Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Pale Male from Darkest Africa

Hi everybody,

I came to this site because I was searching for the strumming guitar version of the Horst Wessel Lied.
    I'm very into history, and finding out so much about MY people and my global family of Germanic history. It's taken me a long time to make peace with myself after so much time in liberal academia. I did the hippy thing and wanted to be Native American or African ethno-bongo. But now I see that there wasn't a need for all that, we have a very rich tribal history, which our children are never taught (at least I wasn't).

In any case, the sheet music to the Horst Wessel Lied is easy to google. The popular guitar tabs and chords just won't appear. Anyway here's my simple guitar version of the Horst Wessel Lied. It's meant to be sung, with a steady marching beat.
    It's not that simple unless one is a good singer, but the timing is at best first a slow um-chaka, um-chaka strum:
    G C
    Die Fahne hoch, die reihen fest geschlossen
    D G
    SA marschiert im ruhigen fessten schritt
    G C F
    Kameraden die Rotfront und Reaktion erschossen
    G D G
    Weilen im Geist an unsern Seiten mit
    .... next verse

Well, that's my simple version that works for me (key may be a bit high, but according to the sheet music it is in G).
    Probably not everyone's interest (quite historical), but there was a request for it on this site, and that's how I found it, so I thought I'd share it.

Anyhow, that's little old me, a pale-male (well duh) of German descent living in South Africa. Despite the official discrimination I'm trying to stay positive and studying for a PhD in gender issues. Anything to stay sane.
    Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Last Online
    Thursday, June 1st, 2017 @ 11:07 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Saarland
    Subrace
    Alpanid/Nordid
    Country
    South Africa South Africa
    State
    Cape Province Cape Province
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    None, really-open minded.
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Friedrich

What a wonderful site!
    I'm still lurking a bit and becoming acquainted, but I've already read so many great threads and seen over an hour of fascinating film links.
    It seems a bit like coming "home".
    And how refreshing not to have constant "culture war" religious debates for stars or flags, or a Germanic thread where one must toe a line of rightwing/dodgy politics (which usually include sexism and homophobia).
    But it's also great to have that balance - where people can highlight views from a white position without being immediatetely labelled as "racist" on the one hand, or being pressured into a constant political corner on the other.
    PS. I was a little sad that the guitar chords I wrote above specific lyrics were all relegated to three letters at the start of every line. I suppose the empty spaces between are seen as errors on some programs. Since it's the only popular version of guitar chords for the Horst Wessel Lied (Die Fahne Hoch):
    (G) Die Fahne hoch, die Reihen fesst (C) geschlossen,
    SA (D) marschiert im ruhigen fessten (G) schritt.
    Kameraden (C) die Rottfront and Reaktion (F) Ershossen,
    Marschiern im (G) Geist in (D) unseren Reihen (G) mit.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Afrikaner
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Welcome to Skadi, Friedrich.

RE the "South African" in your profile: if you've shrugged off liberal influence, and distanced yourself from the constant pressure we experience in SA to become Afrophilic "white Africans", I'm sure you can appreciate the significance of identifying as something more descriptive (more tribal, if you will) than "South African", e.g. Afrikaner or Anglo-African. If it's a case of your home language being English (student + Cape Town = UCT?), but due to your ancestry don't consider yourself ethnically Anglo, even Germanic would be a more appropriate label for your Skadi profile's ethnicity field. (Let's not confuse the odd visitor to this site who still thinks all of Africa is all black.)

Another profile detail: subrace refers to this: http://forums.skadi.net/forumdisplay.php?f=497

Out of curiosity, how recent is your ancestry from Saarland? Also, what are your thoughts on how accommodating Cape Town is for preservationist and/or politically conservative Germanic South Africans nowadays?

If you have any questions about the forum, feel free to ask them here.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Saarland
    Subrace
    Alpanid/Nordid
    Country
    State
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Hi, thanks for the reply.
    My parents moved to Namibia (then SWA) from Neuenkirchen (Saar) in the 1970s, where I was born (I don't want give exact dates). They moved back to Neuenkirchen in the mid 1970s and then came to SA around 1980.
    All my uncles, cousins and one surviving grandparent are still in the Saarland.
    I went to a local Afrikaans school here in SA (albeit an English class), but we still speak German at home.
    I don't really distance myself from aspects of any white political position, it's just that many sites tend to throw out the baby with the bath water and split people further with issues like homophobia and sexism, when I believe that Germanic peoples have made great strides in those respects, and they mix in religious fundamentalism and third-world attitudes. I respect all peoples, but would also take position against affirmative action and many other direct issues that affect white people.

I was just starting to read the forum on the ethnicities. I don't think I'll get through it in this session.
    But you are correct, "South African" is more a location then an ethnicity.
    I will change it to Germanic (I'd gladly use something more local, but that's what I am. I love the Afrikaner people and also my Anglo friends, but I'm not one of them in the sense that we do share different histories).
    As for the Germans in Cape Town - most that I've met are very liberal and several have coloured wives or girlfriends. When my grandparents would still visit from Germany we met a different group in the 1980s, and I used to love going to the wine festival in Paarl, which had a great German men's choir. But that crowd is long gone or very old.

Then I received a private message in Afrikaans. I just need to check again who it's from, but I haven't got 15 posts and cannot reply directly.
    Where can I find it again?
    Last edited by Stormraaf; Monday, July 26th, 2010 at 01:31 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Saarland
    Subrace
    Alpanid/Nordid
    Country
    State
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Forgiveness, I've been on the site for hours and I wasn't expecting the sudden mail (although I'm delighted) - I'm a little slow and all over the place.
    You asked about how Cape Town is for conservative Germanic peoples? I first thought you meant Germans in particular, but I suppose that could refer to most of the local white community (I'm still adapting to some of the terminology).
    In the northern suburbs people are generally very conservative.
    People love to party and can be quite decadent in that way, and homeowners from other races are welcomed. But politically it is Volksfront, DA territory and we tend to avoid the townships for safety reasons.
    One does see increasing amounts of poor white people (who have a squatter camp in Kraaifontein) begging, and a worrying tendency lately is black cops from other areas coming to places like Durbanville and bullying people - there have been two vicious cases of assault against innocent whites during the past two weeks.

To the kind soul who sent me the Horst Wessel and other German music links:

Baie dankie, ek waardeer dit regtig.
    Ongelukkig kon ek net vinnig daarna loer, en het gedink dis op hierdie "thread".
    Ek hoop ek vind dit êrens weer.
    Of miskien kan dit hier geplaas word? Ek het nog nie my 15 "posts" nie, en het nie eers gedink dat persoonlike boodskappe sal werk nie.
    Jammer as ek nie jou ander vrae of punte nou kan onthou nie.
    Ek is maar nog nat agter die ore hierso!
    Last edited by Stormraaf; Monday, July 26th, 2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Lost in Melancholia
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Welcome here on Skadi forum, Friedrich. Best wishes from your old home country Germany.

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Saarland
    Subrace
    Alpanid/Nordid
    Country
    State
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Vielen Dank!
    Ich spreche und lese noch gern Deutsch, nur mitt der Rechtschreibung hauts nicht immer so hinn (shreibe oft fonetisch).

Having a moment between studies to say hi, and I must say having viewed some of the racial categorization material I'm really getting curious of my type.
    The East Alpine type seems to come closest to my round head and nose (which, while graceful from the front, leans up from the side).
    I'm really considering posting a photo where perhaps others can help.
    Considering the political situation here, I wonder if this advisable.
    If I did choose to so, how would it best be done, and can I remove it at a later stage?
    Just wondering.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Afrikaner
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    We do remove personal pictures by request. You'll find the answers to the rest of your questions here.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Saarland
    Subrace
    Alpanid/Nordid
    Country
    State
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Book review/addition:

Perhaps this may even be new thread material, and I'd like to share one or two of my favorite passages from the book: "Die Germanen" (Von Hans Reichert, Was ist Was Buch, Tessloff Verlag, Hamburg; 1978).

Seite 26:
    Den Runen verdanken wir, dass wir uns ungefaer vorstellen koennen, wie die germanische Sprache geklungen hat.
    Auf einem Lanzenschaft fand mann zum Beispiel eine Inschrifft, die in unserer Sprache heisst:
    "Ich, der Eruler, des Ansglisl Genosse heisse. Ich gebe Glueck. Lauthallendes Verderben weihe ich auf dem Speer."
    In unserem Alphabet uebertragen liest die Inschrift so:
    "Ek erlaz asugisalas muha haita ga ga ga gihu gahelija wiju bi g."
    So fremd uns diese Sprache klingt - sie ist die Urform des Hochdeutschen, das wir heute sprechen.

(My quick translation: We thank the runes that we can more or less imagine how the Germanic language sounded. On the shaft of a lance it stated: 'I the ruler of the Ansglisl (Angles?), I give luck. Long cries of tribulation I wish on this spear.' In modern alphabet that inscription would sound as follows: "Ek erlaz...". As strange as that language sounds to us, it is the prehistoric form of modern German).

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Saarland
    Subrace
    Alpanid/Nordid
    Country
    State
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Keep your head high

Keep your head high Germanic child,
    Wheresoever you are,
    Keep your head high.

Not sure why, but I listened to some Rasta music, and they tell their people: "Keep your head high".
    I listened to some Indian pow-wow, and they tell their people, keep your head high.

Who will tell the Germanic child?
    Keep your head high?
    Raise your head and walk tall.
    Your people made all this possible.
    So, put your shoulders back,
    Push your chest out,
    Look before you proudly and,
    Keep your head high.

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast