Thread: Dunkirk: Are We Finally Ready to Face the Truth?

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

Dunkirk: Are We Finally Ready to Face the Truth?

Peter Hitchens - Daily Mail (Britain)

I think enough time has passed since Dunkirk for us to admit the truth about it. It was not a triumph, but a terrible national defeat - surpassed in the 20th Century only by the other Churchillian catastrophe of Singapore in 1942. Having entered a war for which we were wholly unready, for a cause which was already lost, at a time we did not choose and with allies on whom we could not rely, we were flung off the continent of Europe in weeks. Only thanks to a double devil's pact did we survive as a nation. We sold our economy and our empire to Franklin Roosevelt's USA, and we handed half of Europe to Joseph Stalin's homicidal tyranny. They won the war in the end, though we had to contribute many lives to their victory.
    http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co....l-nursery.html

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 23rd, 2020 @ 12:32 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norsk/Kelt
    Ancestry
    Norge/Eireann
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Nordic Union Nordic Union
    Kompliziert!
    Occupation
    Border Protection
    Politics
    Volksgemeinschaft
    Religion
    Ásatrú
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Hitler made a major mistake in blatantly allowing the BEF to escape at Dunkirk.. This offering of goodwill to Britain was laughed at in the corridors of westminster..
    Wahrheit Macht Freiheit.
    http://www.rheinwiesenlager.de
    HISTORY IS NOT HISTORY - UNLESS IT IS THE 100% TRUTH

Last Online
    Sunday, June 17th, 2018 @ 06:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I'm not sure how I feel about such single-minded British nationalism that blurs any appreciation of the greater folk as a whole. Hitler always expressed admiration for England and I'd like to think he'd have left them alone if the British wouldn't have interfered with Germany's goals. Dunkirk, the loss of the Empire, etc. are failures that Britain itself created.

Churchill was the perfect embodiment of this...he more than anyone prevented an alliance with Germany that Hitler would not only have accepted, but welcomed.

The following is a review of Pat Buchanan's book detailing Churchill's foreign policy toward Germany:

Great Britain's "carcass of dead policies"

In the first chapter titled "The End of 'Splendid Isolation,'" Buchanan walks the reader through the arms race leading up to World War I. Buchanan portrays Germany as a country innocently trying to build up a navy for itself and Great Britain undermining Germany at every step in order to maintain her supremacy in the seas (A future article will cover the issues with this angle).

Buchanan portrays Great Britain's efforts to stay superior as nothing more than out-dated, political dogma. To drive home his point and to somehow tie Churchill to the situation, he gives a portion of a correspondence between Lord Londonderry and Churchill from 1936 (more than 3 decades later). While the correspondence does not directly address the arms race leading up to World War I, Buchanan offers it as an example of an Englishman blindly supporting what Buchanan sees as an out-dated policy.

It is important to note upfront that Buchanan says the correspondence took place in 1938, but it actually took place in 1936.

To British statesmen, maintaining a balance of power was dogma. In 1938, Lord Londonderry, back from a meeting with Hitler, wrote Churchill, "I should like to get out of your mind what appears to be a strong anti-German obsession." Churchill replied that Londonderry was "mistaken in supposing that I have an anti-German obsession," and went on to explain:
    British policy for four hundred years has been to oppose the strongest power in Europe by weaving together a combination of other countries strong enough to face the bully. Sometimes it is Spain, sometimes the French monarchy, sometimes Germany. I have no doubt about who it is now. But if France set up to claim the over-lordship of Europe, I should equally endeavour to oppose them. It is thus through the centuries we have kept our liberties and maintained our life and power.
    Twice this policy would bring Britain into war with Germany until, by 1945, Britain was too weak to play the role any longer. She would lose her empire because of what Lord Salisbury had said in 1877 was the "commonest error in politics . . . sticking to the carcass of dead policies." (Buchanan, pp. 20-21)
    http://www.digitalsurvivors.com/arch...ticaldogma.php

Anachronism
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Germany, Norway, England
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Leo
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Farther right than you.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    456 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Untersberger View Post
    Hitler made a major mistake in blatantly allowing the BEF to escape at Dunkirk.. This offering of goodwill to Britain was laughed at in the corridors of westminster..
    I've thought for many years that this was the one chance Germany had to really, truly win the war as she wanted to, quickly and with as little bloodshed as possible. The BEF was the heart and soul of the British Army, over 300,000 strong, and the difference between them being available for service and being stuck in a POW camp was just incalculably great at that point in the war. The loss of the BEF would in fact have dealt a much greater blow to England than the losses at Stalingrad did to Germany, I think. It might even have prompted Britain to sue for peace. At Dunkirk, we all lost..