Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: A Wild LadyFirehawk Appears!

  1. #1
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Saturday, December 25th, 2010 @ 05:27 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian/Anglo-Saxon
    Ancestry
    Norway/Sweden/Wales/other Germanic
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Washington Washington
    Location
    Oly
    Gender
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Veteran/Student
    Politics
    Independent (not the party)
    Religion
    Fledgling Heathen
    Posts
    27
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Cool A Wild LadyFirehawk Appears!

    Yes, I made an overused Pokemon reference in my thread title. I suppose it comes of being a gamer and really having only that particular subculture to draw off of, seeing as the USA lacks much in the way of unified culture. Unfortunately this means I'm a little more vague than I'd like to be about my heritage; I don't know exactly what traces out of where, only that it is almost completely Scandinavian and/or Anglo-Saxon in origin. (With some German thrown in for good measure, and some Celtic while we're at it.)

    Anyway, I have only recently ditched Christianity, as it has truly felt rather foreign to me for all the time I've practiced it, and turned to heathenry as a means of combating the rootlessness that seems so endemic to many Americans these days. (And, by extension, my own disconnect from my ancestry.) It seems just about everyone besides Germanic-descended Americans is allowed some sort of cultural or ancestral pride; however, if we of Germanic descent claim to be proud of our ancestry, suddenly we're racist. Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

    Most of my closest friends throughout the years have had strong cultural identities, all of which I admired in different ways but none of which I could personally identify with. Although I am not really one to look down my nose at other people, the Wiccan cafeteria approach to spirituality has always somewhat rubbed me the wrong way-- even if some of the ideals of other cultural groups speak to me, it seems wrong to appropriate them; around here, in Western Washington, Amerindian spirituality seems to be one of the worst victims of that appropriation. Have we truly become so lost that we must steal the ways of others? Although I would have few compunctions against sitting in on, say, a Vodoun ceremony, or a tribal drum circle, I am conscious that it would always be as an outsider, albeit one who was invited. What ways do I get to call my own?

    I don't know the answer to that just yet, as this is the start of what promises to be a very long journey. For the moment I'm trying to focus on surviving college with my personal integrity intact; although many of my friends are left-wingers, SOMEONE has to throw that bone of contention in there to get them all to think outside the box, and that someone may as well be me! All this 'global oneness' junk really grinds my gears, and reading Steve McNallen's Fire and the Fog truly struck a chord.

    As to me, I play a lot of tabletop RPGs, the occasional bit of World of Warcraft, write primarily science fiction and dabble in various handicrafts as the mood strikes me. (Although I unfortunately have not stuck with any particular craft long enough to get good at it...) Unfortunately, being so interested in so many things also makes it extremely hard to find a coherent direction so I am now stuck in the unenviable position of determining which of several sciences I ought to pursue.

    If you read all this randomness and do NOT want to throw things at me yet, have a cookie. (The Internet kind, but not THAT Internet kind.) Unfortunately, I'm still tinkering with the gluten-free version to make them taste decent, so they are not available quite yet...

  2. #2
    Lost in Melancholia
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Thusnelda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Location
    Over the hills and far away
    Gender
    Age
    35
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Posts
    4,392
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    72
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Have a warm welcome LadyFirehawk! I´ve to say that I found your introduction extraordinarily interesting and informative. Thanks for sharing some bits of your own history and uncertainties regarding your new fate and the question about how to cope with the lack of culture in today´s America.

    I´m pretty sure that we can help you on your way to find more security and confidence, both in matters of heathendom and in matters of cultural and ethnical preservation. You´ll find an almost overwhelmingly section about heathendom in our board. Don´t hold back any question you may have. There are no stupid question but only stupid answers and we have a lot of very bright and educated members.

    Well, I like RPGs as well. My favourites are Neverwinter Nights, Planescape Torment and Dragon Age!

    "Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Saturday, December 25th, 2010 @ 05:27 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian/Anglo-Saxon
    Ancestry
    Norway/Sweden/Wales/other Germanic
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Washington Washington
    Location
    Oly
    Gender
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Veteran/Student
    Politics
    Independent (not the party)
    Religion
    Fledgling Heathen
    Posts
    27
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks for the welcome, Thusnelda!

    I know a number of people who would probably mistake this for a hate site, yet they would roundly praise cultural and ethnic preservation sites of any OTHER sort. (My mother included, alas; we've had some fights over our conflicting ideals. She's muuuuch more idealistic and left-wing than I am.) Yes, I'd be the first to admit that there are some pretty screwed up things in my ancestry-- I don't think there is a single culture on earth that could claim otherwise; the ones we don't know about just have good PR-- but by the gods there are plenty of OTHER things to take pride in and those things should be perpetuated! (I'm just in no position to do so yet; for the moment I'm contenting myself with providing a strong heathen influence for my two-year-old half-brother! May he NEVER grow up ashamed of his Germanic roots.)

    Also, I totally recognized that Aribeth picture in your sig. Awesome. I haven't played Dragon Age yet, but many of my friends do and it's making me want to...

  4. #4
    Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Florian Geyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    Sunday, October 13th, 2019 @ 08:16 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, distant Scottish
    Country
    England England
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Location
    North Riding
    Gender
    Age
    53
    Family
    Married parent
    Politics
    National Socialism
    Posts
    490
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    7
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thusnelda View Post
    Well, I like RPGs as well. My favourites are Neverwinter Nights, Planescape Torment and Dragon Age!
    Welcome LadyFirehawk. As for RPGs - only FFXI these days.

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Online
    Wednesday, March 30th, 2011 @ 10:07 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Gender
    Posts
    226
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Welcome to Skadi, LadyFirehawk. I am something of a gamer as well, as is probably obvious from my username and avatar.

  6. #6
    Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    OneWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 10:50 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Location
    Tulsa,Oklahoma
    Gender
    Age
    43
    Posts
    772
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Welcome to Skadi. I to love RPG's.Bought me a Playstation 3 last week and
    have been hooked on Dragon Age Origins.Final Fantasy 7 and Zelda are my
    absolute favorites though!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    arcticdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 31st, 2018 @ 03:05 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    england,france,norway,germany
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Alaska Alaska
    Gender
    Family
    Grandparent
    Occupation
    Medical Doctor
    Politics
    National Socialism
    Religion
    The Old Religion
    Posts
    240
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    RPG's

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyFirehawk View Post
    Yes, I made an overused Pokemon reference in my thread title. I suppose it comes of being a gamer and really having only that particular subculture to draw off of, seeing as the USA lacks much in the way of unified culture. Unfortunately this means I'm a little more vague than I'd like to be about my heritage; I don't know exactly what traces out of where, only that it is almost completely Scandinavian and/or Anglo-Saxon in origin. (With some German thrown in for good measure, and some Celtic while we're at it.)

    Anyway, I have only recently ditched Christianity, as it has truly felt rather foreign to me for all the time I've practiced it, and turned to heathenry as a means of combating the rootlessness that seems so endemic to many Americans these days. (And, by extension, my own disconnect from my ancestry.) It seems just about everyone besides Germanic-descended Americans is allowed some sort of cultural or ancestral pride; however, if we of Germanic descent claim to be proud of our ancestry, suddenly we're racist. Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

    Most of my closest friends throughout the years have had strong cultural identities, all of which I admired in different ways but none of which I could personally identify with. Although I am not really one to look down my nose at other people, the Wiccan cafeteria approach to spirituality has always somewhat rubbed me the wrong way-- even if some of the ideals of other cultural groups speak to me, it seems wrong to appropriate them; around here, in Western Washington, Amerindian spirituality seems to be one of the worst victims of that appropriation. Have we truly become so lost that we must steal the ways of others? Although I would have few compunctions against sitting in on, say, a Vodoun ceremony, or a tribal drum circle, I am conscious that it would always be as an outsider, albeit one who was invited. What ways do I get to call my own?

    I don't know the answer to that just yet, as this is the start of what promises to be a very long journey. For the moment I'm trying to focus on surviving college with my personal integrity intact; although many of my friends are left-wingers, SOMEONE has to throw that bone of contention in there to get them all to think outside the box, and that someone may as well be me! All this 'global oneness' junk really grinds my gears, and reading Steve McNallen's Fire and the Fog truly struck a chord.

    As to me, I play a lot of tabletop RPGs, the occasional bit of World of Warcraft, write primarily science fiction and dabble in various handicrafts as the mood strikes me. (Although I unfortunately have not stuck with any particular craft long enough to get good at it...) Unfortunately, being so interested in so many things also makes it extremely hard to find a coherent direction so I am now stuck in the unenviable position of determining which of several sciences I ought to pursue.

    If you read all this randomness and do NOT want to throw things at me yet, have a cookie. (The Internet kind, but not THAT Internet kind.) Unfortunately, I'm still tinkering with the gluten-free version to make them taste decent, so they are not available quite yet...
    Would that be Rocket Propelled Grenades? Sign me up!
    Illegitimi non Carborundum ! Coitus non Circum !
    Ex Gladio Libertas ! Μολών λαβέ !
    Si vis pacem, Para bellum !
    'All Political Power Grows out of the Barrel of a Gun' Chairman Mao

  8. #8
    Germania incognita
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Hersir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Location
    Norway
    Gender
    Age
    33
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Posts
    6,153
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,258
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    939
    Thanked in
    437 Posts
    Welcome!
    Name:  yGVXT.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  359.2 KB

    "Make strong old dreams lest our world lose heart." -Ezra Pound



    Support Skadi forum



  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Saturday, December 25th, 2010 @ 05:27 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian/Anglo-Saxon
    Ancestry
    Norway/Sweden/Wales/other Germanic
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Washington Washington
    Location
    Oly
    Gender
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Veteran/Student
    Politics
    Independent (not the party)
    Religion
    Fledgling Heathen
    Posts
    27
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hersir wins this thread. I may have just died of laughter.

    Masterfully played!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
    --Robert A. Heinlein

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Goomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    Tuesday, February 14th, 2012 @ 06:57 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Germanic/Celtic
    Ancestry
    British Isles / Germany / Netherlands / Norway / France
    Subrace
    Borreby/CM
    Country
    United States United States
    Gender
    Family
    Happily Married w/kids
    Occupation
    Professional
    Politics
    My own
    Religion
    Agnostic with Pagan leanings
    Posts
    735
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    9
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyFirehawk View Post
    Thanks for the welcome, Thusnelda!

    I know a number of people who would probably mistake this for a hate site, yet they would roundly praise cultural and ethnic preservation sites of any OTHER sort. (My mother included, alas; we've had some fights over our conflicting ideals. She's muuuuch more idealistic and left-wing than I am.) Yes, I'd be the first to admit that there are some pretty screwed up things in my ancestry-- I don't think there is a single culture on earth that could claim otherwise; the ones we don't know about just have good PR-- but by the gods there are plenty of OTHER things to take pride in and those things should be perpetuated! (I'm just in no position to do so yet; for the moment I'm contenting myself with providing a strong heathen influence for my two-year-old half-brother! May he NEVER grow up ashamed of his Germanic roots.)

    Also, I totally recognized that Aribeth picture in your sig. Awesome. I haven't played Dragon Age yet, but many of my friends do and it's making me want to...

    Ummm.....hate to break it to you there.....but you must not know your mother very well

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Why Does Completely Unpigmented Hair Appears Yellowish Sometimes?
    By blakemartin in forum Bio-Anthropology & Human Variation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Thursday, October 28th, 2010, 02:00 PM
  2. UFO Shape Cloud Appears Over Moscow!
    By frippardthree in forum Alternative Sciences
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Wednesday, October 14th, 2009, 05:19 AM
  3. TV Series About South Africa (Wild at Heart, Life is Wild)
    By Siebenbürgerin in forum Film, TV, & Performing Arts
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Sunday, July 26th, 2009, 12:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •