One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Geto-Dacian & German (Moldova, Transylvania, Austrian Empire, Mecklenburg)
    Óšins męr
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    464 Posts
    I own many flags, and I'm planning to get some more.

I own, of course, the national flag of my country of origin, in different sizes and versions. I also made myself the Mecklenburg flag (due to ancestry connections), and, what's interesting, my country flag can be confused with it, in ribbon version, for example. Hehe. Good for me, they both have double meaning.
    I also own the Norwegian flag (I reside in Norway for now, so I think it's at least a sign of respect), and, besides tiny flags on specific clothes (mainly flags of Germany in different periods), some other I'd rather not mention.

I would like to get or make myself the flag of (historical) Moldavia, and also a Dacian flag.
    Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.

Last Online
    Saturday, July 27th, 2019 @ 12:19 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Oxon, Bucks and Ulster
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Politics
    Nationalism, Neoreactionary
    Religion
    God the father
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I too have a white dragon flag, along with a Wessex wyvern and Cross of St George. Unfortunately they are folded up somewhere, which is something to be rectified

This contrasts with my younger days when I had the flag of the USSR on my bedroom wall

Anachronism "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Germany, Norway, England
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Leo
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Farther right than you.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    359 Posts
    I have these:

Imperial naval war ensign

Flag of Norway

Like nobody else
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 01:54 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Swedish and Danish
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    Country
    State
    California California
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    NS
    Religion
    NS
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I've got one flag, and one flag only. It's the flag of my Organization.

I refuse to put a Swedish flag in my home. It sure has a great history, but just the thought of having a flag with a big christian cross all over it in my home makes me shudder. So no thanks.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    30 Minutes Ago @ 04:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Y-DNA
    I1a1
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    I only have a small Norwegian "hand flag"

Quote Originally Posted by Enya View Post
    I refuse to put a Swedish flag in my home. It sure has a great history, but just the thought of having a flag with a big christian cross all over it in my home makes me shudder. So no thanks.
    You could just turn it upside-down

Personally, I don't think of the Nordic-cross flags as "Christian flags". Christianity may have been it's origin, but in my mind, the Nordic cross have evolved into something of it's own.

When I look at my own country's flag, Christianity is the furthest away from my mind. All I can think about is the beauty of my land, my folk and my ancestral culture.

And isn't that what symbolism is all about - provocing certain thoughts and emotions in the viewer? What does it matter then where the symbol has it's origins?

Still, when all is said and done, I would prefer our flags were based upon the symbols of our own. But it is of no real importance.

Like nobody else
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 01:54 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Swedish and Danish
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    Country
    State
    California California
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    NS
    Religion
    NS
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vestfoldingr View Post
    When I look at my own country's flag, Christianity is the furthest away from my mind. All I can think about is the beauty of my land, my folk and my ancestral culture.

And isn't that what symbolism is all about - provocing certain thoughts and emotions in the viewer? What does it matter then where the symbol has it's origins?

Still, when all is said and done, I would prefer our flags were based upon the symbols of our own. But it is of no real importance.
    I don't agree with you in everything you just wrote. Yes, ofcourse one can see the glory and the great history when looking at your countrys flag, I admitted that the Swedish flag has a wonderful history from "the good 'ol days" and the flag has with no doubt been a powerful and glorious marking for my people for a long long time.

I can see everything you see when you look at your countrys flag, but I also see the flag that were made in a Christian society, and the whole flag is to me a symbol of the Christian faith, and I can't allow such a flag in my home. I look beyond the time of Christianity..

If our flag once turned into a Christian symbol, a religion that has it's roots in Judaism, it can also turn into a symbol of Islam or any other insane belief any day.. In some years that flag would be a part of your countrys history also, just like the Christian cross/Christian faith has been. I'm not going to accept anything that destructive when it comes to my people - even if it's "just a flag".

Last Online
    Sunday, June 17th, 2018 @ 07:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I have a big St. George's cross flag. I'd like to get an Anglo-Saxon white dragon flag and the colonial, '13 stars circle' American flag, but I'm trying to hold off on unecessary purchases until I get a paid summer job.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 11:16 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    Actually you've given a good reason not to fly that flag, despite the fact that it kindles all those feelings. When I look at the Austrian flag, I remember all these feelings as well: Our mountains, forests, rivers, my ancestral culture, my folk, a warm summer's day under a breeze out here in the countryside.

However, it also reminds me about the painful separation from our brothers in Germany. And it is precisely for that reason that I leave it in a drawer and do not hang it; I am ashamed to put up a flag which assumed such dangerous propaganda as that there was something like an "Austrian people" or an "Austrian natons", which is of course absolute, re-education nonsense seeking to use the North/South divide as an instrument to drive an eternal wedge between us as has been done before with the Swiss or the Dutch.

For that reason it is impossible for me to fly a flag which reminds me of all that.

I'm thinking the origin is more important than the current meaning. I have no problem with flying the Black-Red-Yellow flag since it was originally meant to be a sign of the Greater German Solution, it is only being misappropriated by the FRG; and with misappropriation I can still see the clear colours through the taint.

However, I see where she is coming from in regards to the Swedish flag: Where something had an originally constructive meaning, the corruption can be purged, like it is possible to clean a dirty stream. However, what it if was tainted to begin with? There is nothing to cleanse if it was tainted to begin with.

The cross is a symbol of our own, actually. Not a Christian cross like that, but umpteen variations of sun-crosses ring a bell?
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    30 Minutes Ago @ 04:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Y-DNA
    I1a1
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Actually you've given a good reason not to fly that flag, despite the fact that it kindles all those feelings.
    What reasons are those?

I'm thinking the origin is more important than the current meaning.
    When you're waving a flag around, you do it because you try to communicate something. If you were waving a flag with a big swastika on it, you would not communicate Germanic heathenism, Hinduism or what-ever. You'd be communicating Nazism.

However, I see where she is coming from in regards to the Swedish flag: Where something had an originally constructive meaning, the corruption can be purged, like it is possible to clean a dirty stream. However, what it if was tainted to begin with? There is nothing to cleanse if it was tainted to begin with.
    That's a nice piece of rhetoric. Unfortunately, nothing more.

The cross is a symbol of our own, actually. Not a Christian cross like that, but umpteen variations of sun-crosses ring a bell?
    No sun-crosses I've ever seen are missing a circle around the cross and have one arm longer than the others. If you know of one, please provide an image of it.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 11:16 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    What reasons are those?
    As I stated. That it reminds of the painful separation from our brothers. Of course some could argue that it differentiates not at all from the Black-Red-Yellow design of the German flag, since it is an ancient flag.

Then again, the most commonly cited legend for the origin of the Red-White-Flag is the Third Crusade, I'm not interested in a flag that was created as a sign of a "Christian hero" (Emperor Leopold V) suffering and bleeding and his wounds being tended to. At a time when my region was still soundly part of Bavaria, anyway.

So with the Austrian flag, I like neither the current meaning, nor the original meaning, nor actually the intermediate meaning as to it being a secondary flag (primary flag colours were the black-yellow) and heraldic shield-sign (i.e. coat of arms main achievement colours) used during the Habsburg rule, including the latter periods with which I connect being more interested in Slavics than Germanics.

The Swedish flag, as a flag is not original, but derived from the Dannebrog, the Danish flag. This flag dates back to 1219, and has a more damning meaning for anyone that is of Heathen faith, actually. It is believed to date to the missioning battles against the Heathen Estonians. When the battle appeared to be lost, a Dannebrog - so the legend tells - came from the sky and killed the Estonians.

The colours itself of the Danish flag, red and white, were used by the Vikings on their raids of course, economic reasons for the choice of red might have been of importance here. Then again the colours are not the problem, same as with the Swedish flag.

Overall I don't see it as a problem to fly that flag, and understand reasons why to fly it. However I certainly also understand reasons why someone would not fly it on that highly Christian and anti-Heathen history.

When you're waving a flag around, you do it because you try to communicate something. If you were waving a flag with a big swastika on it, you would not communicate Germanic heathenism, Hinduism or what-ever. You'd be communicating Nazism.
    This totally depends on the place you are waving it. A friend had a blood-flag with a "Celtic suncross" (that is, in "Stormfront style"), which he showed when police officers came around upon the hint he might be flying a "Nazi flag". When they saw that, they just shrugged and left again. That was in Scotland. In Germany, that one would have been confiscated as well.

So that it still means different things in different countries shows us that meanings can be "corrupted", or perhaps "not yet tainted". As such it is possible to cleanse a flag, a sign from a meaning you wish not to be associated with. It will take a while, but once a certain threshold is reached, a symbol becomes fair to use again.

When it was tainted to begin with, what exactly are we trying to cleanse? When the muddy stream was mud before it was mud and water, you're not going to get the mud out.

That is, I don't have a problem with what you termed as "Nazism", but I'm rather talking out of principle here.

That's a nice piece of rhetoric. Unfortunately, nothing more.
    It is more. A hollow box can be filled with meaningful contents. An intact box filled with cockroaches can be cleansed of cockroaches and reused after leaving it idle and washing it. A box not intact cannot be emptied, filled or cleansed.

So it may seem like empty rhetoric now - much as how you will dismiss what I said above again as well. , but if you can follow the analogy, I hope you see what I am hinting at.

No sun-crosses I've ever seen are missing a circle around the cross and have one arm longer than the others. If you know of one, please provide an image of it.
    Not a Germanic example in this case, but I will allow myself an argument from nothing and say that if Greeks knew non-circled crosses 1600BCE (and Italic folks for that matter), that this may have also been the case for other Indo-European groups, including Germanics.

-In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast