Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    665 Posts

Konrad Zuse, Inventor of the Computer

Konrad Zuse (June 22 1910 - Dec 18 1995) is the inventor of the computers as we know them today

His greatest achievement was the world's first functional program-controlled Turing-complete computer, the Z3, in 1941 (the program was stored on a punched tape). He received the Werner-von-Siemens-Ring in 1964 for the Z3. His S2 computing machine is considered the first process-controlled computer, which was used to help develop the Henschel Werke Hs 293 and Hs 294, which were precursors to the modern cruise missile. It is also considered one of the first analog-to-digital converters.

Zuse also designed the first high-level programming language, Plankalkül, first published in 1948, although this was a theoretical contribution, since the language was not implemented in his lifetime and did not directly influence early languages. One of the inventors of ALGOL (Rutishauser) wrote: "The very first attempt to devise an algorithmic language was undertaken in 1948 by K. Zuse. His notation was quite general, but the proposal never attained the consideration it deserved.
    continued

This page offers some images and history (mostly German though)
    Ein Leben ist nichts, deine Sprosse sind alles
    Aller Sturm nimmt nichts, weil dein Wurzelgriff zu stark ist
    und endet meine Frist, weiss ich dass du noch da bist
    Gefürchtet von der Zeit, mein Baum, mein Stamm in Ewigkeit

my signature

Lost in Melancholia
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siđr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    That man deserves all honour. Maybe we wouldn´t sit here and write posts on Skadi without him. He´s one of the most underrated inventors ever. Less people know his name and something about his importance.

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

„Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Wednesday, September 30th, 2020 @ 10:35 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    277 Posts
    Yes, I was happy to read about him in the newspaper recently as well, so at least here he hasn't been completely forgotten. Mostly forgotten, but not completely forgotten.

Zuse is one of the many cases that show what high intellectual potential there was in Germany between the wars, during WWII, and directly after the war; many sources often love to claim that the NS leadership "did a good job of getting rid of all its brain" by reference to some Jewish scientists; what is often forgotten are certain research projects, and actual technical projects that were decades ahead of their time.

Much information was stolen or went to America by sale in the period directly after the war, helping to cement its leading position in the advent of the technical age. What is all too oft forgotten is that much of this potential is derive from the work of German scientists; I wouldn't be surprised actually if - had things turned out differently - we would be some 20 years ahead in terms of inventions nowadays owing to German heads.

(We still are oft owing to German heads, as many notable inventions in the computing industry; virtually all graphics-programming; virtually all game-conceptualisation; has some German-born working for an American company somewhere high up the hierarchy. )
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Lost in Melancholia
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siđr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 07:28 AM
    Ethnicity
    Vinlandic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 1/4 Norwegian, 1/4 Irish
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    (We still are oft owing to German heads, as many notable inventions in the computing industry; virtually all graphics-programming; virtually all game-conceptualisation; has some German-born working for an American company somewhere high up the hierarchy. )
    Of course, German influence on science and technology in America is even more profound if you factor in Americans with German blood.

Although I hate to say it, my father isn't as Bavarian as I had thought (owing to my confusion about the differences between Bavaria and Franconia), but nevertheless he is of pure German blood, and if I told you his name, you could plug it into Google and find several research articles he has written and had published in a preeminent, internationally-renowned, scientific journal in his field (actually, I also have a sibling who recently had an article published in a journal related to another area of hard science). He's not like a Werner von Braun or anything, but over the years he has received correspondence from all around the world from others in his field asking for advice. Back in the 1980s he even received a few letters from East German researchers.

As far as I know, there are no famous people in my family; we derive exclusively from the peasantry. My dad was the first person in his family to finish high school (and of course attend university) because before him nobody had the opportunity, yet now he's at the top of a most honorable scientific profession. He's also extremely artistically gifted. One sometimes has to wonder how much talent was squandered over the centuries by the rigid German class system, but in any case I am convinced that he owes all of his talents to high-quality Teutonic blood, and this conviction played a key role in leading me to find and join a site like Skadi!

— Always outnumbered but never outclassed —

Last Online
    Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 @ 07:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ancestry
    British Isles/Germany/Sweden/Netherlands
    Subrace
    Trřnder
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Right
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thusnelda View Post
    That man deserves all honour. Maybe we wouldn´t sit here and write posts on Skadi without him. He´s one of the most underrated inventors ever. Less people know his name and something about his importance.
    You hit the nail on the head. He is probably on of the most important inventors of the 20th century, but most people don't even know his name. There is a whole spectrum of technology that is a direct result of his computer invention.