State
    Vienna Vienna
    Nationalist-libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hand Sanitizers

I recently bought a hand sanitizer from Lysoform called "Fresh Hands" which claims to "wash your hands without soap and water". You just squirt a small amount onto your hands, rub them together and feel fresh again. Hand sanitizers have become popular with many people especially when traveling.

My questions are:
    Do you use hand sanitizers?
    How effective are they? For example, on the label of mine it says it kills 99,9 % of bacteria.
    Can they really be a substitute for soap and water if your hands are visibly dirty? I noticed if my hands become visibly dirty and I use it (for example when I got some mud from the car on my finger after it rained) they aren't really "washed without soap and water" as the label claims.
    Most hand sanitizers contain alcohol as far as I've heard, and can dry your hands, yet some of them claim to moisturize your hands. Is there something about this I'm missing?
    THINK! It's not illegal yet.

Germania incognita
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    I dont use them myself, but I have seen them used many places.
    It's better to challenge your immune system so it remains strong, I think. But during a epidemic I would consider using hand sanitizer.

"Make strong old dreams lest our world lose heart." -Ezra Pound

Support Skadi forum

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Monday, May 9th, 2016 @ 04:50 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German (7/16), Norvegian from Telemark (1/4), Irish (1/8), French (1/8), Flemish? (1/16)
    Subrace
    Alpine/Nordish/Faelid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Minnesota Minnesota
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    German supremacist
    Religion
    Holy Bible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Alcohol based hand sanitizers have become extremely popular over the years with threats of H1N1 and other viruses, and they have been claimed to be effective. I've seen them a lot, but I'm still not quite sure whether or not they actually work or can be subsituted for hand washing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sissi View Post
    How effective are they? For example, on the label of mine it says it kills 99,9 % of bacteria.

Maybe, but personally, I think that claim sounds almost too good to be true because the war on germs is supposed a laborous task involving seconds of vigorous friction between the two hands with vigorously lathered soap and warm water to be successful. I do use hand sanitizers sometimes, but only when my hands are minimally dirty, from say, touching everyday household objects or when there is no wash basin available. I think of hand sanatizers more for preventing the spread of germs rather then a substitute for handwarsching.

Can they really be a substitute for soap and water if your hands are visibly dirty?
    No. If your hands are visibly dirty, you will definitely need to use soap and water to remove all dirt. Experts have recommended for alcohol based hand sanatizers, but that is only if your hands are not visibly soiled they are effective. For soiled hands, soap and water is recommended. You are correct that they aren't "washed without soap and water", as it takes soap and water to warsch visibly unclean hands. Hand sanitizers are good for after touching everyday household objects, and preventing the spread of germs and when your hands are not visibly stained, but for things that are especially dirty jobs where one is exposed to very high levels of bacteria like handling raw meats or handling the sick, or conact with body fluids, alcohol hand sanatizers cannot clean that effectively and that takes soap and water.

Try googling things like "hand sanitizer", and "how effective are hand sanitizers" or "can hand sanitizers dry your hands", etc. You are likely to find most of the answers you're looking for, but your likely to come across multiple different answers and will have to decide which ones you agree with most. Personally I would believe the ones from reputable sources and use scientific evidence to back up their claims.

Sometimes in the fall and winter season when viruses are going around like a wildfire and everyone's dropping sick, I will wash hands with soap and water, and then some hand sanatizer for extra protection, especially in public places.

I have also heard bacteria can create a resistance to the active ingredient in antibacterial products, therefore making the germs harder to kill in the future from excessive using of antibacteral products. But like Hersir commented, in an epedemic its a good idea to use the best level of protection possible. So keep these facts in mind.

Most hand sanitizers contain alcohol as far as I've heard, and can dry your hands, yet some of them claim to moisturize your hands. Is there something about this I'm missing?

Most likely the reason a lot of them are adding moisterizers, is because the alcohol have been found to dry out hands, and the moisturizers are added to counteract that effect.

hearthtender
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, July 31st, 2010 @ 07:14 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Swedish/Irish
    Ancestry
    Swedish Irish ?English?
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Classical liberal
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Many if not most sold around here have other ingredients in them to kill germs.

I do not like them but have used them occasionally. I think that they and other antigerm things are overused. I make my children wash their hands pretty frequently. I wash my hands 8-10+ times a day with different tasks. If they get dried out I make an oil/lanolin/water lotion for them.

I do not want my storage tubs to be impregnated with triclosan.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave.
    "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." Dag Hammarskjold
    "Children know the truth. Love is not an emotion. Love is behavior." Andrew Vachss

A.K.A. Autobahn
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, April 12th, 2012 @ 09:59 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Gaul, England, Austria, Canada
    Subrace
    Paleo-Atlantid
    Country
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single adult
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Hand sanitizers are very convenient, if you work in restaurants, where you are constantly in contact with food. They save a lot of time, when it comes to having to wash your hands constantly. Rubber gloves cannot protect you or anyone else from germs, all of the time