ 11:21 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Good luck to you Sigurd.

Alcohol can be a weakness for many people, myself included. I have a over fondness for single barrel Kentucky bourbon and good cigars. Since I almost have quit the cigars, I figured I would just as well quit the bourbon. Never did I drink bourbon to combat stress, I drank it because I liked the taste.

Although I very much like my beer, I don't like the feeling of being intoxicated so I usually quit drinking after 1 or 2 big glasses. I fully understand the loose tongue syndrome of alcohol, mine is more in jovial manner( at least I think so). Having spent some nights on the sofa as a result of this.

A example of this happened just recently when the we went to the local bar to have a few beers and hamburgers. There is very young barmaid there with red hair that is well, umm, lets just say very attractive. When my better half noticed I was following her with my eyes she said " what are you looking at?". Without thinking I said " what you looked like 20 years ago" thinking I was being funny. Needless to say that was a very long drive home and a lonely night on the sofa, despite all of my apologies. Luckily she is very forgiving of my barbaric ways.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Last Online
    Monday, July 18th, 2011 @ 10:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English, Irish, German, Swiss, Austrian
    Country
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Engineer
    Politics
    Pragmatic Pluralist
    Religion
    Christian Deist, Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Life and the Seven Deadly Sins

Ahh yes, "Moderation in all things..." or the individual adherence to the Aristotelian "Golden Mean". To adhere to it, is to aspire to the goals of:

1. Wisdom
    2. Temperance
    3. Courage
    4. Justice

All Hallmarks of the "Good" Man.

Good Luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast