Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Is There Any Reason I Should Buy a VW Golf Over a Ford Focus?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    Thursday, February 10th, 2011 @ 01:19 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England England
    Gender
    Posts
    478
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Is There Any Reason I Should Buy a VW Golf Over a Ford Focus?

    Are Golfs worth the extra money? Their design only looks good for shopping, it looks like a boring shopping car for accountants. I want a hatchback I can shove my mountain bike in and the focus looks big at the back, but Ive heard they feel cheap inside. Are Golfs worth the extra money really in the long run?

  2. #2
    Senior Member NatRev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Last Online
    Tuesday, September 20th, 2011 @ 09:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Anglo Saxon
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Location
    Midlands
    Gender
    Age
    49
    Family
    Having a longtime compani
    Politics
    red-brown-green
    Religion
    Pantheist
    Posts
    634
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was going to get a Focus. My sisters's got one but I felt it was just too big for me. I can understand if you've got kids, it's got the luxury of size and that, may get one in a year or two though.
    "Only through a re-integration of Humanity into the whole of Nature can our People be made stronger."

  3. #3
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    The Horned God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Location
    Ireland
    Gender
    Age
    41
    Family
    Single adult
    Posts
    2,248
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    8
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    You might be better off asking that question on a motoring forum.

    Anyway, here are two different opinions;

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=



    If it's between those two I'd probably get the focus. I don't think the VW is worth the extra money.
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

  4. #4
    Like nobody else
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 01:31 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Swedish and Danish
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Age
    35
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    NS
    Religion
    NS
    Posts
    687
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    29
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    If you don't have any problems in buying a car that'll break down from time to time and that'll get eaten by the rust - buy a Ford.

    One shouldn't by a car based on it's looks really. Ford is pure crap today. I'm not a fan of VW either, but the quality of a VW is way better than the quality of a Ford.

    I would gladly by myself an Astra - every day of the week.
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule,
    where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    Thursday, February 10th, 2011 @ 01:19 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England England
    Gender
    Posts
    478
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Enya View Post
    If you don't have any problems in bying a car that'll broke down from time to time and that'll get eaten by the rust - by a Ford.

    One shouldn't by a car based on it's looks really. Ford is pure crap today. I'm not a fan of VW either, but the quality of a VW is way beter than the quality of a Ford.

    I would gladly by myself an Astra - every day of the week.
    The astra is the other car I am considering, thanks Enya.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Drottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 @ 03:32 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway and Germany
    Subrace
    Scando nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Nordland Nordland
    Location
    Håleyg
    Gender
    Occupation
    Høvding
    Politics
    None
    Religion
    Norse gods customs culture
    Posts
    159
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Hmm

    Well i guess it is different opinions, this is mine:

    Opel Astra=Crap about 20 problems as i can recall
    VW=Crap about 15 problems
    Ford Focus =Good 2 problems (this is one of 2 good Ford models..)

    I have had all of these cars tha last 10 years. Focus by far the car with less problems.. I will recommend not to own these cars above 100 000 km..

  7. #7
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Æmeric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Gender
    Age
    57
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Posts
    6,271
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    573
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    522
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enya View Post
    If you don't have any problems in bying a car that'll broke down from time to time and that'll get eaten by the rust - by a Ford.

    One shouldn't by a car based on it's looks really. Ford is pure crap today. I'm not a fan of VW either, but the quality of a VW is way beter than the quality of a Ford.

    I would gladly by myself an Astra - every day of the week.


    I'm in the process of helping a young relative buy a car and I'm leaning towards the Focus. I would prefer to buy an American model & the fact that Ford didn't file bankruptcy gives me greater confidence in their vehicles. I also hold their trucks in high regard.

  8. #8
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Bittereinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    Monday, May 6th, 2019 @ 07:52 PM
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Netherlands, Germany & Norway
    Subrace
    Faordiby
    State
    Orange Free State Orange Free State
    Location
    Grootrivier
    Gender
    Age
    36
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Cognitive Dissident
    Politics
    Verwoerdian
    Religion
    Heretic
    Posts
    1,593
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    200
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    281
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortress Germania View Post
    Are Golfs worth the extra money? Their design only looks good for shopping, it looks like a boring shopping car for accountants. I want a hatchback I can shove my mountain bike in and the focus looks big at the back, but Ive heard they feel cheap inside. Are Golfs worth the extra money really in the long run?
    I bought a new VW Golf 6 1.4 TSi a month ago, I replaced my VW Polo 1.9 TDI. I also looked at the Focus 1.8 SI, Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 GLS, Honda Civic 1.8.

    Things I liked about the Ford Focus.

    Proven naturally aspirated 1.8 Engine.
    Excellent handeling that gives you confidence. (Which is a focus trait).
    Reasonable fuel economy with reasonable performance.
    Excellent amount of boot space.
    20000 KM Service intervals.
    Independent rear suspension.

    Dislikes

    Shape change due in SA in about a year which will influence resale value.
    Cheapish looking interior (even though well built the "bling" looks cheap).
    Not the biggest second hand market.

    Things I liked about the VW Golf

    It's a VW.
    It was designed by Germans...
    The 1.4TSi is a gem of an engine.
    6 Gears forward
    Build quality on the interior is noticeably better than other models I considered.
    Good Fuel economy on the open road (7.3 Liters per 100km's at about 135km/h)
    Resale value of VW's is the best of all manufacturers in SA.
    Did I mention it is a VW?
    A very solid feeling on the road and in corners.
    VW is known for more conservative styling, but that does give their appeal longevity which you wont get from a Ford IMO.
    Just look at it:

    Dislikes

    I have opted for a full alloi spare which that has taken a big chunk out of the boot space.
    Is a little on the thirsty side in town (10.1 Liters Per 100km's) when compared to the Diesel I drove.
    Its only a Golf 5.5 and its shape should change again in about 2-3 years in SA
    Concerning the boot space, the Ford is definitely better endowed there, however I still think you will need to collapse the seats before fitting in a mountain bike just like you will be doing with the Golf...

    This is my fourth VW and even though I consider other cars each time I buy; I still end up at VW every time...
    My father has owned a Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 for about 7 years now, the only thing which has gone wrong in all that time has been an accelerator cable. So Ford is definitely not a bad buy... But I'll still have the VW.

    Which models are you looking at and what is the price difference? according to the models I looked at the price on the Golf was about R20000 (about 2000 pounds) more than the Ford and I bought the Golf because the resale value here basically nullifies the price difference.
    There is only one way to buy a car, go and drive it...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Although the word "Commando" was wrongly used to describe all Boer soldiers, a commando was a unit formed from a particular district. None of the units was organized in regular companies, battalions or squadrons. The Boer commandos were individualists who were difficult to control, resented formal discipline or orders, and earned a British jibe that"every Boer was his own general".

  9. #9
    Like nobody else
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 01:31 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Swedish and Danish
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Age
    35
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    NS
    Religion
    NS
    Posts
    687
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    29
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drottin View Post
    Well i guess it is different opinions, this is mine:

    Opel Astra=Crap about 20 problems as i can recall
    VW=Crap about 15 problems
    Ford Focus =Good 2 problems (this is one of 2 good Ford models..)

    I have had all of these cars tha last 10 years. Focus by far the car with less problems.. I will recommend not to own these cars above 100 000 km..
    Opel were listed number 1 in Autobilds quality report of all german car manufacturer for several years in a row, and all Opel lovers know Astra is one of the absolute best models of this brand. Sorry to hear that you've had your share of bad cars, but it doesn't change the statistics, Opel is one of the best brand of cars you can buy these days AND, you get so much car for your money! Opel isn't expensive and yet it's quality.

    Insignia was elected "Car of the Year" without even leaving the factory yet, almost. Great cars!

    http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php...many&Itemid=53

    PS, Just have to add that my family has driven Opel since 1957, it's quite a while now, and we sure know what we're talking about.
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule,
    where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%.

  10. #10
    Like nobody else
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 01:31 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Swedish and Danish
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Age
    35
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    NS
    Religion
    NS
    Posts
    687
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    29
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Æmeric View Post
    I'm in the process of helping a young relative buy a car and I'm leaning towards the Focus. I would prefer to buy an American model & the fact that Ford didn't file bankruptcy gives me greater confidence in their vehicles. I also hold their trucks in high regard.
    Focus is still the same crap that was made in Germany, sorry to say. It also depends on where you live of course, in Sweden no one should buy a Ford if they are afraid of rust. I've seen way to many examples of almost brand new Focuses that already have rust problems.

    If I ever would consider in buying a Ford it'll be a Mustang or any other REAL Ford. Not these "flat" Fords..
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule,
    where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The History of Golf
    By Frans_Jozef in forum Scotland
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Thursday, December 21st, 2006, 10:24 PM
  2. Golf van aanslagen sinds 2 november
    By Whodamn in forum Netherlands & Flanders
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sunday, November 14th, 2004, 03:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •