NS
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Man Held 2 Days 'for Nothing'

ohannesburg - A man claims he was "treated like a criminal for nothing" after he was allegedly kept in police custody for two nights without being charged.

The police arrested André van der Merwe, 50, from Crown Gardens last Saturday at the Oshoek border post after he and his wife Debbie, 47, wanted to go to Swaziland for a weekend getaway.

"When we wanted to have our passports stamped, I was told there was a warrant out for my arrest due to a drunken driving case and I was thrown into the cells."

Case thrown out in 2001

Van der Merwe apparently tried to explain that this matter had been concluded in 2001.

"The case was thrown out in 2001 in the Booysens Magistrate's Court because they couldn't find the docket."

Van der Merwe had to spend the night in the cells while his wife had to sleep in their car at the border post because she didn't know the way home.

"The Booysens police station was meant to fax the warrant to the border police but this never happened. I was only told that Booysens police would come and fetch me."

Two officials from the Booysens police station came to fetch him the next day at about 11:00.

"I begged them to allow my wife to drive behind us but they kept speeding and at one stage she had to call officials for directions."

Van der Merwe was taken to the Johannesburg Central police station where he had to spend the night in the cells.

"I was declared medically unfit to work due to several back operations and a hip replacement. I was in pain as I had to spend the night at the border sleeping crouched in a foetal position but they refused to have a doctor see me.

"One of the officials only pushed two pain tablets into my hand. All the while they couldn't show me the warrant."

A detective let him go on Monday morning without him being charged or appearing in court.

"The detective said they couldn't find the docket."

Civil case

Booysens police spokesperson Warrant Officer Gordon Billings said these kinds of incidents "happened from time to time".

"It sometimes happens that warrants and cases that have been concluded are not removed from the system, for whatever reason.

"Van der Merwe could make a civil case against police due to wrongful arrest if he wanted."

Van der Merwe said he couldn't afford to do this.

- Beeld
    Link: http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...thing-20100720

Last Online
    Friday, February 15th, 2019 @ 05:50 AM
    Ethnicity
    Afrikaner
    Ancestry
    Germany, Netherlands & Alsace
    Subrace
    Cromagnoid
    Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Politics
    NS
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    "The detective said they couldn't find the docket."
    This is the universal excuse being used by the Police in the new SA! It is also the same one being used by them if bribed by a criminal to make the case dissappear. I will leave you to make your own conlusion of what usually happens...