Religion
    Thelema
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thelema and LaVeyan Satanism: Your Opinion

Hello.

I remember that some 7, 8 years ago, before I got curious about Germanic myths and legends, I used to be or at least claim to be a LaVeyan Satanist... nowadays I claim to be mostly Thelemic, however still most of my knowledge on magic comes from LaVey, who I have read the works some 2 to 4 times now...

Anyway I would like to ask what is the opinion about Thelema and LaVeyan Satanism in general, is it dangerous or does it can be healthy to overall Germanic society and revivalism?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    The thing that is healthy about Satanism is that it encourages people think for themselves instead of going around seeking approval for their actions from "above", whether that approval be from a church hierarchy or "a man in the sky".

However LaVeyan Satanism seems to be rather too "sex-based" for my liking. Now while Sex is important, (we wouldn't be hear without it), I don't think it should be seen as the centre-point of all existence.

Love for instance, is a much more valuable and enriching experience than sex is.

I think what LaVeyan Satanism was largely about was providing a counter point to christianity. Where Christianity was anti-sex LaVeyan Satanism was pro-sex.

It was an attempt to take ex-Christians and break them of all of their Christian programming by letting them break many of the rules and taboos of that religion in an environment where the possible negative consequences would be limited.

It must have been a hell of a lot of fun for the guys at the top as well.

Is Satanism healthy for Society? Well I think you'd have to examine the lives of LaVeyan Satanists over the last 40 or so years, and compare them to the general population. Are they healthy physically/mentally? Do they lead happy and productive lives more so than the average person? Do they have children and do their children for the most part lead happy and productive lives?

I think that's how you'll find your answer.
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

Last Online
    Saturday, January 22nd, 2011 @ 07:18 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Celtic-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Scottish, Dutch and Greek
    Subrace
    Borreby
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    New South Wales New South Wales
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Meritocracy
    Religion
    Thelema
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horned God View Post
    Is Satanism healthy for Society? Well I think you'd have to examine the lives of LaVeyan Satanists over the last 40 or so years, and compare them to the general population. Are they healthy physically/mentally? Do they lead happy and productive lives more so than the average person? Do they have children and do their children for the most part lead happy and productive lives?
    Well LaVey himself is a very good example of what his religion would become... today it is very dogmatic, taken almost by the book, and at least in my opinion it as become just like Christianity, with it's black or satanic popes, priests and so on, preaching so much about a pseudo-atheistic Nietzschean faith.

My point is: it can or could have been healthy... most of LaVey ideas, like you said, where very innovative at the time. The problem for me however, and this is what lead me to start following Thelema instead of LaVeyan Satanism, is the way LaVey designed his religion... well, let's just say that he took the idea of Nietzsche of "Will to Power" way too literally. Still, I think it is a good place to start when it comes to Occultism, do you not think so?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
    Still, I think it is a good place to start when it comes to Occultism, do you not think so?
    If all you do is read about it and take from it whatever ideas you think can make a positive contribution to your own outlook, that should be fine.

However I 'd give the "church" itself and it's so called "Priests" a wide berth. First of all a lot of them are going to be cooks and crackpots. Secondly, if your membership of the church of Satanism were ever to become a matter of public record it could severely limit the range of professions you would be free to practice.
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

Last Online
    Saturday, January 22nd, 2011 @ 07:18 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Celtic-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Scottish, Dutch and Greek
    Subrace
    Borreby
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    New South Wales New South Wales
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Meritocracy
    Religion
    Thelema
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horned God View Post
    If all you do is read about it and take from it whatever ideas you think can make a positive contribution to your own outlook, that should be fine.

However I 'd give the "church" itself and it's so called "Priests" a wide berth. First of all a lot of them are going to be cooks and crackpots. Secondly, if your membership of the church of Satanism were ever to become a matter of public record it could severely limit the range of professions you would be free to practice.
    Uh, I think we have a little error in interpretation here... the religion that I claim to practice is Thelema, but as I stated, my knowledge of magic is mostly LaVeyan, so to some, that could put me into the Satanic sphere of things, but really I am rather Thelemic these days.

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 4th, 2010 @ 10:05 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Switzerland, England, Ukraine, ...
    Subrace
    Unsure
    Country
    United States United States
    with my soulmate
    Occupation
    a nice guy
    Politics
    ethnic national-anarchism
    Religion
    pagan science
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    complete garbage, both of them, in my honest opinion, and neither belong in white culture.

Last Online
    Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 @ 03:32 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway and Germany
    Subrace
    Scando nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Nordland Nordland
    Høvding
    Politics
    None
    Religion
    Norse gods customs culture
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well

Its BS all over. The "satanism" just confirms christianity, islam and judaism. Its like their bad brother wich they depend on..

Last Online
    Monday, May 29th, 2017 @ 10:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Denmark
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Schleswig-Holstein Schleswig-Holstein
    Reason
    Religion
    Science
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    s BS all over. The "satanism" just confirms christianity, islam and judaism. Its like their bad brother wich they depend on..
    I generally agree, but LaVeyan "satanism" (I really don't think it's a proper term) isn't what you may think it is. It's not a religion, but a mystic atheist philosophy. They don't believe in such things as the existance of god or the devil.
    "Lever dot as slav."

Last Online
    Sunday, July 22nd, 2012 @ 08:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Ireland, and Wales
    Country
    United States United States
    Cultist
    Politics
    Cthulhic
    Religion
    LHP
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Crowley was a practitioner of the right hand path, meaning his ultimate goal was the submerging of his consciousness back into the Pleroma. This of course meant the total extinction of conscious individuality for himself and anyone else nutty enough to go along with his teachings.

Dr. LaVey was, by contrast, a practitioner of the left hand path, meaning he believed that the individual was his own highest god. Now as to just what exactly Dr. LaVey believed in regard to applying GBM (greater black magic) to achieving that end is something of a mystery, in that he seems to have had some very private views on the subject that he didn't make public.

As for the "healthiness" of Thelema and Satanism, that is a pretty subjective thing in itself. If someone finds Crowley's Law of Thelema to be helpful for them in achieving a better quality of life, then I say more power to them. Personally, I think anyone whose ultimate aim it is is to exterminate their consciousnesses by submerging it back into the Pleroma is nuts, but that's just me. And while I can't say I know any Thelemites myself, I do know a LOT of CoS people, and I can say they are all healthy and productive members of society.
    Omnia risus et omnis pulvis et omnia nihil - HPL

"Oh, you should never, never doubt what nobody is sure about." - Willy Wonka

“niemand bleibt hier” - Maria Orsic

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 30th, 2019 @ 08:33 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    When I was out of college and finding out that the world wasn't quite what i had expected (major disillusionment!), I turned to LeVeyan Satanism for a time.

As some people said, it has nothing to do with the Gothic Satanism of Hollywood fiction. They see the Devil as a metaphor for sides of human existence repressed by organized religion in general (and Christianity in particular). They feel essentially that consenting adults should be free to satisfy their carnal and intellectual desires with each other, and that Christian values like chastity, humility and mercy are antithetical to an active and worthwhile human existence.

As a philosophy, I have seen much worse. In fact, I broadly agree with their anti-Christian message. However, I simply find those values a lot better expressed in traditional pre-Christian religions like Heathenry. Oh, I also happen to believe in deities and ghosts and other things, and most LeVeyan Satanists are militant atheists.

The main problem with Satanism is that most of its members come across as posers. A lot of them are inwardly fragile and worthless people who use Satanic imagery to project an aura of confidence and power they inwardly lack (and maybe they like getting attention, too). If you happen to meet one of the few Satanists who is genuine and not a shock-jock, they can be interesting people to know. But on the whole, I feel it is basically for people who have left Christianity but have not (yet) discovered something more worthwhile.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast