Country
    Other Other
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Regarding the South Africa squad: Yes, it is indeed so, that the entire 23-head-squad has only a single White player, that being Matthew Booth, who didn't get to play yesterday. Since Angola didn't qualify this time around, they are bound to make the race for "Nation with the closest amount of Whites in the starting squad when compared to France".
    In South African rugby theres a quota system where they have to play a certain amount of Blacks on the team because its mostly White players. It looks like theres different rules for Black soccer team.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 05:52 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Nordish Preservationist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Grimner I am from more of a rugby nation too (at least amongst Anglos).

Your old Springboks had few but every time I watch the Springboks I see another black or coloured player:

Habana, Aplon, Basson, De Jongh, Januarie, Kirchner, Ralepelle and Miku etc

It seems it is a matter of time before it ends up like your soccer side.

Interestingly Clyde Rathbone who had fears about safety in South Africa and was (I heard) unsure if he could make the Springbok side with the affirmative action laws, was heavily criticized in much of the South African press for playing for Australia, especially when in the tri nations he rubbed salt into the South African wounds by scoring a match-winning try against his former countrymen.

In the soccer I think England have the potential to win (even though they will probably bomb out towards the end as usual), so I think I will go for the mother land, although I hate how few real Britons are in the side, but at least the captain is one and the main point scorer in Rooney who is very British.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, August 16th, 2019 @ 06:42 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimner View Post
    I noticed that Klose's father is from an ethnic German family however on his mother side he appears to be polish? Anyhow with a name like Miroslav it is rather easy to jump to conclusions...
    That forename means nothing, in fact as little as the "original" Polish surname spelling, Kloze. Officially, in communist Poland, there was no such thing as ethnic Germans in Silesia, and those that were there had to undergo forceful Polonisation.

This included surnames, and even forenames. The district registrar simply wouldn't have accepted it if you'd called your name something like Siegfried or Hildegard.

Germany created so much scoring opportunities that the score could easily have be 6 or 7 - 0 and that is no embellishment, I think the fact that the Germans had such a young energetic team really sealed the Socceroos fate...
    I have seen 26 teams play 13 games, and Germany was the only convincing team thus far throughout the length of a game. The amount of draws (six!) at this stage, and the fact that the Germany-Australia game was the only (!) game thus far where more than two goals were scored speaks volumes about how attractive this new "midfield-defending" really is.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Sunday, June 17th, 2018 @ 06:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Great result for the All Whites!

This is completely unfounded, but I'm forever going to associate New Zealand with curly hair from now on. I noticed two Kiwi players with curly hair today. Here's a picture of Simon Elliot

And here's Tony Lochead, who was educated and played college football (soccer) at UC Santa Barbara in the USA. You're welcome

And here's NBA basketball player and Kiwi Sean Marks:

So now, when I think of New Zealand I think of a big mop of curly blonde hair.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 05:52 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Nordish Preservationist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    The guy who scored the winning goal for the all whites was Winston Reid who is Maori. He used to play for the Danish U -21 side but switched to NZ probably because he would get into the side easier.

The all whites are not that white after all, but as much as it pains me to say it the kiwis played a great game last night.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, May 6th, 2019 @ 06:52 PM
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Netherlands, Germany & Norway
    Subrace
    Faordiby
    State
    Orange Free State Orange Free State
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Cognitive Dissident
    Politics
    Verwoerdian
    Religion
    Heretic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Congratulations to Switzerland for an upset of note. Pity about the scorer...

I also thought North Korea performed rather well against Brazil. The North Koreans appear much more Chinese looking then their Southern Counterparts whom appear to have more of a Japanese influence, no wonder the divide...
    Although the word "Commando" was wrongly used to describe all Boer soldiers, a commando was a unit formed from a particular district. None of the units was organized in regular companies, battalions or squadrons. The Boer commandos were individualists who were difficult to control, resented formal discipline or orders, and earned a British jibe that"every Boer was his own general".

Last Online
    Wednesday, May 9th, 2012 @ 11:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    German
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Oh, poor France.

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 @ 05:22 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardisten View Post
    Oh, poor France.
    That was really a highlight of my day :p Vengeance for Ireland I guess haha.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 4th, 2018 @ 02:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid/Atlantid
    Country
    Dominion of Canada Dominion of Canada
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Traditionalist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    I'm sort of half-heartedly supporting the "Germany" team. Basically said, I'll be happy and all dancy if Germany wins the World Cup, but TBH it's not going to be the same identification than with the almost all-German team that I saw winning the Euro '96 as a young boy.
    This bothers me, as Germany is always my second team at the World Cup and European Championship (England first, of course ). England has long be heading the way of France in fielding a pan-African squad, but I remember really getting behind Germany during WC 2002 after England was knocked out by Brazil, and the whole team, with maybe one exception, were native-bred ethnic Germans. Now much of the lineup are Turks and pseudo-Poles.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, when England will hammer Algeria on the road to a first place finish, and Germany sends Serbia packing.

Last Online
    Wednesday, May 9th, 2012 @ 11:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    German
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Hmmm... what's going on here? Ethnically homogenous teams from smaller countries are giving the "diverse" teams of the traditional soccer powers a run for their money. Or even beating them. Serbia 1-0 over Germany?!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast