Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyriusz View Post
    If the Celtic addition is of good genetic stock - it would be quite the opposite of devastating for our communities.
    That depends on what you mean by 'good genetic stock'. If you mean 'complimentary to both genetic health and phenotype of the native population' - sure, I agree with you.

Both the North European population and the North-East Asian population is if 'good genetic stock'. That doesn't mean it would be wise for them to interbreed. I hope you see my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyriusz View Post
    And your comparison with East-Asians is not fitting - because they are unassimilable (at least into the germanic societies).
    I disagree. Do you have any evidence that proves this or points in the direction of your claim?

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 07:37 AM
    Ethnicity
    Vinlandic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 1/4 Norwegian, 1/4 Irish
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blóš ok Andi View Post
    I disagree. Do you have any evidence that proves this or points in the direction of your claim?
    You both contradicted yourself and answered your own question in the same post:

That doesn't mean it would be wise for them to interbreed. I hope you see my point.
    — Always outnumbered but never outclassed —

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    24 Minutes Ago @ 07:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Y-DNA
    I1a1
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingSon View Post
    You both contradicted yourself and answered your own question in the same post:
    Maybe my choice of words was poor. What I should have said was 'breeding between North Europeans and North-East Asians is unpreferable'. Nevertheless, I think it is very much possible to fully assimilate most North-Asians into any "Germanic society" (Does there really exist any Germanic societies anymore?), if neither party is reluctant to do so.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 07:37 AM
    Ethnicity
    Vinlandic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 1/4 Norwegian, 1/4 Irish
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Maybe my choice of words was poor. What I should have said was 'breeding between North Europeans and North-East Asians is unpreferable'. Nevertheless, I think it is very much possible to fully assimilate most North-Asians into any "Germanic society" (Does there really exist any Germanic societies anymore?), if neither party is reluctant to do so.
    Well, aside from the nauseating thought of seeing little Japanese men pairing off with our lovely northern European women, there are mental and spiritual considerations that need to be taken into account. Just because east Asians were able to imitate parts of our culture with great success, they still have the souls of an alien race. The different way in which they tend to view nature and treat animals is one example of how we differ.

I've known plenty of east Asian "Americans" who on the surface are very assimilated into American society. They're often decent people, but I'm just not as comfortable around them as I am around European Americans. It's actually rather hard to explain, but there is indeed a difference.
    — Always outnumbered but never outclassed —

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    24 Minutes Ago @ 07:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Y-DNA
    I1a1
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingSon View Post
    Well, aside from the nauseating thought of seeing little Japanese men pairing off with our lovely northern European women, there are mental and spiritual considerations that need to be taken into account.
    Agreed.

I don't want to see the beauty of the Nordic race compromised by anyone. And I mean anyone.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by celticviking View Post
    I was going to have a tall , blue eyed, long blonde hair viking hunting deer and he sees a Pale skin, blue/green eyes and blond irish girl.
    The "lovers meeting in the woods" thing is cute but I think we've all heard it before. It's in Tolkein, it's in Greek Myth, it's in Celtic myth. I'd consider a different kind of meeting, one that's less common. Perhaps he's fishing at dusk in a coracle tethered to a tree branch by the edge of a lake. He is aware of nothing except the bobbing of the float in the water and the rocking of the coracle. Suddenly he feels the coracle tip backwards as a shadow falls across the small boat.He turns his head just in time to see a dark figure looming above him and the glint of metal of a blade raised high, poised and ready to strike...

I'd have her with dark brown or red hair. Blond hair exists in Ireland but dark hair is a lot more common.

Or you could turn it around and have a dark haired Viking and a Blond Irish girl. You want to try and avoid cliché as much as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by celticviking View Post
    Some characters with red and brown hair, I don't know about brown eyes.
    Don't be afraid of having brown eyed characters. A Viking could have hazel eyes and light brown hair tied in plats and ringlets and a strong jaw. He could walk with a powerful stride albeit on with slightly bowed legs from having had rickets as a child.

Mature vikings had usually acquired at least one chronic medical complaint or serious injury by the time they reached adulthood. It was a testament to their fortitude and courage that they still managed to invade most of Northern europe in spite of their afflictions.

Btw, someone suggested you include a foreword stating that the story was not intended to be seen as promoting ethnic mixing... Do not do this if you plan submitting the story for general publication!

If it is only meant to be read on skadi or by other preservationist minded readers then fine.
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

Eala Freia Fresena
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, July 29th, 2019 @ 12:24 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Friese
    Ancestry
    Friesland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Montana Montana
    Married
    Occupation
    selfemployed
    Politics
    rightwing
    Religion
    none/pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I don't know whether it is true but usually the overflow sons have been sent on raids. If there is only one Hof to give to the heir and you don't want to split (always a bad idea) then the 2nd, 3rd son and so on has to do something. (unless the Hof is given to the youngest one like in Friesland)

Going on a raid to make some money, have some fun with foreign girls and gain a reputation then come back and by a boat and do the raidings on your own, (escape the hard work of a farmer) would be sensible.

If he falls in love (people who are young are somewhat naiv), most likely the girl has some amibitions for her future husband, involving status, a big farm, and enough monies to garanty a carefree life for her and her children.

So either the girl is poor and has no bindings to family, or the guy has to struggle to win the hand of the daughter through some fighting, buying power or whatever makes him a good family asset for the father of the bride.

Of course it can also be that the girl is a bad one and runs away with the guy to Iceland. (taking a big risk, never trust the promises of a raiding viking). So that would be more the case if she is extremely beautiful but from a poor peasant stock. But I think those girls might be practical and willing to do some hard work to build a farm in Iceland.

Put some omens and strange signs into the play, predictions by a Vala. Storms which almost capsize the boat, family drama: Mother likes future husband but father thinks his girl is better to marry to a rich/powerful guy. Ofcourse he is old and the girl doesn't like it.

Seems like a lot of fun.

Would like to see the result of your work.
    weel nich will dieken dej mot wieken

Last Online
    Friday, May 6th, 2011 @ 08:10 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian English and Swedish
    Ancestry
    Nowegian English father ,Swedish mother
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs Up

Thinking of a time line, focus on the middle, but of course you can mention the start of the viking age and the end.

About the Grandfather reading/telling a story to the children
    you could name the chapter something like 1000 years later.
    Like in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows at the end the chapter is called 19 years later.

a child could ask "What happened to the Vikings"
    and the Grandfather replies " 1066 Normans lead by William 1 defeated them"
    "Will you tell us the story?"
    "Another time, now you must go to sleep little one" The grand father says than he closes the door and goes down stairs, he looks up at the wall to see an old viking song " I will always Remember"

Something like that

Last Online
    Thursday, September 23rd, 2010 @ 05:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Historical fiction for this age is the bulk of what I read. Its not a frequently enough explored era and I wish there were more novels and sagas written about it. We have a dearth of writers nowadays unwilling to reach back into the past and bring it to life again. But I did read some quite good Viking stories this past year. I say if you want the challenge of writing one be sure and do lots of research. A lot of writers are eager to jump right in and start hammering out a story without having done enough background exploration into the facts of the time period. Authenticity is key. Good luck!

Last Online
    Saturday, July 28th, 2012 @ 03:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Scotland, Ireland, England
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That depends on what you mean by 'good genetic stock'. If you mean 'complimentary to both genetic health and phenotype of the native population' - sure, I agree with you.

Both the North European population and the North-East Asian population is if 'good genetic stock'. That doesn't mean it would be wise for them to interbreed. I hope you see my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyriusz
    And your comparison with East-Asians is not fitting - because they are unassimilable (at least into the germanic societies).
    Quote Originally Posted by Blóš ok Andi
    Hm maybe because they're of a completely different race fool. Are you seriously likening intra North West European groups being involved with one another to that of a NW individual of a specific ethnic group being involved with someone of an entirely separate and different race? Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Blóš ok Andi
    Nevertheless, I think it is very much possible to fully assimilate most North-Asians into any "Germanic society" (Does there really exist any Germanic societies anymore?), if neither party is reluctant to do so.
    How can you assimilate something which is physically different from the rest? Can you assimilate an orange into a bowl of apples?

I am also curious, what amount of your ancestry is of Finnish origin, Blóš ok Andi? A grandparent? Maybe a great grandparent? etc

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast