Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

Another Pill That Could Cause a Revolution

Could the decades-long global impasse over abortion worldwide be overcome — by little white pills costing less than $1 each?

That seems possible, for these pills are beginning to revolutionize abortion around the world, especially in poor countries. One result may be tens of thousands of women’s lives saved each year.

Five-sixths of abortions take place in developing countries, where poor sterilization and training often make the procedure dangerous. Up to 70,000 women die a year from complications of abortions, according to the World Health Organization.

But researchers are finding an alternative that is safe, cheap and very difficult for governments to restrict — misoprostol, a medication originally intended to prevent stomach ulcers.

“I feel like people must have felt when they discovered the nuclear bomb,” says Dr. Beverly Winikoff, president of Gynuity Health Projects, a nonprofit research institution on reproductive health. “This technology is world-shaking.”

This pharmaceutical approach is called “medical abortion.” In the United States and Europe it typically consists of two sets of “M” pills. The first is mifepristone, formerly known as RU-486, and then a day or two later the misoprostol.

Using the drugs in combination produces a miscarriage more than 95 percent of the time in early pregnancy. But mifepristone is difficult to obtain in much of the world, because it is used only to induce abortions. In contrast, misoprostol is very widely available and can’t easily be banned because it is also used for ulcers and can save lives of women with postpartum hemorrhages. Whatever one thinks of misoprostol for abortions, it also is a potential lifesaver for women who hemorrhage after childbirth.

Researchers are finding that if women take misoprostol alone, effectiveness drops to 80 to 85 percent. That may sound low, but it’s typically far better and safer than alternatives that women turn to, Dr. Winikoff noted.

“Medical abortion represents a revolution in women’s reproductive health,” said Dana Hovig, the chief executive of Marie Stopes International, an aid group that provides women’s reproductive health services in 43 countries around the world. “It saves women’s lives and has enormous potential to increase access to safe abortion at minimal cost.”

Medical abortion causes a miscarriage that is indistinguishable from a natural one. That’s important for women in countries where they risk arrest if they seek help in a hospital after a botched abortion. The risks to a woman seem no greater than with a natural miscarriage, and there’s no known harm to a woman who turns out not to have been pregnant after all. One serious downside is that misoprostol is suspected of causing birth defects, perhaps 1 percent of the time, but only if it fails and the pregnancy continues to term.

In the United States, only about one abortion in eight is done with pills. Partly that’s because by law, mifepristone must be taken in a clinic. But worldwide, the number of medical abortions is surging, accounting for nearly 70 percent of all abortions in Scotland, according to Marie Stopes International.

It’s not clear how late in pregnancy medical abortion is feasible. “It sounds like a simple question, but it’s not,” Dr. Winikoff said. In some form and strength, medical abortion seems to work “from Day 1 to the end of pregnancy,” she said — but the effectiveness and safety of later-stage abortions still need to be worked out.

In the United States, the pills can be taken up to nine weeks’ gestation. In Britain, inpatient use of the pills is permitted up to 24 weeks.

What do these pills mean for the political battles over abortion? To firm opponents of abortion, the means of ending a pregnancy doesn’t matter. But my hunch is that, for those in the middle, taking pills at home may seem a more natural process than a surgical abortion, and the result may be a tad more acceptance.

In any case, it would be tough to carry out a ban on medical abortion. Indian companies are producing mifepristone and misoprostol in a big way, and blister packs with the combination of drugs can be purchased for less than $5 — and then shipped anywhere.

In addition, misoprostol on its own can be found all over the world, from Internet sites to over-the-counter pharmacies in Delhi. In India, misoprostol costs just pennies per pill.

Misoprostol is likely to become even more widely available, because last year the World Health Organization expanded its uses as an “essential medicine” to include treatment of miscarriages and incomplete abortions.

Brazil and some other countries have tried to tighten access to misoprostol because of its use for abortion. But curbing access to misoprostol would mean that more women would die of hemorrhages.

As word spreads among women worldwide about what a few pills can do, it’s hard to see how politicians can stop this gynecological revolution.

Source http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/op...stof.html?_r=2

Terrible

One with Nature
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Dacian (Moldavia, Transylvania) & German (Buchenland, Austrian Empire, Mecklenburg)
    Óđins mćr
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    477 Posts
    I don't trust modern medicine, and especially not pills.

Haemorrhages? No problem! There is a medicinal plant (actually there are more) which was used for thousands of years, and it's proved to be very efficient against hemorrhage. It is commonly known as Field Horsetail or Common Horsetail, and its Latin name is Equisetum arvense.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coada-calului.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	105990

Name:	m32.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	668.8 KB 
ID:	105991

Name:	coada-calului.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	105992

How to use it: Once you have the dried plant, it's good to know that one of the most efficient ways to use it is as powder. Yes, powder. You get powder from the dried plant, using a grinder / hand mill (like the one used to grind the coffee, to make powder from the coffee beans)... and of course using a clean one, without traces of coffee or whatever else. Once you have the powder: In case of emergency (like a sudden haemorrhage), just take one teaspoon of powder, and keep it under your tongue for about 10-15 minutes. Then, after it mixed with saliva and the time passed, you can swallow it with water (remember! water!). You repeat this every 3 hours. It is better to do this before eating (not after, at least not immediately after), so you'll be able to absorb more of the plant effects. The next day you take the plant powder just 3-4 times, 15 minutes before each of the main dishes. Continue doing this for at least 5 days, even if the haemorrhage stops meanwhile. This plant also has lots of minerals, so it also helps your body to recover after the haemorrhage. It's a real bless!

Believe me, it works! I have tested it! It's way better and more efficient than any medicine!

It should also work for ulcers, at least for hyper-acid gastritis it works. In this case, just take one teaspoon of plant powder, 3-4 times a day, before eating (I would literally say to have your stomach empty, but it sounds... hmmm, doesn't sound good to me. So just make sure you didn't eat anything at least 3-4 hours before taking the plant, and you're hungry enough to eat after taking it). You can do this 3 months in a row, and then take a break (like one month), and repeat the treatment if you feel it’s necessary.
    There are other plants very effective in case of ulcers, or gastritis, but I'm going to search after remedies just in case there's real demand for it.

Important!
    Make sure you use the plant powder within less than 7 days, otherwise it won’t have the same therapeutic properties. You can make more powder if you need. And another important issue: do not keep the powder, or the plant itself, in plastic bags! It can affect its properties! Use paper bags instead!

Oh, and as for abortion... oh... better don't get there. The most efficient proved protection is called A-B-S-T-I-N-E-N-C-E, if you really don't want it. However, there still are other options. And there are also medicinal plants which are definitely NOT recommended for pregnant women, because they can cause abortion, but it's not the case with Common Horsetail. This one is safe to use in any case and by anyone.

___

Later edit:

Here is some more useful information, in German: http://www.heilpflanzenkatalog.net/h...chtelhalm.html
    I forgot to mention that the tincture can also be very effective. Still, I believe the powder is the most effective.
    Last edited by Víđálfr; Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Link added.
    Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.

Last Online
    Friday, April 19th, 2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Massachusetts Massachusetts
    Family
    Having a longtime compani
    Occupation
    bartender
    Politics
    conservative
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    There are supposedly herbs out there that can induce an abortion. I've heard one called yellow carrot/Queen Anne's lace can be used within the first two months of pregnancy to induce a miscarriage. If it's used after that point, it won't and will just damage the baby you'll end up having.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard "the Burning Times" in Europe might have had something to do with medical doctors trying to put midwives and herbal abortionists out of business. I've heard that by the time the witch finders left some towns there were no women left in them. Perhaps it wasn't unusual for the average woman back then to know which plants growing in her environment could be used to terminate a pregnancy or even to make it as healthy as possible. I wonder if that's why abortion is so controversial in our society today; the medical community is trying to profit from keeping women ignorant of their reproductive health. If women knew which herbs to take to cause a miscarriage, these companies which manufacture contraceptive and birth control drugs would go out of business.
    By the way, I wouldn't advise any woman to use the aforementioned herbs to give herself an abortion. See a medical doctor if you're interested in terminating a pregnancy.
    Last edited by flemish; Wednesday, August 4th, 2010 at 03:58 AM. Reason: mistake in grammar

One with Nature
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Dacian (Moldavia, Transylvania) & German (Buchenland, Austrian Empire, Mecklenburg)
    Óđins mćr
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    477 Posts
    I personally don't see the link between knowing how to use plants in therapeutic purposes and witchcraft. That sounds very ignorant and stupid. People did that since ancient times, and not only women. I know for sure that they used plants to cure in ancient Greece, in ancient Dacia, and in ancient Thracia in general. I am pretty sure the Celts did the same, and I don't see any reasons for the Germanic people not to use Nature at its fullest, too. So what happened with the supposed witches in the Catholic world is just abominable.

Quote Originally Posted by flemish
    the medical community is trying to profit from keeping women ignorant of their reproductive health. If women knew which herbs to take to cause a miscarriage, these companies which manufacture contraceptive and birth control drugs would go out of business.
    Definitely. And, more than that... those "things" made of chemical compounds by the medical industry are so dangerous on long term... I know the example with the penicillin and the antibiotics, even the discoverer of penicillin realized, later, how dangerous his discovery was, and how much damage the antibiotics were really producing... but his later words did not receive too much publicity. I sometimes wonder how much of these is ignorance, just money-thirst, or a plan to keep people brainwashed, unhealthy and uninformed. It seems to be a combination of all those factors, actually.

The medical system is so corrupted, the medicines are just so destructive, and even if there are some people who want to be doctors or to do research for good purposes, for something better, they are deliberately kept improperly informed. However, there is access to information, that's one of the good parts of the world we live in, so people should do more to inform themselves and others about how things really are. We are served with misinformation, but we can still think for ourselves, and help others to do that, too.
    Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.