Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Germanics Be Hindu or Buddhist While Retaining Their Identity?

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Sunday, January 24th, 2010 @ 10:00 PM
    Subrace
    Other
    Spenglarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: @ Fionn

Originally posted by Von Braun
    The first part of your post is irrelevant because the truth is not determined by votes, popularity contests, authoritative declarations, or the like.
    Truth is not ascertained by the purity of reason either, or faith in science, howsoever negative to the subject!

Last Online
    Tuesday, September 4th, 2007 @ 10:37 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

@Rahul
    Great post.

@Apothecary
    Your last post interests me, what do you imply by it and what leads you to these implications?

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, March 16th, 2005 @ 08:00 AM
    Subrace
    Dinarid-UP-Kelt Nordid-Alpinid
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Occupation
    Public sector
    Politics
    Misanthrope
    Religion
    None
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Post An example of a skeptical possible WN

A lot of WN's, perhaps a majority would disagree with this.
    From the following URL: http://www.rpi.edu/~sofkam/talk/talk.html

"Occasionally you will find a person who claims to be more rational because they are skeptics, pure and simple. For example, we once had a member of ISUNY (The Inquiring Skeptics of Upper New York) who is about as skeptical as they come. He is an atheist, and believes that you cannot be a true skeptic without being an atheist (seem myth 14 below). He would tell stories of challenging a dowser double or nothing to divert water from his basement. He took community classes just to hassle the instructors. He and his wife showed up at our second meeting wearing ``number one skeptic'' and ``number two skeptic'' badges. He also believes the holocaust is a myth created by a Zionists conspiracy, and perpetuated by the state of Israel for the purpose of extorting money from the German government. He eventually quite ISUNY---I guess we were not skeptical enough for his sensibilities."

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Subrace
    Country
    Occupation
    Public sector
    Politics
    Misanthrope
    Religion
    None
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Post @ Fionn: Addressing claims of the paranormal

I will address the items that you listed, but first I would like to divide all paranormal phenomena into two groups:

1) Phenomena that it would be strange to see proven, but would not require any paradigm shifts, e.g. requiring revising our versions of the laws of nature. For instance, if there is a remnant aquatic dinosaur population in Loch Ness, or if extraterrestrials who evolved in some other solar system by totally natural means (just as we did) have visited us by virtue of the fact that they have a few thousand year "head start" in technology over us (which is "nothing" in cosmic time), then my response would be "That is interesting, but so what?" Afterall, these findings would be completely within the laws of nature as we currently understand them.

2) Phenomena such as clairvoyance, telepathy, precognition, psychokinesis, and out-of-body experiences would all require revisions and/or additions to the current framework of understanding. The reason for my resistance to such revisions and/or additions is twofold. First, the current framework of nature that we use has stood up well since Galileo and Newton, although it has undergone some fairly significant changes with relativity and quantum theory in the early 20th century, changes which apply to extreme cases (very small/very large, etc.). Second, I have never personally encountered anything that has seemed to even come close to violating the laws of nature. I am being honest: I do not pretned to be omniscient (and therefore do not claim that I know that our current framework must be 100% true and complete), but I strongly suspect that the laws of nature as we understand them are correct and only need perhaps a few additions and minor revisions for the aforementioned reasons. I think we are close (a few decades perhaps) to the general, all-encompassing picture of the universe.

With that said, I will gather my thoughts on the cases that you mentioned and post a reply shortly. I do not want to get this thread too far off topic, as this is a tangent to my earlier main point to Sigrun: significant alterations to our understanding of reality are unlikely, in my opinion. Perhaps a new thread is in order. Do you think that a friendly debate on these issues would be an interesting thread for this forum?
    Last edited by Von Braun; Friday, May 23rd, 2003 at 10:38 AM.

Last Online
    Thursday, May 10th, 2012 @ 02:10 AM
    Ethnicity
    Afrikaner
    Ancestry
    Slavic
    Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"my parents sent me to a psychologist"

And??

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Subrace
    Country
    Occupation
    Public sector
    Politics
    Misanthrope
    Religion
    None
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Originally posted by providenje
    "my parents sent me to a psychologist"

And??
    What are you interested in knowing?

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Subrace
    Country
    Occupation
    Public sector
    Politics
    Misanthrope
    Religion
    None
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ghost ships do not require much explanation. First, it is possible that some hobbyist was using an old wooden sailing ship (or a re-creation of one) well into the twentieth century. Hallucinations cannot be discounted either, especially under conditions of boredom, lack of water and food, and nothing but a plane of water in all directions in calm weather (analagous to people seeing things that are not there when travelling through the desert). Those links that you provided do not give many details pertaining to the U-boat sighting of the ghost ship.

Borley Rectory
    I went to www.borleyrectory.com. Of course, all of the evidence associated with this alleged haunted house is anecdotal. The accounts of strange noises, thrown objects, etc., are vague. Also, it should be noted that the witnesses had a priori biases toward the supernatural (they were protestant christians). Another principle that applies to this case is the trend that superstition and irrationality tend to diminish over time. Since these events took place several decades ago, this principle can be used to question the relative credibility of the witnesses.

D. D. Home
    The allegations of levitation and telekinesis are anecdotal. This man's feats were not performed under strict laboratory condtions. The closest that I read of are accounts of a few respected professors watching. Again, this occured in the nineteenth centruy, and people at that time were generally more gullible and less sophisticated than they are today. In all of the accounts that I read, most of the tricks seemed to be replicable by ordinary entertainment magicians. In addition to this, he may have been a skilled hypnotist (or perhaps he drugged the attendees), and many of these alleged feats may simply have been verbal in nature (i.e. he desribed them to the audience when it was in an altered state of consciousness and later they believed that the described events really happened).

Leonora Piper
    The ability to know details about someone does not have to entail supernatural abilities. Salesmen and the like do it all the time by observing body language, dress, tone of voice, etc., to deduce details about the individual. This is known as "cold reading." In addition, her apparent knowledge of details of her clients could easily have come from independent research: a client would make an appointment and give his/her name and hometown, and she could then do research on that individual in the intervening time.

The Devil's Footprints
    My first question is: what institution verified that this was one path that stretched for nearly one hundred miles? I saw accounts of a few academics taking measurements of the size and spacing of the prints, but no governmental body or scientific society was mentioned. This took place after photography had been in use for about three decades. Why did I see only sketches of the prints and not any photographs at any of the sites that I went to? I would think that a motionless target of this importance would have been photographed at this point in history (1855).

In summary, I have relied heavily on questioning the value of anecdotal evidence. However, consider this: the laws of physics are much more consistent that human behavior (even compared to the behavior of one individual at different times). It is absurd to significantly alter our current understanding of nature based on anecdotal evidence in light of how fallible humans have proven themselves to be. Also, the majority of these events took place in the ninteenth century, which was arguably part of the bridge from medeval times to modern times (some may argue it qualifies as part of modern times). The point is that an individual's credibility is a function of many things, and their epoch in history is a very important factor.

Last Online
    Sunday, July 24th, 2011 @ 05:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English/Irish/German
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Anarcho-Capitalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can Germanics Be Hindu or Buddhist While They Keep Their Identity?

I came across this thread about Buddhist on Skadi (which I searched for after I decided to post this).

Even though Germanics can be Christian due to the process of it being adjusted to Europeans through time, could someone who wants no affiliation with the Abrahamic religions practice Buddhism or Hinduism? (I have a bigger interest in Hinduism than Buddhism.)

This is all on a spiritual level, though, and I'm not talking about engulfing themselves in Asian culture. Still preserving the heritage of our ancestry, but using one of the two mentioned religions on a spiritual plane.

I ask this after reading Evola, as he seemed to have a big interest in Hinduism, and that Hinduism and Buddhism still remains largely untouched by Christian hands when it comes to it's traditionalism.

I've read that people may find Asatru incomplete for a spiritual path, as it's being reconstructed after almost dying out, so it's not "complete" or "full" as is other religions.

Thoughts on this?

Last Online
    Tuesday, September 20th, 2011 @ 10:19 PM
    Ethnicity
    Sachse
    Ancestry
    Von den Siebenbürgern
    Subrace
    Europid, nicht wichtig
    Single adult
    Occupation
    blöde schwere Welt
    Politics
    Individualistisch/Deistisch
    Religion
    Ohne Gott kein Leben
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Buddhism is not a bad thing. Started reading a compact book about it, after i regained that it could be interesting. I might see in it a way to hold against western stressfull life which i got rid off. But i make sure one might need heavy attraction to this religion and as a white man what do you have to put in on this? You are not asiatic, think with your white race brain, can't understand the essence might off buddhism. So it is not easy to involve yourself into it. But you never won't as european be able to get the deep meaning off it and to integrate in yourself, no matter as much as you can identify with it.

Better stay up to your religion, it was developed by your race and expresses your belief. That the main contrary to not start joining buddhism.

Last Online
    Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 @ 10:28 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Scotland/Norway/Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Machinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have a hard time believing that you could maintain your identity while being a Hindu or Buddhist. They are very eastern in their concepts and you'll end up either being frustrated with it because of that, or you'll start adopting eastern thought processes and lose your identity in the process.

The hard part is, Christianity has pretty much scattered the western religions to the winds. It's hard to reconstruct Asartu without having to strain through a lot of Chirstian concepts. Druidism has been so watered down by new age wiccans trying to make it palatable to the Christian world (such as removing a lot of the sacrifical and blood rites) that it is another case of something having to be reconstructed.

Honestly, I think it'd be more rewarding to try to reconstruct the religions of your ancestors, or just accept the Christian influences.

On that note, I find Christianity to be far more palatable than most. If you read the New Testament (Christianioty is based on the NT, not the Old), you find that the Juden hate the Christian because the God turned to the Heathen (us) as to make His people, after the Jew turned their backs on Hiom again and again. The Christ flat out said he'd take the heathen as His own, and use them to shame the Jew for their disobediance.

If you really read it for what it says, rather than what people tell you it says, you'll find it far more Germanic-friendly than you thought. Especially, since unlike the Old Testament, it doesn't proscribe a certain culture. I.e. Temples don't have to fit a certain set of dimensions (you don't even need a "church building" at all). It doesn't care if you live in a tent, a longhouse, a Row house, or a trailer.

If you read it closely, it's also not a pacifist's book by any means, and it uphold truth, honor, keeping of oaths, family integrity, all of the things Germanics have upheld as virtue for all of history.

Think about it. I'd stay with a western religion, of whatever stripe you prefer.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast