State
    Virginia Virginia
    Anarcho-Capitalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest King View Post
    It's funny that I'd come upon this video now, right after I got done reading Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead" which was a very good book, but the ideas she posed about architecture kind of repulsed me.
    The Fountainhead was a big influence on me, but I found it hard trying to think of what Rand's idea of a the "ideal" building is. For the person I can agree, through her depiction of statues, being the perfect man or woman is one who someone can look up to. Someone is who isn't fake (which you won't find in today's celebrities). An honest and modest beauty. As for the buildings go, I can't even imagine. Especially the part of the book where Roark designed the house that the family didn't live in, because everyone detested it's look besides the husband! (I just think she was trying to portray an idea of individualism against the collective stream, but she did work as an architects secretary prior and during the writing of the book).

I don't think her idea of modern architecture would have resulted in a lot of the odd designs you see today, since she thought anything added that didn't actually add to the structural integrity was useless. Even some modern architecture strikes me as interesting, and I'm amazed at what can now be accomplished through the advancements of engineering, but some stuff doesn't fit in with it's surroundings. I can't even stand the looks of a lot of concept cars, and the cars of the possible future. They look like something out of a cartoon or a sci-fi movie. They look cool for what they are, but I can never picture myself driving it in today's world. I drive a Volvo, it's like driving a rectangle, I love it, no unnecessary curves and wasted material.

Last Online
    10 Hours Ago @ 08:04 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    553 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SaxonCeorl
    Why consider anyone else's opinion when clearly yours is the only one that is correct?
    Uhm, cheap, you started with defending "modern art" against the in the videos proposed universal beauty. And now you back down with such a notion?

But it's not about denying all modern art beauty or value, even those accidentially splattered colors across canvas "have something", but still, it is not "art". It doesnt require skill, talent or creativity.

To turn that around. Some things in nature are really beautiful, this starts with special grown trees, flowers, the clouds, stones, or colorful fish like this:

It's beautiful, it's even inspiring, but that fish is not "art".
    Ein Leben ist nichts, deine Sprosse sind alles
    Aller Sturm nimmt nichts, weil dein Wurzelgriff zu stark ist
    und endet meine Frist, weiss ich dass du noch da bist
    Gefürchtet von der Zeit, mein Baum, mein Stamm in Ewigkeit

my signature

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Most people here don't like modern Art, that much is pretty obvious.

However since any particular piece modern art requires a bit of reading and a bit of looking in order to even begin to understand it, and most people cannot be bothered doing either, it is hard to tell how much of the negative reaction is due to a genuine distaste for the message and how much of it is just willful ignorance towards anything that challenges the viewer and doesn't fit the mold of a "pretty picture".

The greatest thing Art can do imo is to "inspire", literally to leave the viewer with a sense of having "more energy" than he came in with. While beauty can be inspiring, Art doesn't necessarily have to be beautiful in order to do this. What will inspire one person will likely not inspire another.

The Art of R.H Geiger is not exactly beautiful but many people find it inspiring.

"Bad Art" then is art which doesn't inspire anyone. And Bad art to me is simply art that doesn't inspire me personally.

While most modern art falls into this category (as does most music) I would have to say that most 18th and 19th century Art also falls into this category as well. Just because a work of art is attempting to depict a naturally occurring form in a recognizable way it doesn't mean it will be inspiring, it could just as well be tepid and banal and in many cases it will be especially after one has viewed a few thousand such examples.

People who think that the "be all and end all" of art is figurative painting and sculpture should spend a day in their nearest historical art museum. I would challenge them not to be left unmoved and even bored by at least 90% of the art contained there.
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 07:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    The problem is not only "modern art", it's the lack of mental maturity among artists in general.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    609 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest King View Post
    The problem is not only "modern art", it's the lack of mental maturity among artists in general.
    Really that depends on the type of art being discussed nor would I generalize to say artist are not mentally mature. Art falls under many labels and types. Most successful artist are somewhat business people first and artist second.

While I am not much of fan of "modern art" I do appreciate some of the thought processes involved in creating it. While I very much realize that some "modern art" is degenerate not all of it is by a long shot nor are the artist that create it.

A artist could also say the lack of understanding this is also immature.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 12:28 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Western
    Country
    Other Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    One of the better documentaries I've seen.
    Indeed, should be essential for everyone to watch.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 03:05 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany, Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Very wonderful video.

It reminded me of this one:
    Denis Dutton: A Darwinian theory of beauty

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 11:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Norway, Sweden, Germany
    Country
    England England
    Married
    Occupation
    Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Cool videos, it reminds me of several things. The first being my favourite quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson, American transcendentalist, "

"This agrees well with that high philosophy of Beauty which the ancient writers delighted in; for they said that the soul of man, embodied here on earth, went roaming up and down in quest of that other world of its own, out of which it came into this, but was soon stupefied by the light of the natural sun, and unable to see any other objects than those of this world, which are but shadows of real things. Therefore, the Deity sends the glory of youth before the soul, that it may avail itself of beautiful bodies as aids to its recollection of the celestial good and fair; and the man beholding such a person in the female sex runs to her, and finds the highest joy in contemplating the form, movement, and intelligence of this person, because it suggests to him the presence of that which indeed is within the beauty, and the cause of the beauty".

I also was reminded of an article I read once, Abstract Art is Not Abstract and Definitely Not Art. An amazing article that I recommend reading if you have a few minutes.

Finally some of the comments in this thread reminded me of the Jackson Pollock site, http://www.jacksonpollock.org/.

By creating a computer program that has the ability to mimic the style of popular abstract artist Jackson Pollock is the art community admitting that it takes absolutely no creativity to be an abstract artist? Isn't creativity supposed to be the foundation of art, and thus necessarily a virtue of art? How is this not a recognition then that abstract art is after all not art?

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 03:05 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany, Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The original videos posted were removed from Youtube, here are working videos.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5
    All that is necessary for Evil to triumph is for good Men to do Nothing. ~ Edmund Burke

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123